New DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

first off this is not to do with computers.

i just got a new dvd player its song 5 disc thing and have decided since its 5 disc i will replace my 5 disc cd aswell and just use the new player and im not sure on my cable situation.

ok i have the usual yellow (video) and the red and white audio plugs, the s-video cable, a digital cable thing and a component video with the colours green,blue and red colours.

i know i dont need the digital plug thing cause my amplifier is pretty old so it wont have that plug.

but i do need to hook up the dvd player through both the tv and amplifier so i can you the cd player while the tv is off so i have put the red and white auidio cables from the amp to the dvd and left the yellow one empty.

for the video and sound through the tv i assume i have to go out and buy a cable with the green blue and red colours and im hoping this works. is that correct??

and one last thing what do i do with an s-video cable? do i use it instead on the normal video cable???

thanks.

Most TV's today have Scart inputs. Buy a DVD-to-Scart adapter, this goes in the back of your TV. In the adapter you plug the yellow/red/white cables that come from your DVD.

There is a handy set, the Video 1.8 metre scart/audio connecting kit, made by Recoton, article TSVG780 (www.recoton.com).

With 3-way connectors you should be able to feed the red/white cables through to your audio-system, or use a scart-multi-box and extra adapter and cable as above.

You don't need the component cable as far as I know.
The S-video cable can be used to connect e.g. an analogue videocamera to your TV for playback.

My thoughts are the same as Mictlantecuhtli, I think what he said is the best way to go.
but i do need to hook up the dvd player through both the tv and amplifier so i can you the cd player while the tv is off so i have put the red and white auidio cables from the amp to the dvd and left the yellow one empty.

for the video and sound through the tv i assume i have to go out and buy a cable with the green blue and red colours and im hoping this works. is that correct??
I have the video going thru my receiver, and then to the TV. My TV is always on anyway, (most DVD players have on screen menu's) and this way I only have to switch the receiver, and the TV automatically changes to. If you run the audio thru the receiver and the video to the TV, you have to switch both the TV and the receiver seperately, to go from, say, cable to DVD, (assuming all your audio is routed thru the receiver, ie; cable/sat, tape deck, DVD, etc). I hope this all makes sense. Kind of confusing, eh?

You will only need to purchase the component video cable, (green, blue, red), if your TV supports this, your picture will be best this way. If it does not, use the next best, S-Video, or if you have to, the yellow cable.

wow that was confusing...

my reciever doesnt have a video plug it just has the red and white if i remember correctly (its hard to get to the back of it). so i cant go with that option.

i cant find the manual for the tv its 2 yrs old. but it does have 4 sets of the yellow,red and white on the back plus it has a row of plugs of the following colours red,white,green,blue and red
im guessing the last three are for the video component. can anyone confirm this??

the next bit about the dvd menu part and switching the reciever confused me so ill just skip that unless you have msn or icq and could explain

i realise if i run the audio thru the receiver and the video to the tv ill have to switch both on and i wont get sound through the tv but i cant think of another way to do it at the moment so i can also get sound while the tv itself is off.

the next bit you lost me again but ill try and explain my audio setup as i recall it to be setup.

the vcr has the video and audio going to the tv and then the tv has the audio going to the receiver. the dvd player has the audio going to the receiver and i have plans to connect the video to the tv. it has just occured to me that maybe i could connect the audio to the vcr that way ill get osund through the tv but im not sure on the plug situation.

i have that makes sense. sorry if it doesnt.

im guessing the last three are for the video component. can anyone confirm this??
I think you are right, those should be the video component connections.

You are also right about my post being confusing, since you don't have video thru on your receiver, you can disregard most of it anyway.
i realise if i run the audio thru the receiver and the video to the tv ill have to switch both on and i wont get sound through the tv
If you have two pairs of "audio outs" on the DVD player, run cords to both the TV and your receiver. If you don't, you should be able to purchase a couple of "Y" cords at Radio Shack, or some other similar store. That's a standard RCA type cord, same type you are using now, that has a "male" plug on one end, and two "female" plugs on the other. Plug the male end of each cord into left and right "audio out" on your DVD player. This in effect gives you two "audio outs" for each channel on your DVD player. Run one pair, left and right, to the receiver and the other pair to your TV. This allows you to have audio on both the TV and the receiver. You could hook up the VCR the same way.

As to on screen menu's, most DVD players have a menu that shows on your TV screen that will tell you, among other things, how many chapters/tracks are on the DVD/CD, how much time you have left on the disc, and the audio format.

Hope that's a little clearer.

that was much clearer thank you.

i didnt know they made a "Y? cable thats a fantastic idea. im going shopping very hsortly at a rather earlier hour for soem reason so ill see if i can pick some up while im out.

thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back