New Build comp won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has gotta be one of the most commonly asked questions. Okay, I just finished putting together my very first PC and I'm having trouble. For some reason the thing wont turn on. I even upped the power supply but every time I press that start button no dice. I'm wondering if the case wiring is compatible I read the manual and insterted the pins the right way initially of course. The lights on the led turn on if I rig the wires differently. I'm just really lost at this point.

Here are the specs. So far all the components are supported.

Mainboard
G31M3 series

graphics card
r4670

Power supply
Antec 650 watt
combined max out 160 w
combined max out 540 w

Dual core Pentium Processor E5200
2MB L2
shared cache

Case
Rosewill R891Sl I think.

Any help would be great.

"Okay, I just finished putting together my very first PC and I'm having trouble"...

There are many things a "first timer" can miss. Here are just a few:
1. Motherboard shorting to case. Too many standoffs or too few standoffs
2. Wires/cables from power supply to the motherboard are placed wrong or incomplete
3. Case power switch not connected properly to the motherboard
4. CPU bad or not installed properly with heatsink & fan
5. Motherboard is defective

Assemble the motherboard outside the case, with nothing but the CPU, and memory installed. If the motherboard has on-board video, use it... see if the system starts

That's the first positive feedback I've heard from support
Mostly I have been abused by other support members (about 3 to date!)

Now I can see how the Board could have shorted but a bigger issue is I did not use a standoff what should I do about that.I re installed the cpu three times now. I'm really thinking that the mainboard is DOA I hope not though.

"I did not use a standoff"...

I hope you mean that the standoffs are part of the motherboard mounting area of the case! If you screwed the motherboard directly to the case, the motherboard is fried

One thing you could check is that the motherboard supports the CPU.
If you locate you motherboard on MSI's page you can check the CPU support list.

Even if the motherboard supports dualcore it does not nesseseraly
mean it support that paticular processor you have choosen.
Have seen this a lot of times.

Look at the CPU serialnumber or series and make sure the motherboard supports its
before you try anything else. May just take a BIOS upgrade to support your CPU
(of course this meens you have to get hold of a CPU that the motherboard do support,
to be able to flash the BIOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back