Netflix's US subscriber growth comes up short in Q3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix’s third quarter earnings report, which hit the wire just after trading ceased on Wednesday, sent the company’s stock into an after-hours tailspin despite solid numbers across the board.

For the period ending September 30, the streaming video service reported $1.74 billion in revenue with a net income of 29.4 million, or $0.07 per share. That’s a hair under the $1.75 billion and $0.08 per share analysts were expecting but it’s the subscriber numbers that concerned investors the most.

Netflix added 3.62 million new subscribers over the past three months, bringing its total subscriber count to 69.17 million. Internationally, Netflix picked up 2.74 million newcomers but just 880,000 domestic subscribers – far less than its own forecast of 1.15 million subscribers.

In a quarterly letter to shareholders, CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells said the company experienced a slightly higher than expected involuntary churn rate which it attributed to the ongoing transition to chip-based credit and debit cards in the US. Or in other words, some subscribers experienced difficulties renewing their membership with new cards. As The Wall Street Journal points out, this seems odd considering new cards usually have the same account numbers as the plastic they’re replacing.

Netflix’s share value dropped by more than 14 percent in after-hours trading although it quickly rebounded and has settled to within $4 of its closing value.

Looking ahead, it’ll be interesting to see how the recent loss of Epix and the $1 per month price hike will affect next quarter’s performance.

Permalink to story.

Lost of Epix I'm sure hurts some, but I'm willing to bet its the price increase that will really hurt performance numbers. Homie don't play price increases, lol
(coming from guy who doesn't pay for netflix)

Lost of Epix I'm sure hurts some, but I'm willing to bet its the price increase that will really hurt performance numbers. Homie don't play price increases, lol
To properly adjust for inflation the price increase should have been around $3

With an increase of $3, the shareholders wouldn't have time to be surprised at the earning results - because they wouldn't be shareholders anymore.

I personally don't understand the concept of paying $9.99/mo to watch movies that I have already watched, or TV shows, that I can just hoist sails for five minutes and have the entire season. For free.

That + Plex = my very own Netflix.

With an increase of $3, the shareholders wouldn't have time to be surprised at the earning results - because they wouldn't be shareholders anymore.

I personally don't understand the concept of paying $9.99/mo to watch movies that I have already watched, or TV shows, that I can just hoist sails for five minutes and have the entire season. For free.

While all of that is certainly your prerogative, I have been dealing with this with my wife. She was always using 'the sails' and I explained to her that if she wanted her favorite shows to *not* get cancelled then she had to actually support them.

I don't watch enough movies to care about that medium, but great shows are getting cancelled ALL the time. She complained, so I yelled at her and showed her how to use Hulu, and showed her that past seasons of stuff could be found on netflix. We eve started using the USA app (commercials are horrible on it) for Suits and Royal Pains, etc...

Hell, if you don't watch a show on your DVR within 3 days they don't get credit for it ratings wise. It's a slippery slope, and I'm tired of shows I enjoy getting the boot.

Hell, if you don't watch a show on your DVR within 3 days they don't get credit for it ratings wise. It's a slippery slope, and I'm tired of shows I enjoy getting the boot.
There used to be a big discussion on this over on the now defunct SyFy forums. I will simply say that if you have a Nielsen box in your home that is attached to your DVR, then watching within three days does count towards ratings. If there is no Nielsen box in your home attached to your DVR, then your viewing habits are not being monitored by Nielsen and do not count towards ratings.

Sorry!

There used to be a big discussion on this over on the now defunct SyFy forums. I will simply say that if you have a Nielsen box in your home that is attached to your DVR, then watching within three days does count towards ratings. If there is no Nielsen box in your home attached to your DVR, then your viewing habits are not being monitored by Nielsen and do not count towards ratings.

Sorry!
You should be sorry! I'm neck deep in 6 chrome tabs about ratings and nielsen! This is one hell of a can of worms. lol

But no, I appreciate the clarification. I was not aware of most of how that worked. But I'm going to dig in till I get the answers I want.

Thanks!

Sorry!
This thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7h7v/i_am_a_manager_at_nielsen_and_know_everything/
has the most comprehensive info I've ever seen. If it can be intirely trusted

Uhh, yeah... to properly adjust for inflation, people will be moving to another service.

Sounds more like you personally don't understand what the word "copyright" means. When you get movies and entire seasons of shows for FREE, you're actually stealing. Sounds crazy, I know.

Back