New Nvidia Drivers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

New Drivers

Where exactly are the new NVidia drivers and has anyone actually tested the Quincunz anti-alaising and its impact on performance. I have a Visiontek Ti200 o/c'd at 470 mem 205 core. Tried to run Quincunz on Jedi Knight but the performance hit was to much. Well at any rate is someone tests this please let me know. Thanks....

I assume your talking about leaked beta drivers because the Nvidia site doesn't have any new drivers. You can find pretty much any version driver you want by going to www.warp2search.com and doing a search for nvidia drivers. They have links to downloads and refresh rate fixes also.

As far as quincunz I don't know because I don't game very much. I'll let some of our more experienced gamers answer this one.

I was under the impression that Quincunz FSAA was a happy medium between x2 and x4 though it is only used on Nvidia chipsets.

I assume your talking about the new 32 driver that were posted on the homepage.

http://www.theinquirer.net/06060214.htm

By Fuad Abazovic in Taiwan, 06/06/2002 17:28:59 BST

nVIDIA IS TODAY SET to introduce the driver that we all been waiting for - the New Detonator, 32. Something is going to finally make some performance difference and improve one of the things that we all been waiting a long time for.

Yes, you will see improved anisotropic (eh? Ed) filtering performance in this driver and we should be able to prove this very easily once we get back to our nice quiet lab in Bosnia.

We got a nice explanation from nVidia here in Taipei, that Anisotropic performance in 28.32 and previous Geforce 4 drivers where not as fast as you might expect because the Nvidia driver team focused on FSAA performance first, since they accepted that as a priority. After that they started to work on improving Anisotrotropic performance, I'm told.

You'll enjoy this driver. It's unusual that you get something extra from a new driver, mostly they're just for bug fixes and the like.

As of now there is no mention of it on their site www.nvidia.com that I see so I would guess it hasn't been released just yet. Be patient I'm sure soon enough it'll be out. :)

Thank You All

I of course checked on Nvidia site first thing after reading the news post on the front page and Tim's post earlier. Should have thought to try Goggle, don't know why I didn't seeing how I have found almost every fix for a computer problem there, outstanding search engine. Guess I will stay in the 28.32's till Nvidia officially releases them.

http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=5042
=>Posted by: MarkFox.
=>Friday, June 07 @ 23:46:45 CEST

Well, as many of you have come to realise, the Inquirer story yesterday which claimed that new detonator drivers would be released on 6th of June 2002 was inaccurate.

There was no new drivers posted on NVIDIA site yesterday or today. Detonator 5 is not here yet. Sorry :(

I guess we could have predicted this since NVIDIA doesn't usually pre-announce launch dates for their products or software through unofficial means.

Click on Read more for more info.

After I saw the news on Inquirer yesterday, I decided to find out if it is true of course. I have contacted NVIDIA and I got a standard response from them:

"NVIDIA does not discuss or comment on unannounced products, technologies, drivers or rumors."

Obviously I wasn't satisfied with this answer so I dug deeper. I contacted few of NVIDIA's OEM's asking them if they knew anything about detonator 5. So far, I got 2 direct responses.

The first OEM representative told me they have not heard of detonator 5 at all. However, they will be releasing a new driver based on 29.xx detonators shortly. I don't know what version though. Well, maybe that's just what they could tell me officially.

The 2nd OEM engineer has told me that they have not tested any nvidia drivers after 29.xx to date - and advised me not to try them (3x.xx) yet until they manage to test them on their hardware. If I do try them before that - its @ my own risk.

The 3rd OEM didn't tell me anything but I have a friend who is close to them and apparently they have tested detonator 3x.xx - probably since they will be releasing NV18 based motherboard and need drivers supporting the new chip. However, treat this as a weak rumor because I haven't received a response from this OEM directly.

I'm still waiting for more responses so I'll let you know if I find out anything more. However in my opinion, and you can form yours from all the rumors on the net, detonator 5 will not be released very soon but hopefully by the end of this month. I guess only time will tell...

Update #1 I just received word from my nVidia developer contact that 3x.xx drivers are not posted on nVidia's developer site yet. The latest drivers there are still 29.42. More bad news I guess :D

Guess you'll have to wait a little while...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back