New mobo, but two slots of RAM won't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predict

Hi, I got this new mobo and 2 sticks of ram wont work in the first two slots. The ram is brand new from OCZ. I have 8gb of the same type of ram, and only the last two slots seem to work. When I put all 4 in or just first 2 the computer wont show a picture. I know 8gb prob is to much for just cod/mmo, but its brand new and it doesnt work.

Is there a program that I can use to test the slots? Or maybe Im doing something wrong?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813131232
Ram: http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc..._6400_vista_performance_gold_4gb_dual_channel

What operating system are you using ? That sometimes makes a difference.

Otherwise, it is not that unusual to get a board that has a non-working configuration. Return the board with an explanation, and most sellers will exchange without argument.

You may be configuring the RAM incorrectly in the four DIMMS. For dual channel you should be using DIMMs A1 and B1 which is the first and THIRD slots. When using all four DIMMs, the operating system could be limiting the reported RAM as raybay mentioned. See page 2-13 of your manual for details.

I'm using vista. Right now I am using the 3rd and 4th slot(B1-B2). The ram inst coded or anything, but it has a number at the end of the serial # saying 1 or 2. When I plug the other 2 sticks in I plug the first one then 2nt one in the A1-A2. After restarted a few times with them all plunged in, it seemed to boot and when it was loading windows it shut down. After that I just kept 2 in, and thats where i am now.

Did you configure the RAM in the BIOS, or just plug the modules in and rely on the Auto settings?
If you didn't change any settings manually in the BIOS then the board will have set the RAM to run at JEDEC specification- which is actually your RAM's spec (1.8v, 5-5-5-15, DDR2-800). When using four memory modules the voltage often needs a slight increase to maintain stability. Your RAM is guaranteed to 2.1v (extended voltage protection) to accomodate this.
When I say slight increase I'm talking 0.05v increments (i.e. 1.85, 1.9, 1.95, 2).
Since the board boots I would suggest downloading a program called Memtest86+ to test the RAM for errors and stability.
The easiest way to run the program would be to click either
"Download-Auto installer for USB key" and install the .iso file onto a flash drive, or click "Download-Pre-Compiled Bootable .iso" and burn to CD.
Once done, insert USB/CD and restart the computer, jump into the BIOS and reset the boot order to either USB or CD. F10 to save and reboot. The program will load (refer to the Memtest86+ site screenshots), start the test and the program will run through 8 tests, which constitute a "pass". I would run 7-10 passes to ensure that the RAM is error free. This will take some time. For 8Gb you will be looking at around 50-60min per pass.
If the RAM checks out OK then stop the test, get back into the BIOS setup and raise the RAM voltage by an increment (say to approx 1.85v), change the boot order back to your harddrive, F10 to save and reboot. If the system gets into Windows and stays happy then all good. If it fails to load or is flaky once it has loaded, then raise the RAM voltage to 1.9v, F10 out and attempt to reload. repeat if necessary.
If the OS wont load with the voltage set at 2.0v then there is a possibility that the memory controller (750i SPP) on the board is either not working as it should or is receiving insufficient voltage. I would attempt to eliminate RAM error/voltage instability first, so...
At this point I think it's probably wise to check the RAM for errors first, followed by the RAM voltage bumps if needed (and a small one will probably be needed) to see if the RAM can be made stable.

Edit: I'm assuming that both 4Gb RAM kits are identical part numbers. Is this correct?

You missed my point entirely or are ignoring it. Your manual says when using two RAM modules, use DIMMs A1 and B1. Did you try that yet?

You missed my point entirely or are ignoring it. Your manual says when using two RAM modules, use DIMMs A1 and B1. Did you try that yet?

Sorry if I miss read. I now just replaced the ram sticks to A1, and B1, and it booted up. Currently it is looking like the slots all work, and its seems the mobo needs some manual setup as the previous guy said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back