New Jersey town bans texting while walking

bobcat

The statewide ban on texting while driving wasn’t enough for one New Jersey town, according to The Huffington Post. After 74 crashes involving pedestrians in 2011, three of which were fatal, Fort Lee, New Jersey passed a new law earlier this year that fines walkers $85 who do not stop prior to texting. “It’s a big distraction,” Fort Lee Police Chief Thomas Ripoli said. “Pedestrians aren’t watching where they are going and they are not aware.” Since the law has been in place, Fort Lee police have issued more than 117 tickets.

My comment: Though I haven’t tried texting while walking, I’ve hit my head on lamp posts while turning it to watch girls. Texting seems as bad or worse, so I see it as a sensible measure and wonder why the ban isn’t more widespread.

But they shouldn’t ban girl-watching. ;)

Seems like a sensible precaution, walking while texting must be at least as debilatating as walking while wrecked on Jim Beam or whatever, and that's been controlled for ever!

It don't matter when & where its banned, people will still do it. Its illegal to drink & drive, but people still do it.

Have to call foul on this one. Texting laws banning driving and texting is a legitimate restriction due to the nature of the activity. However, trying to protect people from themselves by prohibiting texting while walking is absurd. If someone wants to act a fool and not pay attention to their surroundings, it is their right to do so. Trying to mandate responsibility won't change anything (although it seems to always be good for revenue). In fact, I'd go as far as to say that laws in the spirit of this one (trying to protect people from themselves) only worsens the problem by trying to get people to obey rules instead of forcing them to exercise common sense.

A more effective (and just) law would be giving full liability to blockheads who step into traffic because they think an SMS is more important than the laws of physics.

I'm waiting for a proposal to ban chewing gum and walking at the same time. People afflicted with the inability to handle this activity are deserving of protection too.

texting pedestrian.jpg

Back