New Asus ROG Tytan gaming PC transforms at the push of a button

Rick

Staff

Although many enthusiasts prefer the satisfaction of building their own PC, there's still a solid market for pre-fabbed gaming machines. Asus and a handful of other companies seem to understand this. However, Asus thinks they have an irresistible feature that sets their beastly PC apart from the competition: it transforms itself into a halfway-open, innards-rearing, overdriven gaming rig at the push of a button.

The Asus ROG Tytan CG8890 -- a rig for gamers who know it's what's on the inside that counts -- admittedly looks pretty nice on the outside too. However, when users push that "Turbo Gear" button though, its side and top panels magically lift to partially reveal its glowing insides: a bevy of mesmerizing, LED-lit fans and an impressive liquid cooling system. 

When the system is operating in Turbo Gear mode, the PC is overclocked between 3.8GHz to 4.2GHz, depending on the user's choice.

Although the somewhat zany transformation feature adds a fun sense of novelty to this gaming machine, don't let its gimmicky selling point fool you. Inside, the system features an Intel Core i7-3960X, GeForce GTX 690, 16GB of RAM, 2 x 128GB SSDs in RAID-0 plus a 2TB 7200 HDD and an Asus Xonar DX sound card. 

Although a price hasn't been announced, it's a safe bet the radical Tytan ROG will be as expensive as you're thinking (perhaps even more so). SSDs, liquid cooling, GeForce GTX 690 and a custom case which features special "transformative powers" will likely come at a substantial premium.

Permalink to story.

So it shows a couple of what look like 60-80mm fans that dont appear to get any intake ventilation when closed up. Yea thats a great idea.

Complete and Total, Undeniable Waste of Money

They could of made mesh on the sides so the fans are used even when there closed. Kinda makes you have to leave them open all the time to get the best cooling.

Complete and Total, Undeniable Waste of Money
Lies. Just cause its not very practical doesn't mean its not cool and unique. I just wonder if its as loud as it is awesome. There is a reason they don't have live audio.

Nice surround speaker :p

Retail PC's are more likely overpriced by wastes like these.

3960x: ~$950
690: ~$1000
2X 128gb SSDs: ~$650
The case: ~$500 for novelty
Liquid cooling: ~$250
2 TB HDD: ~$150
16gb Ram (Doubtful that they'd use cheap stuff): ~$250
Sonar: ~$90

That's about $3850 give or take depending on where they get the pieces. Most likely a 15% overhead for "professional" installation. That puts this baby at about $4430...again, give or take. Does anyone agree with my very very rough suggestions? This isn't even counting that blu ray burner nor the power supply that they'd need to run this beast.

Looking at at least $5000 there, and then you can add a 2nd 690 +$1000, more SSD +$1000, I wouldn't be surprised if the top tier unit is approaching the $8000 mark. All for something that would likely never be used to its full potential.

that was the most ridiculous video I have ever seen, but then it was so stupid that I laughed. I was expecting the tower to turn into something complicated, I don't know why.

2X 128gb SSDs: ~$650 . LOL are you out of your mind? the ocz vertex 3 are about 100 each lol

I would think that the people who don't care for building their own rig would probably be the kind of people who like thins like this. So who knows, maybe a good move by Asus.

Eh, actually, it's almost critical that you run a computer in an enclosure - otherwise the fans are far less effective. A lot of folks think that out in the open does better cooling, but rather, airflow... having airflow is what keeps it cool enough.

2 x 128gb ssds not 500 more like 200 or maybe less as its a bulk deal.
This boz is one for the show-offs. Why not ? if you got the muliks go for it.

Back