Network with 2 routers, 1 server, multiple clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisao101

I have an existing network with Verizon FiOS that has the router built in to the modem. We have 3 computers hooked to that network....2 wired, 1 wireless.

I have a server machine that I am using to practice for my MS certification exams. I have Windows Server 2003 installed. It is an Active Directory domain controller,with DNS and DHCP.

I also have an old laptop with XP Pro.

Neither of these are on our existing network. My goal is to connect these 2 machines to another router (with wireless capabilities turned off) and then connect this router to the existing one to provide internet access to the new machines.

I want the server to operate as DNS and DHCP. I do not want the router(s) to do it.

So, the existing router (FiOS) has an IP of 192.168.1.1, and it gives IP's to the 3 machines connected to it. This is fine, but when I connect the server and XP machines to the new router, I want the server to give out IP addresses, not the router. I also want to be able to join the XP machine to the AD Domain on the server so I can start playing with RIS, and assigning permissions....and all the other stuff I need to learn for my exams.

Existing router: Actiontec MI424-WR
New router: Netgear WGR614 v10
All computers are XP Pro except for the server and one Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.

Does anyone know how to do this and make everything work correctly?

I hope I've given enough information :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help!

You can have domain running in the home with the equipment you have posted above. I did that here myself. You need Windows client OS that supports domain. Pro series does. Server 2003 has NAT feature and can be your router using additional network card. One Card would be labeled WAN and the other would be called LAN. This can be connected to a 5/8/16/24/48-port switch or even add AP to the mix. So it would be modem to Server to external switch. Having the Server with DNS, DHCP and Active Directory active plus the NAT works great. Take some time to get it all working though. For extra SPI hardware firewall I had use one of those belkin wireless turned off wi-fi, DHCP then connected the server LAN to Belkin then back to the switch. This is optional don't have to do this just saying that's how I did it.

Or

Use a wireless router connect only server to and use external switch from the router to your other network devices. This is another way to do with on domain. Doing this way you don't need to install another Nic card in the server box.

***UPDATE***

OK
I tried to install a 2nd NIC card on this server (Dell Poweredge 2600) and when I rebooted, I got a BSOD with this message:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

So I started looking around to try and figure out what that's all about. I found that many people say it's bad memory, some say it could be a bad HD, and even some say it's a bad motherboard. Well, I know this machine has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks, so I wanted to try a few things first.

I tried a different NIC, same problem. Pulled out RAM sticks and replaced them one by one (with NIC still installed) and got the same thing. So I decided to give it another try without the 2nd NIC. It booted fine, and has now been running for an hour or so. I checked the event viewer and all it shows is that the machine shut down unexpectedly. No sign of any other errors.

So, since I tried 2 different NICs in the same slot, I'm leaning toward the idea that it may be an issue with the PCI slot. Sad thing about it is, there is only the one slot. All the others are the old ISA slots, and I have nothing that fits in those.

For now, I will move on to your other suggestion and see what happens. I won't be back in the office till tomorrow, so I'll work on this in my spare time then and see what happens.

Thanks again. I'll keep you updated...

might suggest you map the network layout for clarity of the connections, eg:
Code:
isp--modem-router#1
                +---(nic#1)DC.server+dhcp+dns
                +
                +---xp.domain.client
                +
                +-- existing systems
OR
Code:
isp--modem-router#1---(nic#1)DC.server+dhcp+dns(nic#2)---xp.domain.client
                +
                +-- existing systems

***UPDATE***

OK
I tried to install a 2nd NIC card on this server (Dell Poweredge 2600) and when I rebooted, I got a BSOD with this message:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

So I started looking around to try and figure out what that's all about. I found that many people say it's bad memory, some say it could be a bad HD, and even some say it's a bad motherboard. Well, I know this machine has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks, so I wanted to try a few things first.

I tried a different NIC, same problem. Pulled out RAM sticks and replaced them one by one (with NIC still installed) and got the same thing. So I decided to give it another try without the 2nd NIC. It booted fine, and has now been running for an hour or so. I checked the event viewer and all it shows is that the machine shut down unexpectedly. No sign of any other errors.

So, since I tried 2 different NICs in the same slot, I'm leaning toward the idea that it may be an issue with the PCI slot. Sad thing about it is, there is only the one slot. All the others are the old ISA slots, and I have nothing that fits in those.

For now, I will move on to your other suggestion and see what happens. I won't be back in the office till tomorrow, so I'll work on this in my spare time then and see what happens.

Thanks again. I'll keep you updated...

Do you have a free PCI-X slot?
What type of card did you install. I would take it out if I was you.

This is what you have right?
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/2600_specs.pdf

You have this:
Single embedded Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit NIC
Go and buy or order another Intel but PCI-X or Clone PCI-X
Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit OS Server?

Seven expansion slots: 2 x 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X; 4 x 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X;
1 x 32-bit/33MHz PCI

I've never written this type of code, but I think I understand that you are just drawing a picture of the layout, correct?
If that is the case, this code is the closest I could get to a visual representation of what I'm looking for.

My network (without the server/router2/xpclient) is like this:

Code:
isp---modem-router#1
                  +
                  +----Existing Systems
Pretty simple, really. But what I'm trying to do is this:
Code:
isp---modem-router#1------router#2-------(nic#1)DC.srv+DHCP+DNS
                    +            + 
                    +            +XP.domain.client 
                    +
                    +---Existing Systems

I don't know if it's possible to do this, but it seems to me like it would work.

I guess what I'm looking to do is to have router1 keep serving the same function it's been serving, but run a cat5 from router1 over to router2 and have both the server and the xp client on that router, but kinda living in their own subnet. I just need them to have internet access, which is why I need to run from router1, but I want the server to provide all the TCP/IP info for the client.

I hope this is more clear now. I get confused trying to put it into words...lol
So anyway...thanks for all your help guys, and I'll let you know how it's going periodically.

Do you have a free PCI-X slot?
What type of card did you install. I would take it out if I was you.

This is what you have right?
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/2600_specs.pdf

You have this:
Single embedded Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit NIC
Go and buy or order another Intel but PCI-X or Clone PCI-X
Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit OS Server?

Seven expansion slots: 2 x 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X; 4 x 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X;
1 x 32-bit/33MHz PCI

The card I installed was a Linksys LNE100TX v5.2.
And yes, you are right, the other slots are large PCI-X slots on this server.
I tookm the card out and the BSOD has not appeared again. So, I'm guessing that either the card is just not compatible with with this server, or there is a problem with the PCI slot on the board. I do not have any PCI-X NICs, and with a quick search for the type of card I would need, I'm finding that if you buy new, they are quite expensive. Especially since I am only using this server to practice for exams and familiarize myself with the "big picture" of networking in a server / client environment.

So I need to find a different way to accomplish my goal.

The layout that I posted last night, (below this post) seems like it could work in my head, but I am pretty new to the hands on of networking. I can set up a single router on a home network, no problem. This however, is much more challenging for someone of my experience level.

I know that if I turn off the DHCP in router2 and plug a line from router1 into a LAN port instead of the WAN port, I can use this as an access point, but I don't plan on using the wireless on this router (#2). We already have a great signal here, and I'm pretty sure that the signal from 2 routers at once would interfere with each other.

So if someone could let me know whether this next scenario would work, that would be great.

router#1
IP: 192.168.1.1
We have 3 machines already connected and working fine.

router#2
IP: 192.168.2.1
gateway: 192.168.1.1

server IP: 192.168.2.100
set a scope for...let's say 101 - 120
gateway: 192.168.2.1

client set to obtain IP automatically from 192.168.2.100

Is this scenario possible?

I will be trying to set this up sometime today, so if anyone knows it will NOT work, please let me know.

Thanks!

Back in 2006 this is how I did it. Link shows you what you can do. Might have to make some minor changes but it should work out just find. Might also want to print out the docs with images or create screen dump to PDF file.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

I just read through that. Thanks, man. It seems pretty close to what I have been looking to do, so if my current scenario doesn't work out, I will start from scratch on that. I kinda want to finish this the way I'm doing it just to see if it works. If it doesn't, well chalk it up as a learning experience.

I just read through that. Thanks, man. It seems pretty close to what I have been looking to do, so if my current scenario doesn't work out, I will start from scratch on that. I kinda want to finish this the way I'm doing it just to see if it works. If it doesn't, well chalk it up as a learning experience.

Your welcome. But there might be a way around the issue with the PCI slot. I that card is 32-bit and you running Windows Server 2003 x64? If you buy this card Encore Gig PCI

ENCORE ENLGA-1320 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Ethernet Card 1 x RJ45 $7.99 Supports x86 & x64
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16833180026

No issues Server 2003 supports that card right out of the box. Uses Realtek Gig Controller and Jumbo frames are supported. I have a couple these prior to going PCI-E now.

Or you can get USB Gig NIC Ethernet Jack cost is about $35 bucks. I don't know what your budget is since the PCI-X is expensive. The last client of mine had DELL Xeron Workstation it had dual PCI-X onboard NiC and Adapter NIC to run Clear Analyzer.

But above is what you would use. For what you want to do you'll need 2 NICs. Once you got everything working the Server you got there would blow any of these plastic router out of the water. If I pickup another Q64 I could install SErver 2008 R2 SP2 and run that as NAT to manage here. Sounds like plan to me.

Install domain with server 2008 r2 in home network with router

This is for Windows Server 2008 R2 -
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/26c06cd7-9d44-4f8a-88f8-69d55d866501

Pretty much the same except a Router is used instead of the Server acting as NAT Router. Makes good reading. But I rather use server as it was suppose to be. All files, groups, printers users controlled by Active Directory in a Domain but in your home.

That link to speedguide will help you get it going. It will work just take your steps slowly. Double check your work and configuration. When you ready to go live watch out. You might never go back to home or business workgroup again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back