Network Cable Unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just got a new desktop comp HP 3150 (vista) with built in Intel(R) PRO/100ve Network connection. I've tried to set it up with my old comp (486 series XP(SP2)/originally ME) with Realtek 10/100 NIC card seated in PCI slot using crossover cable(s)

Both comps are showing the network icon (with red x) in the sys tray and bubble message "Network cable unplugged".

Having trawled many forums such as these i have come across many 'solutions' and used them all in varying combnations, including:

• Installed as per instructions
  • Re-installed
  • Reseated card
  • Tried alternative PCI slots & cables
  • Tried to update driver (file on setup sotware is 2004 but there's no on-line support/update function for the NIC, so just finds it on the setup disc or in temp files on PC - so downloaded latest direct from RealTek - still nothing.)
  • Changed settings from "autodetect/negotiation" to "100 fullplex & half, 10 full & half"
  • Troubleshot both cards ("working properly")
  • Installed LLTD protocol on XP comp (although i think this is irrelevant at this stage if either comp thinks there's no connection - same with network set up wizards, which i did anyway.)
But no luck so far.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping to avoid the "get a router etc and go wireless" answer (unless there's no alternative) and I'm given the impression that a hub set up isn't necessary with two comps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you absolutely sure that the cables you have tried are crossed and not striaghts?

create workgroup names example mynetwork
for each PC
if you still can't connect
go static ip

PC 1: 192.169.1.10

PC 2: 192.169.1.11

Thank you kindly for the suggested solution.

I never got to use it as, for no apparent reason whatsoever, it started working.

This will probably annoy people who search this forum for the same problem but the only thing I can think of that I did differently the last time was...

... I stopped trying to fix it.

(The only other thing I did do differently was to shout at it REALLY loudly, but I don't think that could've made much difference...?)

If I do discover the reason for the problem/solution I will post it up for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back