New DVD-RW Drive - Playback problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have just put in a new DVD drive and the installation seems to be successful however, when I try to play a DVD in this drive it is choppy, both the audio and video jolt instead of running smoothly.

I thought it may have something to do with DMA on the IDE controller settings, but I've checked this and they're set to DMA when available. Then I tried codecs - installed a K-lite codec pack, and it didn't seem to help. I have tried playing the dvd in both Intervideo WinDVD 8, and also Windows Media Player 11. Both have the same trouble...

Would reeeeally appreciate some help on this :dead:
Thanks

Wow.....

I have 4 of those Pioneers: a 110, 2 111s, and a 112. They all work flawlessly. They all plugged and played on the first try. Did you set the jumpers correctly for your type Motherboard? I'm not certain if Media Player 11 will run DVD without an installed codec. The older versions would not. Make sure to install the 112 as the master drive on the IDE cable (furthest from the board), check the jumpers and use the taskmanager (CNTRL+ALT+DEL) to monitor the running processes. I doubt if it's germaine to this issue, but, neither WinDVD or Media Player would pull the correct sound tracks out of "Tenacious D & The Pick Of Destiny" for me. Had to use Nero Showtime to get the vocal track. I think that's what happened. Anyway that could be due to Sony's DRM, not only copy proof but play proof as well.

hmm

Unfortunately I'm only just learning about the whole slave and master deal, however when I put the dvd drive into the dell computer, I checked the other dvd-rom and it was set to CS (cable select as I discovered) and I read on the net that if it uses this that you should set all devices to CS aswell? So I did that when i connected it so I'm pretty sure I have it all plugged in okay...
I've just put the new dvd drive into another computer pretty much the same as the last, with the same settings, however i don't have k-lite on this computer and so now when i insert a dvd and try to play it through WMP 11 of course i get a black screen and nvidia decoder pops up saying it's trying to work it...
should i try to download some sort of codec, if this is possibly the problem? unless it is something else
:confused:

Something like that happened to me with a Liteon drive I installed on one of my PCs recently. It had trouble with playing DVDs but not CDs. So I played some CDs and found a DVD it would play and played it through. It seemed to break it in and it works fine now.

Umm...Yes....

If one drive is cable select then the other will be as well. However, I don't think it can hurt to place your new DVD drive in the master position (on the IDE cable). The OS still registers drives as slave & master irregardless of whether you have a cable select board. On Microsoft's web site (support/download) section there is a small utility available to hunt for video codecs. You might/probably will have to submit to having "Windows Genuine Advantage" installed on your computer to retrieve all but security updates. If you tell WMP to find a codec for you to install it will take you to a web page where you can BUY one of many. Personally, I don't care if my WMP will play a DVD whatsoever.
Since you've entered the realm of DVD recorders, I suggest you install the trial Nero suite that your burner probably came with. I say this because the 710# you gave is a retail package, and 3 out of 4 of my drives has come with Nero.
The 110 was packaged with U-Lead Movie factory 4. The Nero Retail suite with "Nero Digital" (even if you can get your hands on the older 6.0) will get you started handily with working with video files. It contains a player "Nero Showtime", translate that to read "video plugin", which is just another way of saying Mpeg2 codec. DVD will still be sort of hurky jerky if you have too many other apps running.

Success

hmm, after trying a few things I managed to get it working actually because all along it must have been the stupid WMP and the need for non-existant codecs. I ended up trying a few different dvd programs, windvd seemed to not like the computer but powerdvd seemed to work for me. The picture is as clear as and runs smoothly even with an extra program running.
Thanks heaps for the advice tho guys cus it really did help out with some ideas :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back