Network adapter optimized for file transfer speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

I have an Intel 865 and and Intel 955 based computers (the motherboards are themselves Intel) that are set up on a gigabit ethernet network. They are using the motherboard-based gigabit ethernet adapters. Are there any settings that I can make to the network adapters to optimize them for speed ? I need to transfer large .ts files between them. I was thinking things like enabling jumbo frames, etc.

Right now I am showing transfer rates of around 18-24 MB per second per my Vice Versa file transfer utility.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jumbo Frames is pretty much the only thing you can set in the NIC configuration. Mind you, you need to enable it on all adapters connected to the network.

I assume you are copying files over Windows shares? You can apply some Windows tweaks to make SMB go faster, but it is just _slow_. You may have better luck using dedicated transfer protocols with no filesystem overhead like FTP. (Or iSCSI of course *g*)

Also, are you sure it is not your hard drives that are the bottleneck? 20MB/s could easily be the limit for a badly fragmented drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back