Netflix starts shipping Wii instant-streaming discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Netflix today started mailing instant-streaming discs for the Nintendo Wii, which will let people access the video service through their consoles. Many Wii owners who requested the disc will receive it as early as tomorrow, and Netflix is counting on feedback from those users to improve the service prior to its official opening.

First announced two months ago, the instant-streaming disc provides Nintendo's console with access to Netflix's Watch Instantly library, which consists of content like movies and TV shows. For $8.99 a month, users are granted unlimited streaming rights to media in the catalog.

Unfortunately, the Wii's hardware limits it to standard-definition videos, whereas the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are capable of high-def playback. Netflix hasn't disclosed an official launch date for the service, but it's expected "soon." For the time being, if you're interested, you can sign up to be notified when the service goes live.

Permalink to story.

i'm a netflix subscriber.. i have a ROKU and a Samsung Blu-Ray that both stream NF and other content... i have 3 kids and we have a WII in the house... as far as I'm concerned, the more devices i have that will stream NF content, the better.

Puiu said:
It's meant to fails. People will never buy something like this and to top it all it's not even HD capable.

The services are targeting people that already have Wiis and don't use Netflix streaming capabilities simply because they don't want to watch movies on their computer and their media devices don't have Internet capabilities.

By the way, the article is somewhat misleading, at least I think so. $8.99 is a standard monthly subscription fee which included mailed DVDs and unlimited streaming. It's not an additional fee for the Wii users.

So I disagree with you. The only reason I switched from Blockbuster to Netflix is unlimited streaming. I, actually, like Blockbuster's selection, service and web-site more that Netflix's. The ability to watch something on a whim was more important, though. Not that I'm watching it using Wii.

I am actually surprised that Netflix hasn't realized that once you get the disc from them it will play in anyone's Play station etc. i have an account with Netflix and use a Roku to stream movies from them. I asked them for the disc and gave it to my son who lives in another state and it works for him also through my account. He tells me what he may want to watch and I queue it up and he is able to watch it.

I requested one, but may not use it much, will have to see how the quality is. I've already got a Mac Mini connected to my TV and watch Netflix through Plex.

I don't know what "this" is Puiu, you don't buy the disk, its free if you are a Netflix subscriber, and certainly people won't buy a Wii just to do Netflix streaming. nazartp is right though, this is meant for people that want to take advantage of Netflix's streaming library without either watching on a computer screen, or going through the hassle of connecting their computer to a TV. My sister has a laptop and 2 wires ran out the back of her entertainment center, one is DVI the other is audio, but she has to move the laptop up there, connect those and probably power - definitely easier to just put the disk in her Wii.

In reality, the streaming thing should work just fine on the Wii. I've been streaming Netflix on the PC that I built as a media center for quite some time, and while the picture quality is fine it doesn't really appear to be true HD anyhow. The streaming service automatically throttles quality based on your connection speed, so adjusting to be max resolution for the Wii should be no problem.

If I didn't already have the HTPC all set up, I'd consider this as an option - the Wii is the only console my wife likes enough to actually have it set up in the media room! heh

It seems that i've been a tad too subjective when in my last post,sorry about that, but i do hope it's at least capable of 720p. If not then my laptop is still going to be my main when it comes to streaming movies.
@SNGX1275: i have 5m cables that work perfectly for me and my laptop. i can use it without even getting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back