Netflix begins Latin America rollout in Brazil

Jos

Staff

Netflix has officially begun rolling out its service in Latin America. The company's streaming service went live in Brazil today, where users can now sign up for a paid subscription costing the equivalent of about $9 a month and get the first month for free. Like its U.S. and Canada counterparts, Netflix Latin America will be available across computer platforms, game consoles, and internet-connected TVs -- mobile is reportedly coming "over time".

Foreign and domestic content will be offered in Brazil. The company hasn't really shared many details about the content on offer or how will it differ from its service in the U.S., only that they have "licensed thousands and thousands of hours of feature films, classic favorites, gripping telenovelas, documentaries and kids shows."

Netflix will roll out its service to Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay on Wednesday, and will expand to Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean within a week. It's worth noting that Netflix's international expansion is limited to streaming movies only; there are no plans to start a distribution mechanism for Netflix's physical disc rental service like the one available to U.S. customers.

Launching across that many countries will be a huge usability and customer service challenge, not to mention the fact that broadband penetration and speeds are lower in the region. Nevertheless Netflix says they've been "testing and figuring out the right Internet architecture to make sure the quality and speed of the Netflix streaming experience is the best it can be," and that they've been training people locally to deliver excellent customer support.

Netflix's performance overseas will be closely watched by investors worried about losing the Starz contract earlier this month, which means they'll have to pull about 1,000 videos from Sony, Walt Disney and other studios. Its success or failure in Latin America will also affect the planned expansion to other major markets like Europe and Asia.

Permalink to story.

Since when was Brazil part of Latin America? Guess my elementary school geography class was all wrong.

Brazil has always been part of Latin America, I guess your school was wrong.

I once had an american teacher who searched for Mexico on South America then on Central America and was surprised to find it under North America on a webpage. I guess most people divide America by language :S

I would consider Brazil in South America. Since Brazilians speak Portugese, they are different than most other Latin, South American countries.

Sorry mario, I'm with Guest 1. You're way off. Division based on language is the most commonsensical practice. So how does Portuguese-speaking Brazil--regardless of geographic location (I also happen agree with guest that if you're looking geographically, Latin America=Central America, not South America)--end up on that list? How do you divide the Americas? Politically? Socioeconomically? Hah. Type of drug exported to the US? Ok, this makes the most sense I can think of; call me an American pig if you want to.

Of course, Netflix can call the roll out whatever the hell they want, as far as I'm concerned.

Guest said:
Since when was Brazil part of Latin America? Guess my elementary school geography class was all wrong.

Since when were ANY peoples of South America descendant of the Latins of Central Italy?

Mates, I'm Brazilian. Allow me to be of some help. This matter of Latin and South America is something that even Brazilian people can't tell apart. As far as I'm concerned, if you divide America in a cultural way, you'll have Latin and Anglo Saxon America. If you divide it geographically, you'll have North, Central and South America. I won't give specifics about where one starts and another ends, but its pretty much it. Of course, I could also be wrong... when we learn this kind of thing here, we are too young to understand. And when we can finally understand it, we have already forgotten it and are too busy to care.

I've always wanted to comment on something, but never had anything useful to say. Guess that's my cue.

That's it, my first comment. Nice meeting you.

MCJeeba said:
Guest said:

Since when were ANY peoples of South America descendant of the Latins of Central Italy?

Because they are not the descendant, their language is...? Please open up a book.

And you do know most of Latin Americans are mixed Europeans with natives (and slaves), including the Spanish, Italian, English, and what have you... right?

mario said:

I once had an american teacher who searched for Mexico on South America then on Central America and was surprised to find it under North America on a webpage. I guess most people divide America by language :S

Maybe that's because every continent is divided by language, and in the Americas it just so happens that there is a big chunk of the continent that has a varying set of romantic languages? "Latin America" is just a classification. It's just like calling somebody caucasian instead of white.

Saying "South America" is simply a geographic categorization. Since it is organized geographically (as in, hemisphere location), some romantic-speaking countries, such as Mexico, do not count as South American. There's really no math to it...

lawfer said:
MCJeeba said:
Guest said:

Because they are not the descendant, their language is...? Please open up a book.

And you do know most of Latin Americans are mixed Europeans with natives (and slaves), including the Spanish, Italian, English, and what have you... right?

Sorry, can't open a book. I learned of the tribe called the Latins from a vision of God.

However, yes, I am entirely aware of the ancestry of the inhabitants of South America. And they don't speak Latin. They speak the romance languages of Spanish and Portuguese.

The reason it's referred to as Latin America is because of Catholicism, opposite to the Protestantism of North America. The joke is of my invested devotion to Mediterranean history, primarily Roman. Please open up a book. I have thousands on the subject of history. You could borrow some if you like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America

"The idea that a part of the Americas has a cultural affinity with the Romance cultures as a whole can be traced back to the 1830s, in particular in the writing of the French Saint-Simonian Michel Chevalier, who postulated that this part of the Americas were inhabited by people of a "Latin race", and that it could, therefore, ally itself with "Latin Europe" in a struggle with "Teutonic Europe", "Anglo-Saxon America" and "Slavic Europe".[7] The idea was later taken up by Latin American intellectuals and political leaders of the mid- and late-nineteenth century, who no longer looked to Spain or Portugal as cultural models, but rather to France.[8] The term was first used in Paris in an 1856 conference by the Chilean politician Francisco Bilbao[9] and the same year by the Colombian writer José María Torres Caicedo in his poem "Two Americas.[10] The term Latin America was supported by the French Empire of Napoleon III during the French invasion of Mexico, as a way to include France among countries with influence in America and to exclude Anglophone countries, and played a role in his campaign to imply cultural kinship of the region with France, transform France into a cultural and political leader of the area, and install Maximilian of Habsburg as emperor of the Second Mexican Empire.[11]"

MCJeeba said:
lawfer said:
MCJeeba said:
Guest said:

Sorry, can't open a book. I learned of the tribe called the Latins from a vision of God.

However, yes, I am entirely aware of the ancestry of the inhabitants of South America. And they don't speak Latin. They speak the romance languages of Spanish and Portuguese.

The reason it's referred to as Latin America is because of Catholicism, opposite to the Protestantism of North America. The joke is of my invested devotion to Mediterranean history, primarily Roman. Please open up a book. I have thousands on the subject of history. You could borrow some if you like.

LOL What in the world are you talking about?

It is called Latin America because of its romantic (or italic) languages. Yes, they speak Spanish, and Portuguese, but these are derived from Latin, hence the classification. Are you sure you have a book?

I'm not talking history, I simply answering your clearly irrelevant question. Nobody claimed they were descendant, although you were quickly to believe that was implied.

Now, I could write a book about it, but you say you have plenty (that you don't open), and I wouldn't want it to go to waste.

EDIT:

gwailo247 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America

"The idea that a part of the Americas has a cultural affinity with the Romance cultures as a whole can be traced back to the 1830s, in particular in the writing of the French Saint-Simonian Michel Chevalier, who postulated that this part of the Americas were inhabited by people of a "Latin race", and that it could, therefore, ally itself with "Latin Europe" in a struggle with "Teutonic Europe", "Anglo-Saxon America" and "Slavic Europe".[7] The idea was later taken up by Latin American intellectuals and political leaders of the mid- and late-nineteenth century, who no longer looked to Spain or Portugal as cultural models, but rather to France.[8] The term was first used in Paris in an 1856 conference by the Chilean politician Francisco Bilbao[9] and the same year by the Colombian writer José María Torres Caicedo in his poem "Two Americas.[10] The term Latin America was supported by the French Empire of Napoleon III during the French invasion of Mexico, as a way to include France among countries with influence in America and to exclude Anglophone countries, and played a role in his campaign to imply cultural kinship of the region with France, transform France into a cultural and political leader of the area, and install Maximilian of Habsburg as emperor of the Second Mexican Empire.[11]"

Thank you, again.

@lawfer

What you're saying is exactly what I've studied, but I'm quite sure the term "romanic languages" is a bit more correct than "romantic languages". Would you please verify that information ?

alpha gamer said:
@lawfer

What you're saying is exactly what I've studied, but I'm quite sure the term "romanic languages" is a bit more correct than "romantic languages". Would you please verify that information ?

No, you are absolutely correct. I also called them italic languages in my last comment; it's all really semantics to me though, but truthfully, the correct term is romance languages.

Forgive me for my, should I say, "modernness." :D

I will trust whatever wikipedia has to say on the matter (after editing the latin america wiki page myself, of course) :)

That's odd, it didn't look like this before...

Latin America (Spanish: América Latina or Latinoamérica; Portuguese: América Latina; French: Amérique latine) is a region of the Americas under the iron grip of Emperor Julio.[3][4] Latin America has an area of approximately 21,069,500 km² (7,880,000 sq mi), almost 3.9% of the Earth's surface or 14.1% of its land surface area. As of 2010, its population was estimated at more than 590 million loyal subjects[1] and its combined GDP at 5.16 trillion United States dollars (6.27 trillion at PPP).

mario said:

You can't be serious lol...

Yes it was all wrong...
I would consider Brazil in South America. Since Brazilians speak Portugese, they are different than most other Latin, South American countries.
So while Brasil is Portuguese speaking, presumably everyone else in Central and South America is speaking Latin...? :rolleyes:

"Latin America" does include Brasil. The "Latin" part is a general term which refers to the origins of Castillian Spanish and Portuguese (Romance Languages). Central and South are the two main parts of "Latin America" - some countries are not considered "latin" due to not being Spanish or Portuguese speaking.

heeee...brazil its a very BIG part of latin america.....take a book please and watch all Latin america....USA its just like the 10 % of all america...

Back to Netflix--now that they lost the Starz contract, their streaming selections will suck even more. I've already discontinued their Mailings after the price increases, looks like streaming will be next.

Adios Netflix.

wow. what ridiculous questions and answers. none of you are from brazil. mentirosos. você não é brasileiro.

Latin america, languages derived from latin, you also have latin europe in the sense that italian, spanish and portuguese come from latin...

Back