New build comes on, goes off, then on and stays on

Hi all,

Awesome site. Been a reader and now i am registered because i have just built my first machine and i have a issue that i am not sure if it's going to be a problem later. I have searched the forum but did not come up with a explanation...or i did not search hard enough. Sorry if it's the latter.

Here it is, she comes ON for a second or 2, turns OFF for about 2 - 3 secs then turns back ON and stays ON. Everything works with no problems, but it just bugs me not knowing why she comes on and off like that when turning her on.

I first thought it was the fan but it is sitting tight on my CPU and then thought it was the PSU, but it powers on...so I have no clues. Please help. Thanks in advance!

GW

Build:
ASUS P7P55D-E mobo
Intel i5 750
ASUS GTX460 768mb 192bits
Kingston 2 x 2GBs DDR3 CL9 rams
Antec 650w PSU (not sure of the model)

When it turns off, do you mean all fans, lights and video output shut off for those few seconds? At what point does it shut off?

Thanks for the reply. I was busy with work and no time to come on. Well, yes, everything turns off except the green led which stays on all the time when its plugged it.

When I turn it on, it powers up the all fans and LEDs for a about 2 seconds, then everything goes off (except the green led on the mobo) for about 2 - 3 seconds and everything comes back on and no problems after that. I've been just putting it to sleep just in case. Thanks again for your reply.

That does seem like unusual behavior although I don't have actual experience with that board. It sounds to me like a problem with the motherboard but I don't know for sure. It would be impractical to substitute another motherboard just to test that theory (unless you happened to have one handy).

I am experiencing this on my sister's P4 system, but it usually only happens when it was just plugged in, and sometimes it happens at random times.
This doesn't happen on my P4 system, so I swapped the PSUs, but that didn't solve the problem.
For this reason I would think the motherboard is causing the problem, but I wouldn't expect this from an ASUS mobo; the one with the problem is an ASRock P4I45GV. I would suggest swapping the PSU with a different one. If that doesn't solve the problem, try using a different mobo.

Back