New Media Room - Computer, HDTV, Home Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Glad to have found this forum.

I'm moving into a new house soon and I have the opportunity to do some work on it, ie, put cables behind the wall, place the outlets where I want, etc. Also, I'll be getting a new computer and we're gonna go HDTV for a new TV as well. In short, pretty much a clean slate. Except for the home theater audio system, which is a JVC RX-6022V receiver and a JVC progressive scan DVD player.

It looks like the HD signal will come from a Comcast HDTV tuner (cable), and I think a wire going from the computer to the TV would have to go about 20-25 ft. I've used computers since the 80's, but I'm new to the idea of a media computer and have never had an HDTV before.

What should I make sure the computer has, especially in a video card? Are there cards with HDMI out or should I stick with DVI out, and then a digital out from a sound card? And then what would be the best way to connect the computer, cable hd tuner, tv, dvd player, and audio receiver to get max quality?

Thanks for your help.

Htpc

To add my recent thoughts, I think I'll go with a home theater PC (HTPC) and have it with the TV components right by the TV. I think I'll run a network cable from the TV area the 20-25 ft to the desk area where I'll have my old computer for now. But I still have questions about HDMI vs DVI vs Firewire or whatever, and how it would be set up incorporating: HDTV, HDTV Cable box, HTPC, and Audio receiver. Thanks.

Im surprized noone has even entered this room to help you out.
Make sure you have an HDTV video card (best one are the ones that can out put extremely high resolutions 1080p if you go any lower than that then your not getting true HD content.

Make sure you have a sound card with spdif output(optical cable (laser light))

And make sure you have a really fast processor.

Trash your sub and go buy yourself a 500 watt sub or even better 1000 watt sub you live in a house, a fresh house it is time to turn up the heat :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back