Networking ME and XP computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Windows ME desktop and a Windows XP laptop that are both able to connect to the internet through my wireless router, but I want to be able to link the two so I can backup my files. I have tried the networking wizard a number of times, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Any help would be very appriciated.

Several years ago (when I didn't know too much), I also had trouble networking ME with XP. I'm pretty sure It can be done because my boss at the time hired a computer guy who got it done, however ME was designed for home environment, not networking environment. I will tell you what he basically told us: Upgrade! If your PC is strong enough (at least 1Ghz Processor), go to XP. Otherwise (if less than 1Ghz) I would recommend 2000 Professional. XP is much more CPU and Memory intensive than 2000.

I need to Network before I Upgrade

I can't upgrade then network them, because I need to transfer my files to my laptop so I can burn them to DVD's before I reformat and upgrade to XP on my desktop.

You can do an Upgrade install of XP that doesn't require a reformat and will preserve your files.You will have to keep the FAT32 filesystem initially but you can convert to NTFS later.

i have both winME and XP home running avery good net connection..

but first i must say that it was a litteral pain in teh @.. to get it to work..

since your using a wifi router, its just another server (tho making sure your workgroup names are same) so go to c:/ or whatever thing you want and share it (right click->share), password/no password etc..

should show up in my network places or entire network>%workgroup%>%shared folder% or by typing in the ip address in IE..

or if you're having trouble with that (assuming you want direct X-over connection, but should still work with the router otherwise):

ok.. run home network wiz on winXp, next next next etc.. fill out like normal, create a network disk.

2. run the network disk on the winME, it will prompt you to boot. do so. set up the network wiz when it starts up... reboot if necisary.

between 2&3... share teh folders or drives you want to over the network..

3a. winME should pick up the network and give an annoying "PnP Device found click here" ballon or sorts.. dont bother with that, it just means everything is all good and you've done it right.

3b. if you're using logins to access winME (ie multi user) then you need to check the icon is two linked computers and the login heading is "windows network" or somthing like that, not the my computer icon. if you get the normal win login icon then login/logout or reboot, double checking that the physical networking device is connected and activated before you reboot/relogin

3c. winxp machine has to be on first to act as the server/make winME pick up the netwrk connection (dont ask me why) tehn winME...

4. goto network places or entire network yada yada yada and copy whatever files you want.. grab a snack and go watch tv for a bit, as transfering over 54g or 100 will still take a while (large files.. :))

5. if it still have problems, goto network properties and assign static IP address to both machines..

thats off the top of my head, and i'm not gonna try do it again for fear of losing my delicatly crafted ME - XP connection :D.. i may missed a bit but just a few tweaks here/there would fix it... Experiment :)

Wow is it really that simple? :giddy:

I guess the whole point is that ME doesn't like to talk to XP? I have 2 XP's networked together and sharing the internet using XP's ICS wizard. After going thru the whole wizard thing and making sure same workgroup etc etc they still wouldn't see each other. The catch was, TURN-OFF stupid Windows Firewall on the SHARED NIC card. Presto! and both were seeing each other and I could transfer files at will.

Just a thought. Cheers.

Upgrade

Orintheseas said:
I can't upgrade then network them, because I need to transfer my files to my laptop so I can burn them to DVD's before I reformat and upgrade to XP on my desktop.

Boot to ME then insert your XP disk and select to option to upgrade (rather than clean install). This will keep all of your files and settings intact. DO NOT REFORMAT.

Another thought.. if both are on the same router...then open and share all required drives, directories on both computers.. via open IE --> rightclick the drive click share.
open network connections an make sure MS client and file sharing are installed and operating... on XP install service, service advertising .
you should then be able to see ea computer shared drives.
New fast way is share via USB ports..or old way pc to pc connecting cable

Hi
It will work if both the desktop and the laptop are wireless which means that the router is connected to the cable modem as a standalone device – one end of the LAN cable from the cable modem to the input (WAN or Internet Port) of the router. Then install a wireless adaptor (internal or external) to the PC. Next, take the option ‘Set up a wireless network for a home or small office’ in Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connection… One more thing, don’t forget the ‘files and printer sharing’ routine.

> but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back