Netflix is being sued by people paid to watch the streaming company's shows

midian182

Staff member

To most people, the idea of a full-time job that consists of watching Netflix all day sounds like heaven. Surprisingly, this is a real occupation; but two former employees didn’t find it to be their dream career - they’re suing the company over unfair working conditions.

Netflix runs a secret program called, for some reason, “Project Beetlejuice.” Those who take part – called “juicers” – are paid $10 for every movie or show they watch. But their job doesn’t involve just viewing Netflix’s content; they have to pick out the still images and videos that best represent the titles.

According to a report in the Hollywood Reporter, Netflix is facing two putative class action lawsuits in Los Angeles Superior Court. The first was filed in November by Long Beach resident Lawrence Moss, the second was filed in May by L.A. resident Cigdem Akbay.

The pair claim that members of Project Beetlejuice are being misclassified as contractors instead of employees, allowing the company to avoid providing employee benefits such as overtime, paid vacations, holidays, and a 401(k) plan. They also say the $10-per-program fee isn’t high enough.

Both Moss and Akbay claim they worked closely with Netflix management and often spent more than 40 hours a week on their jobs. Akbay says that despite theoretically being able to set her own hours (juicers work from home), the deadlines imposed on her by Netflix “imposed a rigid work schedule.” She added that once she told the company Project Beetlejuice had become her full-time occupation, she was fired.

A number of companies are facing lawsuits alleging that they misclassify employees, the most high-profile case being Uber’s. The ride-hailing firm recently agreed to a $100 million settlement in a pair of class-action suits, yet it continues to classify drivers as contractors.

Netflix said it doesn't comment on active litigation.

Permalink to story.

When you sign these deals, the contracts explicitly lay out the fact that you are a contractor. What we have here (and in the case of Uber), is a bunch of greedy small fries trying to boost their indirect income by getting judges to invalidate and redefine said contracts on the basis of magic.

Why are you even trying to make that side job a full time job?

Some side jobs can be converted (Uber, various contract gigs in the financial sector, etc.). This one can't be due to the structure of the business. They are trying because they don't have a whole lot of horsepower upstairs.

Yet another example of overly self-entitled people who think It's Not Fair (tm) and will end up ruining things for everyone else.

You signed a contract for a flat fee per item. That makes you a contractor. The end. I can't imagine this even making it through a preliminary hearing.

Let's see, you're paid to sit on your azz and watch a movie....then you complain? BS
Yet another example of overly self-entitled people who think It's Not Fair (tm) and will end up ruining things for everyone else.

You signed a contract for a flat fee per item. That makes you a contractor. The end. I can't imagine this even making it through a preliminary hearing.
"They also say the $10-per-program fee isn't high enough."

OMFG!!! Cry me a freakin river... Then STFU you crybaby person. Try a REAL job...

So it's really a suck *** job, have you done something repeatedly that you loved at one point? It sucks.

Now, they get paid $10 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to watch the movie, while having to spend an extreme attention to detail and do some more work for maybe another half an hour, let's round it up to $10 for 2 1/2 hours, that's $4 per hour, if you work on shitty retail jobs you spend most of the time on your *** ignoring customers and make much much more than that.

So... think a couple minutes before vomiting on your keyboard.

Edit: Also consider that there is no way to watch only things you enjoy on the long run, you will have to watch those movies you can't unwatch!

I'm going to side with the little people this time and mainly because of this part: "...the deadlines imposed on her by Netflix “imposed a rigid work schedule.” She added that once she told the company Project Beetlejuice had become her full-time occupation, she was fired."

There are still too many unknowns of course but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to screw someone over.

Let's see, you're paid to sit on your azz and watch a movie....then you complain? BS

"They also say the $10-per-program fee isn't high enough."

OMFG!!! Cry me a freakin river... Then STFU you crybaby person. Try a REAL job...

So it's really a suck *** job, have you done something repeatedly that you loved at one point? It sucks.

Now, they get paid $10 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to watch the movie, while having to spend an extreme attention to detail and do some more work for maybe another half an hour, let's round it up to $10 for 2 1/2 hours, that's $4 per hour, if you work on shitty retail jobs you spend most of the time on your *** ignoring customers and make much much more than that.

Edit: Also consider that there is no way to watch only things you enjoy on the long run, you will have to watch those movies you can't unwatch!
Movies and shows. Lots of 30 minute shows that also pay the $10.

I would like the names of the persons who twisted their arms to take that job.

They don't have to watch the show.... Stream it, do what you want while its playing, then pick some random scene to best describe the show. I see it all the time when I'm picking something to watch the picture relates very little to the show when I actually watch it. Like others have said, " Get a real job! " It offends me, I work hard all day long 13+ hours as a mechanic, and welder. I make 16.50 an hour, with good benefits, and 401K is matched, and have been working for the same company for 14 years. So I get offended when I hear of people flipping burgers, and think its worth 15.00 /hr. Its not! That is a high school kid job, to teach them responsibility, and respect for the boss. To teach them when to speak up, and when not to. To teach them to be humble when a customer is pissed. If your 30 years old and still flipping burgers you still deserve what little it pays.

Now, back to Netflix. The only thing I can see as an issue here is the "schedule". This "job" should strictly be a "at your
convenience, and would be excellent for stay at home moms, a babysitter, the elderly, and others. So, if you watch 1 show a week, you get $10 a week. If you watch 100 shows a week, you get $1000 a week, but it should be up to the individual how much they want to watch, and that is what they should be suing about, not the pay. Its not that important a job... In fact the flipping a burger is more important.

10 bucks a show? Maybe for a 22 minute sitcom but for a full length feature film - that's crazy. I mean don't get me wrong, sitting around binge watching House of Cards is one thing, I got to pick that show but these people likely are told what they need to watch. Good googa mooga, Netflix is so cluttered with junk, yikes!

When you sign these deals, the contracts explicitly lay out the fact that you are a contractor. What we have here (and in the case of Uber), is a bunch of greedy small fries trying to boost their indirect income by getting judges to invalidate and redefine said contracts on the basis of magic.

Why are you even trying to make that side job a full time job?

Some side jobs can be converted (Uber, various contract gigs in the financial sector, etc.). This one can't be due to the structure of the business. They are trying because they don't have a whole lot of horsepower upstairs.

Not quite, you can;t break the law by claiming in a contract that you are "not breaking the law". An employee has a pretty strict definition and companies violate that frequently. The courts will decide this one, they don;t look like plumbers or carpenters, though, I'll tell you that much

There has been a lot of this lately and its something that really comes down to how the company acts and what they are requesting of said work. Being in a program where you are paid to watch a show sounds easy enough and $10 per is not bad considering what your doing, but imposing limitations, time constraints, and some of the lengths of these shows then having to pick out a proper scene and video clip that represents the show/movie does take time regardless of what it is being done. Combining all that together is the problem in this case and its a matter of whether or not this violates the laws of labor or not.

The problem with companies is that in an effort to cut costs and get more work out of people they are trying to find ways to get around certain laws or finding ways to ride the border on the laws. Contracts don't get to ignore the laws regardless of what your doing as a job (Full time or part time). So it comes down to are they ignoring laws by the way they are doing this?

It doesn't sound that great. Having to watch movies you don't like, watch movies when you don't really feel like watching them, feeling forced to do it as your job, no thanks. There's nothing fun about that.

There has been a lot of this lately and its something that really comes down to how the company acts and what they are requesting of said work. Being in a program where you are paid to watch a show sounds easy enough and $10 per is not bad considering what your doing, but imposing limitations, time constraints, and some of the lengths of these shows then having to pick out a proper scene and video clip that represents the show/movie does take time regardless of what it is being done. Combining all that together is the problem in this case and its a matter of whether or not this violates the laws of labor or not.

The problem with companies is that in an effort to cut costs and get more work out of people they are trying to find ways to get around certain laws or finding ways to ride the border on the laws. Contracts don't get to ignore the laws regardless of what your doing as a job (Full time or part time). So it comes down to are they ignoring laws by the way they are doing this?

Agreed. Netflix can't expect these people to work a free-time job with full-time job restrictions. Usually contractors have a good idea of the work they are doing before hand. Netflix expects these people to do anywhere from 22 minutes to 3 hours for their 10 dollars and they don't get to pick what they do either. At least a regular contractor would wield some level of discretion.

I make 16.50 an hour, with good benefits, and 401K is matched, and have been working for the same company for 14 years. So I get offended when I hear of people flipping burgers, and think its worth 15.00 /hr. Its not! That is a high school kid job, to teach them responsibility, and respect for the boss. To teach them when to speak up, and when not to. To teach them to be humble when a customer is pissed. If your 30 years old and still flipping burgers you still deserve what little it pays.

While I am somewhat inclined to agree with you, I can't - just because all they are really asking for is a cost of living adjustment. A lot of the people working for $8-9/hr, are working two of those jobs at >30 hrs/week each. Asking for $15 isn't so they can 'make more', it is so they can work one job and still make rent on their cheap apartment in their cheap neighborhood. If they were already making ends meet, and getting 30+ hours a week (with the benefits fulltime work brings), and still clamoring for $15/hr, I would be right there beside you.

Unfortunately, automation is about to take their job. It was already going to even before the clamoring for wage adjustments - but still. Robots are going take over the 'no skill' jobs in the next 5-10 years. Another 20 years after that, and they'll be taking over the blue collar jobs. Eventually, they (more specifically, software), will take over the 'high skill' and white collar jobs. The very concept of how an economy functions is changing, and to a degree that hasn't been seen since industrialization and the end of feudalism.

While I am somewhat inclined to agree with you, I can't - just because all they are really asking for is a cost of living adjustment. A lot of the people working for $8-9/hr, are working two of those jobs at >30 hrs/week each. Asking for $15 isn't so they can 'make more', it is so they can work one job and still make rent on their cheap apartment in their cheap neighborhood. If they were already making ends meet, and getting 30+ hours a week (with the benefits fulltime work brings), and still clamoring for $15/hr, I would be right there beside you.

Unfortunately, automation is about to take their job. It was already going to even before the clamoring for wage adjustments - but still. Robots are going take over the 'no skill' jobs in the next 5-10 years. Another 20 years after that, and they'll be taking over the blue collar jobs. Eventually, they (more specifically, software), will take over the 'high skill' and white collar jobs. The very concept of how an economy functions is changing, and to a degree that hasn't been seen since industrialization and the end of feudalism.

I agree to a point, but an ideal world, and the real world are two different things. If there is a federal raise of minimum wage to $15 an hour ( And I know this isn't what the original topic is about, but it is where it is headed ), then upsizing your combo meal is going to cost $8, and everything else will get outrageously expensive. Poverty is hard, I know, my dad is self employed, and had 4 kids, and a wife to support. We hardly ever saw him, but he always managed to keep food on the table, and keep us clothed. Yea, it would of been nice having cars that weren't always needing worked on, and to be able to go to the movies, or theme parks, vacations, a nice house, but we did have love, we had eachother, and we knew what was important. Now, because of my childhood I know how great I got it even though some of my co-workers are always talking about how horrible the pay is. Thinking back at it now, poverty was hard, but I am glad I was there. I don't need a huge brick house, I grew up in one that was moldy, leaked, stunk, now I live in a double wide that doesn't leak, have mold, or stink. I don't need a AUDI, or BMW. Growing up, we had odd stuff that always was needing worked on. Now I have a Chevy that I can trust to go cross-country. Being really poor makes you really appreciate it when you get a little something, and teaches you how little you really need to survive. Poverty may be hard, but its not necessarily always bad, and it may actually be good for some people to go through * but not stay in * for a little while in their lives.

I am sure there are things in the contract that should be changed though. It should be a sort of " subsidizing " job, that anyone with a little free time, wanting to make some quick change can do, whenever they want."

They don't have to watch the show.... Stream it, do what you want while its playing, then pick some random scene to best describe the show. I see it all the time when I'm picking something to watch the picture relates very little to the show when I actually watch it. Like others have said, " Get a real job! " It offends me, I work hard all day long 13+ hours as a mechanic, and welder. I make 16.50 an hour, with good benefits, and 401K is matched, and have been working for the same company for 14 years. So I get offended when I hear of people flipping burgers, and think its worth 15.00 /hr. Its not! That is a high school kid job, to teach them responsibility, and respect for the boss. To teach them when to speak up, and when not to. To teach them to be humble when a customer is pissed. If your 30 years old and still flipping burgers you still deserve what little it pays.

Now, back to Netflix. The only thing I can see as an issue here is the "schedule". This "job" should strictly be a "at your
convenience, and would be excellent for stay at home moms, a babysitter, the elderly, and others. So, if you watch 1 show a week, you get $10 a week. If you watch 100 shows a week, you get $1000 a week, but it should be up to the individual how much they want to watch, and that is what they should be suing about, not the pay. Its not that important a job... In fact the flipping a burger is more important.

You do realize that the 401K (matched), the medical, vision, dental benefits you receive, all of those things actually equate to you making a helluva lot more than your hourly makes it sound. So-called "burger flippers" don't get all that extra stuff working for McDonald's. They are lucky that they must receive workman's comp for a work-place related injury. It shouldn't offend you others want more for their efforts. What offends me, is that you don't even see that you are actually receiving a lot more than what is first apparent in your claim of making $16.50. Plus there are 5+ hours at overtime per day if your 13+ hours per day is to be believed (I took that as being an everyday, day in, day out occurrence). What should offend you is mid-large companies getting away with ripping you off right under your nose when the cost of living has sky-rocketed, the dollar is devalued and more and more people are slipping into poverty when they used to be making enough to be comfortable.

As for 'burger flipping' (it's a helluva lot more than that, I know from experience) being a 'kid's job', sure, it tends to cater to the young, just into the working field, great way to get some experience working with and under others, etc. But I've been to countless stores which employ every age range. It's not just a kid's job, it's a job, period. Don't devalue their job just because of your misconceptions. Are you devaluing the "kids" (younger adults) that work these jobs just because it's a service industry? What about the older folks that have the job because our economy is in the crapper and they can't find what they have skills for? Isn't what you do a service? Is it menial just because it's a service industry? Don't they provide you a good service? Do they fill a need? Yes? Then it's not menial. But it is service. It's not particularly skilled, but unskilled labor (digging ditches and the like) pays at least $15 an hour now. The wage people are paid needs to rise with the cost of living. It's not like McDonald's and others can't afford it, or they wouldn't be spamming multi-million dollar ad-spots on the freaking TV all day long. Think... Value yourself. Value others. No job should be one whereby a person cannot live on their own, pay their own rent, their own utilities, have their own home (be it that it might be an apartment or mobile, whatever) and perhaps, maybe have a little extra to sock away. No job should be that bad paying. And yet, gas station attendants, burger flippers, store clerks, and many other jobs are just not getting paid what they need to do so, so they either have to live with one or more other roommates to make ends meet, or they have to get multiple jobs and work your hours or more, per day, without even getting the lovely benefits you're blessed with.

As for the rest, it seems you're not doing the math all the way through. 1 = 10, 100 = 1000, yes, but 100 = at least 150 hours, if you account for a show being between 25 and 3 hours in length and the variations of show lengths you'll be watching in any given time-frame, and then, you have to be mindful of the whole show as part of your "job description" is pick the best still and/or video that best describes this show. I'm sorry, but if part of your job is to pick the best descriptive image and/or video, that requires brain work. Brain work is worth $. Add that to the raw hours 'sitting on your azz' as some people have put it, and you have a work load worth at least $25 per show. Especially with time-constraints and everything else that Net-Flix is throwing at these people. Plain and simple the work-load is worth more than $6 an hour on average. That's less than minimum wage, and contractor or not, minimum is minimum. Even if not getting paid an hourly, you should at least exceed the legal minimum wage as a contractor. And if the company is filing these people's W2s... They are employees, not contractors.

They are trading their time for money and you can't get time back, while money spends quickly. And the math simply doesn't support the time required for the pay received. Sure, these people should have thought this through and demanded more before signing on to such a contract, but that also depends on whether these people even spoke to a hiring manager at Net-Flix or simply signed up online and had no option. And if online, that's also known if I recall correctly, a 'contract of adhesion' which means that once money is involved and time is spent on something, they become invested and nobody in their right mind would sign it if they realized it would be whatever Net-Flix turned it into. Contracts of Adhesion by the way are illegal.

You do realize that the 401K (matched), the medical, vision, dental benefits you receive, all of those things actually equate to you making a helluva lot more than your hourly makes it sound. So-called "burger flippers" don't get all that extra stuff working for McDonald's. They are lucky that they must receive workman's comp for a work-place related injury. It shouldn't offend you others want more for their efforts. What offends me, is that you don't even see that you are actually receiving a lot more than what is first apparent in your claim of making $16.50. Plus there are 5+ hours at overtime per day if your 13+ hours per day is to be believed (I took that as being an everyday, day in, day out occurrence). What should offend you is mid-large companies getting away with ripping you off right under your nose when the cost of living has sky-rocketed, the dollar is devalued and more and more people are slipping into poverty when they used to be making enough to be comfortable.

First, in my post I agree, it sounds like I'm not acknowledging that all the benefits my employer provides don't count as income. I do acknowledge that. I make very good money, and am allowed all the overtime I ever want ( because I don't whine, and I get the work done ), I am one of very few who are allowed such privileges.
However, I want to know what gives you the right to say that I should not be offended at something, then you turn right around and tell me you are offended at me? Why should you be allowed an opinion, and not me? Hypocrite. You say the dollar is devalued, I agree, because too many people in this country make more than they are worth! Employers are forced to raise the cost of their services / merchandise because the people working * sitting on the clock * for them will sue if they don't make X amount of money.

Tora1337 said:
As for 'burger flipping' (it's a helluva lot more than that, I know from experience) being a 'kid's job', sure, it tends to cater to the young, just into the working field, great way to get some experience working with and under others, etc. But I've been to countless stores which employ every age range. It's not just a kid's job, it's a job, period. Don't devalue their job just because of your misconceptions. Are you devaluing the "kids" (younger adults) that work these jobs just because it's a service industry? What about the older folks that have the job because our economy is in the crapper and they can't find what they have skills for? Isn't what you do a service? Is it menial just because it's a service industry? Don't they provide you a good service? Do they fill a need? Yes? Then it's not menial. But it is service. It's not particularly skilled, but unskilled labor (digging ditches and the like) pays at least $15 an hour now. The wage people are paid needs to rise with the cost of living. It's not like McDonald's and others can't afford it, or they wouldn't be spamming multi-million dollar ad-spots on the freaking TV all day long. Think... Value yourself. Value others. No job should be one whereby a person cannot live on their own, pay their own rent, their own utilities, have their own home (be it that it might be an apartment or mobile, whatever) and perhaps, maybe have a little extra to sock away. No job should be that bad paying. And yet, gas station attendants, burger flippers, store clerks, and many other jobs are just not getting paid what they need to do so, so they either have to live with one or more other roommates to make ends meet, or they have to get multiple jobs and work your hours or more, per day, without even getting the lovely benefits you're blessed with.

I'm not devaluing kids period. I think everyone should have a high school job, its a good experience in how to deal with the workplace environment, and it teaches responsibility. I agree, they do provide a service, one that has made this the fattest nation on Earth. I don't say that to demean the people doing the job, but the job itself. If someone has a job at McDonalds, and is living with mom and dad, but is going to college to become an engineer, great! That job has done its purpose at that point. If however, someone has a job at McDonalds, is living at mom and dads, gets married, stays at mom and dads, turns 30, has kids, still at mom and dads, and working at McDonalds and starts crying " I don't make enough ! " well.... I don't feel any pity for that person.

As far as the elderly that lost a lot in their retirements when the economy crashed, I admire them, and feel for them. It is a sad thing that happened to many of people. Here is the difference, they went out, found a job. They are working at 65yrs old, and bringing in an income. They get by with what is left from their 401K, social security, and income combined. It may not be perfect, but they are making it work. They are not crying " I used to make $25 an hour as an engineer, I want Wallmart to pay me the same amount to greet people at the door!". They know its not as valuable a job as what they once had, but they are humble about it, and that deserves respect. If the economy flops like that again with my generation things are going to be alot worst because my generation expects to be fed with a silver spoon!

I have to disagree that every job should be able to provide all your needs. Most don't, that's why most families in this nation have at least two incomes, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have been blessed with a bargain hunter wife, and a job in which we only need one income. We aren't the only nation that way, and the reality is, in many parts of the world whole tribes, villages, towns have to work together just to survive. There is nothing wrong, or demeaning about having several incomes under one roof, or having to have several incomes to be able to pay the bills.

Tora1337 said:
As for the rest, it seems you're not doing the math all the way through. 1 = 10, 100 = 1000, yes, but 100 = at least 150 hours, if you account for a show being between 25 and 3 hours in length and the variations of show lengths you'll be watching in any given time-frame, and then, you have to be mindful of the whole show as part of your "job description" is pick the best still and/or video that best describes this show. I'm sorry, but if part of your job is to pick the best descriptive image and/or video, that requires brain work. Brain work is worth $. Add that to the raw hours 'sitting on your azz' as some people have put it, and you have a work load worth at least $25 per show. Especially with time-constraints and everything else that Net-Flix is throwing at these people. Plain and simple the work-load is worth more than $6 an hour on average. That's less than minimum wage, and contractor or not, minimum is minimum. Even if not getting paid an hourly, you should at least exceed the legal minimum wage as a contractor. And if the company is filing these people's W2s... They are employees, not contractors.

They are trading their time for money and you can't get time back, while money spends quickly. And the math simply doesn't support the time required for the pay received. Sure, these people should have thought this through and demanded more before signing on to such a contract, but that also depends on whether these people even spoke to a hiring manager at Net-Flix or simply signed up online and had no option. And if online, that's also known if I recall correctly, a 'contract of adhesion' which means that once money is involved and time is spent on something, they become invested and nobody in their right mind would sign it if they realized it would be whatever Net-Flix turned it into. Contracts of Adhesion by the way are illegal.

I just don't see this as a public service worth that much. Just my personal opinion, and I see your point as far as the legal aspect of it goes. If they are breaking the law, they are breaking the law. However, if I were Netflix I would add a " shows need reviewed " tab, and anyone who watches, and gives a brief description of 10 shows a month, with a picture relating well to the show/episode will get the following months service free. That is about what this service is worth, not $25/hr. That would make the Netflix service cost way too much.

You talked earlier about the elderly who were screwed over by the economy. This is the perfect job for them. Not for someone trying to support a family. Some jobs just aren't worth that much, but there is someone out there that these jobs are perfect for, those are the people that need to take these jobs

$10 a show or movie. Great for a 20 minute show but not so great for a 2 hour movie. Comments and frames, though, could take a bit of time depending on what they are looking for. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Folks suing probably wanted a nice side activity for a few extra bucks and/or free membership but, when they found out it entailed actual work, they realized that if Uber peeps can sue, why not us...

First, in my post I agree, it sounds like I'm not acknowledging that all the benefits my employer provides don't count as income. I do acknowledge that. I make very good money, and am allowed all the overtime I ever want ( because I don't whine, and I get the work done ), I am one of very few who are allowed such privileges.
However, I want to know what gives you the right to say that I should not be offended at something, then you turn right around and tell me you are offended at me? Why should you be allowed an opinion, and not me? Hypocrite. You say the dollar is devalued, I agree, because too many people in this country make more than they are worth! Employers are forced to raise the cost of their services / merchandise because the people working * sitting on the clock * for them will sue if they don't make X amount of money.

I apologize if that rubbed you wrong. As for my right to say it, I have a right to say it, because I have a right to free speech. Just as you do. I wasn't saying you weren't entitled to your opinion. I'd defend your right to express your opinion to my dying breath, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to redirect you when you're in fact misdirected. There's nothing hypocritical about me telling you that it offends me when you (or anyone else) fails to comprehend the value that they receive for their efforts. My perception of your lack of understanding of the value was apparent when you make a statement that indicates $16.50 is the end all be all of your pay, then follow it up with benefits that don't exist in the jobs about which we are speaking, and your job situation isn't even close to comparable to that of the minimum wage range of employees. It's much more skilled, and in my mind is worth more than what you're getting paid for it, including all those benefits. That you do understand that there is much more value in all the benefits you get is good, but in a way makes it worse, because you know you're worth if you were paying for those benefits yourself around $60 an hour. Now imagine not getting those benefits and see a take-home of 25 to 30 an hour (presuming you pay for those benefits yoursefl) and say they shouldn't get 15. Saying you shouldn't be offended by something and illustrating where you should direct your offense isn't comparable to what I was offended about, as what I was offended about is not misdirected. Nobody should ever be offended by people attempting to improve their lot in life, and be paid what they are worth in relation to the cost of living, ever. There are other things to be offended by, such as what I illustrated above that should absolutely offend you.

The dollar is not devalued because of people making more than their worth, that entire statement is a shining example of ignorance of economics or the reality of the situation in this country in regards to why the dollar is devalued. It's devalued due to the constant printing by the Federal Reserve. It's devalued because of constant spending, borrowing and bailouts by the government and the 'experimentation' being done by so-called "Federal" Reserve in regards to interest rates and inflation. It's devalued because of continued rampant abuses to the system, that do not include anyone getting paid more than they're worth. An individual's pay doesn't have anything to do with the value of the dollar. The government does, the central bank quite specifically does (Federal Reserve - which by the way is a private organization and is not a federal anything). Regulations on companies that prevent them from creating jobs in the US or forcing companies to turn to foreign outsourcing has a lot to do with it also. There are even more examples of scenarios that have something to do with the devaluation of the American Dollar, but I can't think of them at the moment. But none of them come down to people being paid more than they're worth.

I'm not devaluing kids period. I think everyone should have a high school job, its a good experience in how to deal with the workplace environment, and it teaches responsibility. I agree, they do provide a service, one that has made this the fattest nation on Earth. I don't say that to demean the people doing the job, but the job itself. If someone has a job at McDonalds, and is living with mom and dad, but is going to college to become an engineer, great! That job has done its purpose at that point. If however, someone has a job at McDonalds, is living at mom and dads, gets married, stays at mom and dads, turns 30, has kids, still at mom and dads, and working at McDonalds and starts crying " I don't make enough ! " well.... I don't feel any pity for that person.

I would have to agree with it as you lay it out, but I can't agree entirely, because that's not the only situation that is being seen with people working in jobs such as Fast-Food. It's not just being had by high-school kids looking for first time job experience. It's not being had by the lazy that haven't gone out to get an education. That's a weird spin being put on it, by people threatened over nothing in general. It's being had by people forced out of life-long jobs early. It's being had by people whose industry has all but collapsed. It's being had by people that can't find the local work or afford to move to the area in which their industry exists. Walmart isn't any better either in that regard, and they employ a lion's share of ages between 22 and 75.

As far as the elderly that lost a lot in their retirements when the economy crashed, I admire them, and feel for them. It is a sad thing that happened to many of people. Here is the difference, they went out, found a job. They are working at 65yrs old, and bringing in an income. They get by with what is left from their 401K, social security, and income combined. It may not be perfect, but they are making it work. They are not crying " I used to make $25 an hour as an engineer, I want Wallmart to pay me the same amount to greet people at the door!". They know its not as valuable a job as what they once had, but they are humble about it, and that deserves respect. If the economy flops like that again with my generation things are going to be alot worst because my generation expects to be fed with a silver spoon!

They went out and found a job, and they do deserve respect, but they also deserve a "living wage" from one job. And they shouldn't even have to go get one, unfortunately for reasons above, they can't even enjoy their retirement years properly. Having to have multiple part time jobs, and then not getting paid enough from any of them combined to actually create a living wage where they're not at work 24/7 is not a solution. Barely scraping by with your retirement and some part time work or even full time work isn't a situation that anyone should have to endure. They should be able to maintain at least half of their quality of life that they previously knew, just with SSI and 401K/Retirement package. Because they should be able to meet all their needs and have some in case of emergency repairs on their home, their car, medical emergencies, etc.

And then there are a vast number of people that still can't find employment. Which is where this sort of thing offered by Net-Flix helps to alleviate, actually. The unemployment rate is a farce, because those people that the numbers list are only the ones still on unemployment insurance, it doesn't reflect the actual employment enjoyed in this country. Most of the people in this country not on unemployment just have not been able to find work at all. A lot of people started their own little businesses and are getting by, but not everyone has the drive or the skills to do that sort of thing. But the fact is, there are whole industries that have collapsed, and people can't find work, or are doing basic service jobs like Walmart, Gas Stations, and Fast-Food. There are people that can't afford to move to areas where their industry is doing better in order to get that job that pays better and are stuck with what is available in their communities.

I doubt (you sound like you're Gen X or maybe Y), that anyone of our generations (I'm Gen-X) feels like they need a hand-out. In fact, I despise it. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but have not been fortunate enough to ever work for one company for 14 years. 2 at a maximum. Longest in an industry was 6. But that's besides the point. I think most people want independence. To be paid what they deserve to be paid. So long as you do your job effectively, you should be making enough to take care of at least your basics. If you're really good at your job, that makes you worth more. If you're **** at your job, you're not going to have it too long for sure. But a minimum is aimed at ensuring that people have a means to increase their value, it won't devalue anything.

I have to disagree that every job should be able to provide all your needs. Most don't, that's why most families in this nation have at least two incomes, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have been blessed with a bargain hunter wife, and a job in which we only need one income. We aren't the only nation that way, and the reality is, in many parts of the world whole tribes, villages, towns have to work together just to survive. There is nothing wrong, or demeaning about having several incomes under one roof, or having to have several incomes to be able to pay the bills.

You have got to be kidding when you state that first sentence. I'm not trying to offend you but that statement just doesn't make sense. I would rather think that you didn't think it through enough. It used to be that the man of the house could go and work his job, put in his 40, support a household of 4, own possibly even more than one car and still have time to live life. And that is how it should be, but it isn't even close to that anymore. Largely because businesses don't change until laws make them change. There is, in my mind, absolutely something wrong with people having to have more than one job to make ends meet. Especially if you can't make ends meet with one full time job. If you're working 2 or more part times and can't make ends meet, there's an issue there too. If you live in a multi-adult household, and your finances are combined, there's nothing wrong with more than one job. Roommate situations are another place where multi-adult job holding is a good idea, but those people are also stuck because of their below "living wage" minimums. They can't get out on their own so long as they can't fully support rent/food/utilities/clothing on their own. Then there's the other asides, medical, fuel, insurance, car payments, vehicle maintenance, etc. As long as businesses can get away with paying you **** wages, they will continue to pay you **** wages. This actually does include Walmart or any other business that pays the existent minimum wage, and doesn't offer many or any benefits to pad that to make it work. And take-home pay is more the end all be all. If you can't take home after taxes enough to pay the rent, pay the utilities, and buy your food, for you and your family with one job, you're simply not being paid according to the cost of living. You are not making a "living wage". Especially as many families are single parent, and some single parents are working over 40 a week, and barely scraping by. What sort of life is that, when you can't afford to do something nice for yourself or your children at least once a month or pay for other services (such as Net-Flix or something similar) or products that help you or your family in some way, or to have the ability to stock away a bit in case of an emergency (such as job loss - because we all know no matter how long you've been somewhere, your job could evaporate in a heartbeat)? We need to have an economy which is strong enough that everyone can live their lives without outside assistance or trading all their time for money just to exist.

Here's some facts for you about the minimum wage, so you can gain a better understanding. If you would like to take the time to read it. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/23/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

I just don't see this as a public service worth that much. Just my personal opinion, and I see your point as far as the legal aspect of it goes. If they are breaking the law, they are breaking the law. However, if I were Netflix I would add a " shows need reviewed " tab, and anyone who watches, and gives a brief description of 10 shows a month, with a picture relating well to the show/episode will get the following months service free. That is about what this service is worth, not $25/hr. That would make the Netflix service cost way too much.

You talked earlier about the elderly who were screwed over by the economy. This is the perfect job for them. Not for someone trying to support a family. Some jobs just aren't worth that much, but there is someone out there that these jobs are perfect for, those are the people that need to take these jobs

I agree with you about it not being that important, I mean, it's not essential to life in general, just makes their service look better, but for a company like Net-Flix, image is everything, it's their brand, they should be willing to pay for it. I also agree this isn't one of those jobs that should support a family. Supplement yes, sure, but not support. I'm just saying, when trading time for money, it's important to understand you're trading an irreplaceable resource for a renewable one. Time = Money is the saying, but Time is in fact more valuable. If you average it out, what people get for spending all that time, especially viewing shows they probably will regret watching, lol, would be to give them a bit more incentive, and to drop all the time frame requirements.

As you read, one person was actually spending full-time time investment and not even getting paid equivalent to an under the minimum wage job, and when they started doing it like a full time job, they were fired. You don't 'fire' contractors, you just stop hiring them.

I agree with you also that it's great for the elderly. I also agree it's not worth $25 an hour. I didn't say that did I? If I did I meant $25 per show, because even with some of them only being 25 minutes, there are some that are 3+ hours long. Not all of them, they generally average probably around 1.75 to 2 hours long. Sometimes a bit longer. But if you watched nothing but 3 hour shows, that puts your hourly at approximately $7 an hour. Which is right at minimum wage. And Net-Flix pays more for 30 second commercials and Cost Per View adverts than they could come close to paying these people even at that rate. They have over 75 million subscribers. At between $8 and $12 a month... That's 600 million to 900,000,000 per month they are raking in. It's not like they don't have the means to pay people in a way that is actually worth their effort. That's my argument on the money side of things. I respect that your opinion is that it's not worth that much however, it's just worth more than $10 per show when there is some relatively major effort required to do what they want done. It's not necessarily easy to find that perfect image or video (a cut of the movie) that describes it the best.

Hopefully we understand one another better now. Everyone working any full-time job or multiple part time employment should be able to receive a wage which accounts for rising costs, and allows for some wiggle room so one isn't living hand-mouth. Everyone deserves that. At a minimum for basics. There are other ways to get help with medical, dental and such, but the idea of Americans being forced to rely on that sickens me. This country was built on independence and hard work.

If it was my job, I'd like to think I'd do it more efficiently. Watch the first 5 minutes only and pick a representative scene. Any longer than that and you risk picking a scene that gives away the story. Then spend a few more minutes selecting the frame, wrap it up and move on to the next show. That becomes $10 for less than 10 minutes work which starts to become a lot more profitable. I would hope there is nothing in the contract that states you have to watch the full show before selecting the frame.

Back