New Dell super phone leaks, packs some intimidating specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've been tingling with anticipation over the forthcoming Windows Phone 7 handsets, Engadget just caught wind of a very promising Dell device. The phone, dubbed Lightning, is a portrait slider with a spec sheet to back up its name.

According to the leaked documents, Dell's Lightning boasts a 4.1-inch WVGA (800x480) OLED display, a 1GHz QSD8250 Snapdragon processor, 1GB of Flash memory with 512 MB of RAM and 8GB of storage via microSD (presumably built-in).

It also has a full QWERTY keyboard, a five-megapixel autofocus camera (possibly with flash), 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, GPS, an accelerometer, a compass, FM radio, as well as support for Flash, Silverlight, and various popular audio and video formats.

The Dell Lightning is destined for AT&T and T-Mobile, and is expected to arrive in the fourth quarter of this year along with a volley of other Windows Phone 7 devices.

Permalink to story.

Very nice... looks like something i'd get if it priced right.

Tis a shame it only packs a 5.0mp autofocus though... though if it keeps the body slim enough then its all good. Doesn't look all that much bigger than a blackberry.

It is way sad that they are going the AT&T and T-Mobile Route. Both suck big time.

Intimidating specs? After the N1 came out these specs are becoming -or are- standard. The phone with intimidating spec is the Samsung Galaxy S which will run Android 2.2 with AMOLED, and pretty much everything this Dell phone has.

Another intimidating phone is the HTC Incredible. Which is better than this one. Now, this one has WM 7 and since I don't know how well it performs compared to Android 2.1, I better don't get into a debate. But everything else is pretty.... normal.

Cheers!

Very nice looking. I do agree though with the person above me, these specs are starting to seem standard. The only spec that caught my attention was the 4.1inch screen. I haven't gotten a smart phone yet, so I am not sure what size screen I would want, but I am glad that Dell is offering something different from the 3.5-3.7 inch standard I usually see.

I'm looking forward to WP7 coming out. I really hope it turns out good. I'm glad to see a lot of companies will have different offerings come launch time. Not to start a flame war, but I think MS is taking the right approach here by having strict software control and hardware requirements while still allowing enough room for several manufacturers to create their own (semi)-unique offerings. I think this business model will pose a serious threat to iPhone. I think the Android platform is too fractured (all my friends who have one are complaining that their carrier isn't upgrading them fast enough to 2.1)

Some of the specs are good some of the specs are plain average at this point. One other downside I see to this phone is that it is a slider. One nice thing about an iphone or any phone that is just a brick is they become very hard to break. I have a samsuag instinct it is the first phone I have ever had that hasn't broke with 2 years.

Nice. Makes me think that it'd be worth buying a new phone in 2-3 years when the low end has these specs. Or maybe I'll just buy an iPhone 4G when it comes out. :)

Too bad they're hopping in bed with AT&T... Guess they figure if it worked for the iPhone why not Dell? Until they are on Verizon, they are dead to me... I need my phone to be cool and fast, but to actually work everywhere I travel (and AT&T fails miserably in the backwaters areas I have to go).

Been reading elsewhere about the Thunder model too, very similar but supposedly better camera and runs Android... Would be interesting to compare nearly identical models side by side, to see which mobile OS is faster... My bet is on Android.

Vrmithrax said:
Too bad they're hopping in bed with AT&T... Guess they figure if it worked for the iPhone why not Dell? Until they are on Verizon, they are dead to me... I need my phone to be cool and fast, but to actually work everywhere I travel (and AT&T fails miserably in the backwaters areas I have to go).

Been reading elsewhere about the Thunder model too, very similar but supposedly better camera and runs Android... Would be interesting to compare nearly identical models side by side, to see which mobile OS is faster... My bet is on Android.

It's pretty smart for Dell to hop onto the AT&T bandwagon IMO. AT&T has a TERRIBLE selection of smartphones as is, aside from the iphone. A lot of users, myself included, having been waiting ages for other viable phones to use on the AT&T network. This phone is looking to be an instant win for me, depending on what else creeps into AT&T by Q4 this year...

treeski said:
AT&T has a TERRIBLE selection of smartphones as is, aside from the iphone.

Hmm...wonder why that is, lol.
~"WOW! GUYS! Look at my really cool, high tech smart phone!!!"
~"Awesome, Timmy!"
~"Yeah, I know.....too bad it has sucky coverage"

But back on topic, this does look like a pretty nice phone. The biggest thing for me is the bigger screen. Too bad i'll be switching to Verizon when my T-Mobile contract is up (this has possibly been the longest year of my life)

Again another great looking phone with tons of promise, only to be dragged down by sub-par cell service aka AT&T and T-Mobile.

C'mon Sprint and Verizon...let's get 'er done!

It looks okay, but I STILL can't wrap my head around the idea of only putting a 8gb micro SD chip in these phones! Can't they see that they should at least put 16gb internal memory, plus an extra micro SD slot for more memory?

All the phones have been doing that (not putting enough memory), and this is a big part of why I went with my 32 gb iphone. Who wants 2 devices these days (phone, music player), when you can roll it into one? If you carry a bunch of apps, photos, videos and music, your 8 gb suddenly isn't so big. My boyfriend has a 16gb iphone, only has about 6 gb of music, yet his phone is full.

I just wish they would wake up and smell the coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back