New "invisible glass" ends glossy versus matte dilemma

Matthew

TS Evangelist
There could be a day in the near future when you'll be able to purchase a laptop or smartphone without compromising on the visual quality of its display. Most viewing…

Read the whole story

red1776

Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe
Despite those possibilities, it's unclear when or if Nippon's technology will make it to a tablet near you.
hehe, I get it! Good one Matthew.:p:rolleyes:

red1776

Before you start having sport at the expense of Matthew, If you look up the definition of Enchant, it actually means....
Definition of ENCHANT
transitive verb
: to influence by or as if by charms and incantation : bewitch
....nope, Matthew your screwed.:p:haha::wave:

spydercanopus

TS Evangelist
I foresee something like this going "As Seen On TV" and for sale in every check-out line, soon.

I'd pay a lot to get rid of glare.

Arris

TS Evangelist
Hehe Matthew, I now have a mental image of Nippon's production line having a guy in a robe with a tome in hand casting incantations on the pieces of glass as they go past on the conveyor belt.

chaboi390

TS Rookie
I don't think how could this be implemented into buildings or other infrastructure. The idea of Matte Glass is to decrease glare which save energy requirements to shine things brighter behind a display. Its kinda silly if this was used as a door or a window. just think how many people will just hit into an invisible wall? 0_o

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
I wonder if there is any technical reason why this technology couldn't be incorporated with gorilla glass. That would be a good result if it could/

Burty117

TechSpot Chancellor
Brock Samson said:
This technology could make some really cool aquariums.
Now that would be awesome! As long as the water was properly filtered you would really struggle to see where the water is and it would seem like the fish are floating in mid air!

red1776

If they start making this glass for home and commercial windows, women everywhere will be doing a Tippi Hedren impersonation.

G

They aren't going to use it as building windows. The windows on skyscrapers for sure are highly reflective on purpose. Reflect the heat, keep the cool in. This would just let all the heat in.

PinothyJ

TS Guru
cliffordcooley said:
I've not seen anyone mention a scratch resistant factor.

If it scratches easy, I wouldn't care how invisible it is.

Get this man to the boardroom, STAT!

^^…

Arris

TS Evangelist
I've not seen anyone mention a scratch resistant factor.
I wonder if there is any technical reason why this technology couldn't be incorporated with gorilla glass. That would be a good result if it could/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

I guess that combining scratch resistant layers would mess up the anti-reflectivity of the technology. Lets hope that they have considered this and combined an element of anti-scratch/damage resistancy to this product.

Latest posts