New motherboard/E3300 GTS250 overheating?

Heres my situation.
Had an Athlon 2400, Nvidia GTS250, M2N-MX-SE motherboard, 2g DDR2,
It foze up about a week ago, the HDD light would be lit whenever i tried to power up, but would not boot.
I did some testing, removing all the parts, and it was the same always, even with just the PSU, mobo and CPU, so I figured it was the Mobo, needed an upgrade anyway, so I bought a P5G41C-M LX and a celeron E3300.
When I popped everything back into the mobo and started her up to reinstall Windows XP, It was normal, until a couple of minutes into the install process it shut down. The graphics card was boiling. which was strange because It has run fine before in the old motherboard. My PSU is a generic 480w, which has worked fine for the past... 4 or so years. Whenever i turn it on now, the CPU fan spins for a second, before stopping.
Another thing is that when I took out the 250GTS and put in an old Nvidia 7900 card, it works fine. (Okay while I was typing this, It shut down and started spinning wildly, I took it out, and the thing boots up fine.
Could it be the PSU not powering it, with the new processor now. Or the Graphics card fried? Also Would I have to do something with the BIOS?
I dont mind replacing it, jus frustrating not knowing.
Thanks in advance.

My PSU is a generic 480w, which has worked fine for the past... 4 or so years.
They always work fine until the moment they don't. When PSUs go out they can take other parts with them. I would replace this PSU and then, if necessary, evaluate other parts.

Thanks for the reply,
I thought it would be something like that.
But I just tried it with a Corsair 450w that i borrowed from a mate, and it does the same thing.

Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to install Windows, such as setup can't find hard drive?

You have replaced at some point the motherboard, CPU, graphics card and power supply. That leaves RAM and the hard drive. Exactly when in the install process does it shut down?

Try installing only one RAM module at a time. First one, then the other.

Hamlet, Final Act.........

...[ ]....When I popped everything back into the mobo and started her up to reinstall Windows XP, It was normal, until a couple of minutes into the install process it shut down. The graphics card was boiling. which was strange because It has run fine before in the old motherboard. My PSU is a generic 480w, which has worked fine for the past... 4 or so years. Whenever i turn it on now, the CPU fan spins for a second, before stopping.
Another thing is that when I took out the 250GTS and put in an old Nvidia 7900 card, it works fine. (Okay while I was typing this, It shut down and started spinning wildly, I took it out, and the thing boots up fine.
Could it be the PSU not powering it, with the new processor now. Or the Graphics card fried? Also Would I have to do something with the BIOS?
I dont mind replacing it, jus frustrating not knowing.
Thanks in advance.
As a shoot from the hip sort of response, I'd say that the GT 240 is absolutely bad, and that the PSU may have killed it. Overheat can indicate over voltage.

In any event, exactly how long do you think a "generic 480w PSU" should last? The 350 Bestec in my Emachine lasted less than 6 months, The first 95 degree day and, "good night sweet prince". (stage direction; enter "Sir Antec" from the wings).

Back