Network Interface Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorla

My internet was acting up for over a month. Howard had tried to help me with running Hijack This, and other programs and nothing seemed to work.

The problem was that IE and Firefox would not work at all, secure web sites would not work on AOL, but AOL worked fine other than that.
We never did discover the problem after MANY attempts.

I finally gave in and wiped my hard drive yesterday only to boot it back up and discover I have NO internet now. So I called my broadband company and a tech worked with me for an hour or more. He discovered that when I click on the LAN connection, that it says it's connected. BUT.. when I use IE it says page not found for everything. AOL now says no connection, and windows update says no connection.
He did some more digging and found that I have no IP address. He tried to force it to find one, he tried uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting the modem and several other tricks, to no avail.

His final advice was to take it in, and ask someone why my Network Interface card is not registering an IP.

Now.. we checked inside and it appears its integrated onto the motherboard.

Our question is (a very uneducated question).. can we purchase a new non integrated card and install it, bypassing the non working one?

Also.. could this be a sign of the hard drive or motherboard giving out? No other problems are evident since the reformat and reinstallation of Win XP.

Thank you!
Laura

AOL now says no connection

Well AOL never connects :haha:

To answer your question about the PCI Network card ( like Linkys or something right? ) You can get that and just disable the one onboard from the Device Manager

Hope I helped :)

TimeParadoX said:
Well AOL never connects :haha:

To answer your question about the PCI Network card ( like Linkys or something right? ) You can get that and just disable the one onboard from the Device Manager

Hope I helped :)

Ok.. I'm giving myself away as a complete ***** here.. but ...

In Device Manager.. the only thing I see is the Network Adapter, which then lists the Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection. (And MWL Filter Miniport)

Is the adapter listed the same as the network interface card? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

The one on the motherboard says "InNet/Stewart" on it... (if that means anything..)

Thanks again!!
Laura

If you want to disable the onboard lan then the best way would be to do it in the bios as windows will not then detect it!!!!

rik said:
If you want to disable the onboard lan then the best way would be to do it in the bios as windows will not then detect it!!!!

Sounds great.. but unfortunately way over my head..
Is there an easy way to do that?

If I'm nervous.. perhaps I should back out now. :eek: :)

Have a look in your mobo manual and that should tell you exactly how to do it!!:)

rik said:
Have a look in your mobo manual and that should tell you exactly how to do it!!:)

uh oh.. I don't think I've EVER had a manual for a motherboard.. for any computer I've had.

sigh....

Thanks,
Laura

disable from windows for now
add the new card and software try and connect
the bios may use same IRQ for onboard and another device may conflict
start ,accessories,system tools,system info ,Hardware Resources ,conflicts
it may be the modem you are using has gone bad ,have you tried a diff machine
AOL is not the greatest of providers
post a ipconfig /all
start/run type in CMD hit enter
type in black box ipconfig /all