New Harddrive doesnt work... Bios update???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I resntly bought myself a new harddrive for my PC. Nothing special, its a 40 Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200. When i tried to install it it didnt work. The PC just cant see it. A mate sugested a bios update but ive heard they can ruin the PC if they go wrong. Can someone explain exactly what a bios update does and how to do it. Ive got the update just deciding whether to get someone to do it or not. Or if someone has some other sugestions as to getting the new harddrive working...

Thanks

Pisso

it's pretty unlikely that you're going to need a bios update to use a second harddrive. it's far more likely that the cabling and jumper scheme is flawed, check that out first.

a bios update (aka 'flashing' the bios) is the process of changing the bios code stored on a special chip onboard (aka cmos chip) to a different version. it is performed by executing a program supplied by your motherboard maker, and may or may not require the use of floppies. running an update program designed for another motherboard can easily cause fatal errors that make the board unbootable. losing power during the bios upgrading process can corrupt the cmos code and render the system unbootable. should a board become unbootable, it will not be able to execute the correct update program and cannot be fixed.

hi,

Thanks for that. Ive had quite a few people try to get the harddrive going even as the main harddrive with no go. We have tried different jumper settings, everything.
One person who tried was saying that because the harddrive is quite new and the PC is really old the bios needs updating, so they can work together... Whats your thoughts on that...

Your original harddisk must be set to Master (or Master with Slave present) with a jumper on the back of it.
The new one should be on the same flat cable (on the middle connector), and its jumper must be set to Slave.
Check that the coloured (red or blue) wire on that flat cable is at pin 1 (near the power-connector).
If it's an old PC you might only be able to use 32GB of it.

A BIOS update might be needed to use the full 40GB, but it should work "as is".
In the BIOS, set it to LBA mode on the page where you find harddisks and floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back