Network Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick back ground to leading to my problem. Got a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with Vista (Yuck), Bit the bullet and loaded XP (after a painstaking search for all the drivers). I created an Image of HD with Ghost. I had to re-load my image recently and now I am having network issues. I can ping the server but when I try get to any directory on the domain I get the an error telling me that it can't find the server or I may not have the permission to access it. My network admin gets the same message when he is signed in my machine. All I did was reload an image of my HD. Any suggestions.

ping is a special protocol and often defaults to an allow policy in firewalls.

server access however, is via ports 137,139,445 and need to be allowed in your firewall settings.

if you use the windows freebe, then just check File/Print sharing exception

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. You are correct my firewall that is supposed to be off was actually running in the background somehow and blocking all traffic. I have since ditched ZoneAlarm and all is good again. I should have known right away because I had a similar problem with ZoneAlarm and cookie blocking. I had turned it off but once again it still continued to run the web security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back