Network cable unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0nfir3

My laptop is a NEC LaVie PC-LG26NRCGM and for some reason no matter if i plug in a network cable or not it keeps saying its unplugged...
any ideas?

I also tried reinstalling drivers and changing drivers to everything i could find but no luck. The chipset i have is SiS 963L and the network card is SiS 900 i think its a part of it or something, not sure.

does just say its unplugged or is it actually not connected to the network even if the cable is plugged in?

Both I'd say.

Try Start-->Run-->ncpa.cpl

Right click on your Network connection and select Enable (Note: may not be in list if it's already enabled)

Confirm your Network cable is secure, or replace it with a known good one

Does the Network icon actually show up in Network Connections?
If not, try:
Start-->Run-->devmgmt.msc
And confirm that you do not have any unknown or querried devices (yellow mark)
ie confirm you do have the correct drivers installed

Still not in Device Manager or Network Connections?
If not, try:
Restart your computer
Press the key (DEL or F2 or some other key?) to get into system bios (cmos or setup)
Locate your Network device, and confirm it's enabled

Failing all this

Please supply your computer make and model, Windows version
And if the network icon is visible, and what you have tried so far

Your network cable may be broken or the port on your router in which the cable is plugged in may be broken. If the balloon is telling you that the card isn't connected then chances are the card is working and isn't talking with your router.

Switch the cable to a different router port to see if the network card can talk to your router. If that doesn't work unplug the power from your broadband modem and your router. Plug in the modem and give it plenty of time to reboot. Plug in the router and give it plenty of time to reboot. If that didn't work and your computer still can't talk to your router then you might consider replacing the network cable.

No you're right Cinders.
I was having a bad day yesterday (after checking other posts, it would seem)
The worst one was the CD not booting issue, and I forgot to mention the simple bootup order!
Now that was bad :(

hey guys thanks for the replies!

my laptop is:
NEC LaVie G
PC-LG26NRCGM

ncpa.cpl ... visible there and enabled

device manager... the only yellow device is "PCI Modem" and under network adapters my nic is listed as "SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter"

the network icon is visible in taskbar and has a red X ... network cable unplugged ... no matter what i do

yes i have tried switching cables and ports on teh router to no avail

however i have connected a usb wireless adapter and successfully connected to the router(and the net)

any ideas?

Onboard network sounds to be faulty
Can actually be the little connectors inside, or possibly even a dry joint.
I don't suppose it's under any hardware warranty?

Also if you have other network icons in there (ie Local Area Connection 1 and Local Area Connection 2 etc) then you could try removing them all, and even the device drivers again. Restart. Confirm that you have the correct drivers loaded.

I believe you've done all this already, so again sounds to be onboard network adaptor.

yeah thanks for trying to help...
do u know if there exist a pcmcia card with a combination of a network plug and wireless?

0nfir3, the LAN connector may be damaged. also, it can be faulty of yhr LAN chip. in this case you can buy PCMCIA LAN card, or replace the LAN chip(i suspect, that it's only connector damage, and you can check it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back