New PC, runs then cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice that this thread is similar to one that already exists on this forum, but it does have some subtle differences so bear with me :wave:

Basically, I built a new machine with the parts I bought and fitted it all together today, for reference the machine is:

AMD 4000+ ClawHammer
Fata1ty Nforce 4 Ultra Mobo
2gb PC-3200 DDR Ram
300gb SATA 16mb Cache HD
Nvidia 7800 GTX 256mb

Anyway, booted it up and it ran fine. Set in the BIOS to boot from CDROM and patitioned my drive. When it got to 90% however on formatting this drive my PC lost all power. After this it wouldnt turn on. When I opened it up I found that the power was coming through and displaying the LED but when I pressed the power, the fan jerked and a few other lights came on for a few miliseconds but it was still dead. My prime suspect at the moment is the power supply but since its brand new I would expect it to last a bit longer than 50 minutes. Anyway, these are the things I have done so far:

1) Removed all unnecessary items from PC
2) Replaced GFX card + a RAM stick
3) Cleared the CMOS (this was really clutching at straws)

If you can offer any advice or help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If you are using the power supply that came with your case, it could very well be a faulty power supply. Power supplies that come with cases are generally not that great although there are exceptions. Also, just because any part is new is no guarantee it's ok.

What psu do you have? Man, that rig will need a killer powerful psu, that's about the most powerful pc you can get.

Its a Tagan 480W and it didnt come with the case. I was recommended it from the place where I bought the parts. Ah well, I suppose I should start with the long task of starting with the companies RMA system :(

Cheers anyway

Just in case, did you connect your power supply to the separate 2X2 connector on your motherboard? It's easy to overlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back