New Installation - PC is worse!

r0bbi3

Hello everyone,

I recently bought some components to upgrade my pc. These consist of a new cpu, motherboard, video card and psu.

The main issue I'm having is now in games my FPS is lower in games, and freezing even.

The cpu is - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Motherboard - Asus m4a785-m

Everything runs fine except for the frame rate and some flickering.

I've updated everything, or atleast thought I did.

Hopefully you guys can help, thanks so much!

Do you have your nvidia card selected as your display adapter? Thats the only thing I can think of? lol sorry if this is a stupid answer.

Or check your nvidia control panel to make sure your settings are set right.

haha yeah I'm pretty sure its selected. the control panel seems fine too. I really think it has to do with driver updates.. seems like their not working to the full potential.

3GB should be fine, I used to play Crysis among others with only 2GB and it still had a little to spare with that amount.

Is this a fresh install of your Windows?
Or have you just changed the parts and rebooted back into your old OS?
What was your old setup that these new parts replaced?

3GB should be fine, I used to play Crysis among others with only 2GB and it still had a little to spare with that amount.

Is this a fresh install of your Windows?
Or have you just changed the parts and rebooted back into your old OS?
What was your old setup that these new parts replaced?

No, this is the same windows I had with the old hardware. I was thinking of getting a new hard drive and a fresh windows 7 install. That would probably help.

The old setup was
MB: ASUS M3N78 PRO ACPI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 3000 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Vista (Still using Vista)
500W Power Supply

Currently my new specs are the same as my original post - Except I also got a 700W power suppy and a new MB - ASUS M4A785-M

Do a fresh install of Windows, after backing up your current Windows install.

The problem will likely be the OS specific drivers created during, and after the original Windows install, and the issues are likely because it is confused as to your hardware changes.

A fresh install should sort it out. I've always made it a habit of doing a fresh install of Windows whenever I do anything as severe as changing the motherboard and CPU. RAM and GPU, hard disks, DVD drives, PSU's etc are fine, but the drivers required for utilising motherboards are usually installed during Windows setup, so any changes can aversely affect them.

Do a fresh install of Windows, after backing up your current Windows install.

The problem will likely be the OS specific drivers created during, and after the original Windows install, and the issues are likely because it is confused as to your hardware changes.

A fresh install should sort it out.

Thanks so much, whats the most effective way of backing up a windows install? I've never had to do it.

I would recommend something like Easus To-Do backup which is free. I have used this many times in the past.

If you have the spare drive space on another drive i would recommend you back it up to there, but you could create a parition with your current drive, and then save the disk image to the new partition. You can then re-format Windows safe in the knowledge your data is on the newly created second partition should you need it. Or alternatively, you could just make a new partition again, and then move everything into it before formating the OS partition, and then move it back afterwards and lastly delete the partition you made to return it back to full capacity again.

Back