NEW PC WORKS but/ Hard drive mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowingnissan07

I AM SO FRIGGIN HAPPY I GOT MY NEW COMPUTER WORKING!!

You've probably heard about vader's dark experience with frying his motherboard, but he got a new one and it WORKS (the RAM and CPU are FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY!!!!! :giddy: :grinthumb :angel:

anyway, heres what i got.

3 Hard Drives. One is a 40.0 GB, another is 15.0 GB, and the last is a 3 GB.

THe 3 GB one contains all my past files and programs. Windows 98 upgrade is installed on it. the 15.0 GB is completely blank, no data on it at all, it came with my new PC. the 40.0 GB i had happened to come across, has some irrevelant data and things installed, but i just want to use it for the space it has. :)

ANYWAY, i set the 15 GB as my Master, the other two as slaves. I want to install WINDOWS 95 on it, and then upgrade it to '98. Afterwhich, I want to transfer my files/programs from the 3 GB, to the 15 GB. THEN, i want to clear all data from the 40 GB Hard disk, and then move my stuff there. I want my OS on the 15 GB one, and all games and documents and whatnot on the 40.0 GB hard disk.

Any ideas how to do that?

When i turned on my PC after setting the jumpers on the hard disks, the BIOS didnt recognize the 40.0 GB hard disk, and then it loaded Windows 98 off of the 3 GB one. I want to set it up so i can install Windows 95 (and eventually 98) onto the 15 GB one, so i can move my files from the 3 GB to the 15 GB and then to the 40 GB, but i cant do that without it recognizing my 40.0 Hard disk.

AND, while on Windows 98, on my 3 GB hard disk, under My Computer it does not list the other hard drives.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU

:darth:

You're digging yourself a deep hole. Windows 98 is no longer supported and so you will have a vunerable system. If you are going to use it then it should go straight on without messing with 95.

eh?

vulnerable to what?
NOT SUPPORTEd?

Eh?

Hey, my goal is to have XP, but i only have a 95 OS and a 98 upgrade. I need $100 for an XP upgrade.

once everything is finished, i jsut want to be able to access my old PC files using XP. and have a more than 18 GB of hard drive space.

Go to the website of the manufacturer, that made the 3GB harddisk.
They will have a transfer-utility for harddisk-contents.
Use that to transfer the 3GB onto the 15GB.
Read the instructions so that you can use the full 15GB right away.

Or use a disk-cloning application. Plenty around.

Then throw the 3GB in a dark drawer.

What Mobo are you using...Many old motherboards came with Bios'es that do not recognizes drives more than 32 GB.....

If your Mobo is from around 1999-2001, most probably that's what the issue is...you'll need to flash the BIOS and upgrade the BIOS to the latest version....
Another workaround is to use tools like DDO (Dynamic drive overlay) but I wouldn't advise you to do that......Just in case flashing the BIOS is not an option, yu can use DDO overlay by downloading and using the Seagate Disk Manager software from seagate's site,....

what about....

ok...so why cant i just unplugg the 3 GB and 40 GB IDE cables and connections (temporarily), just so ill be able to install the Windows and upgrades that follow onto the 15 GB. Then afterwards plug in the 3 GB and manually transfer the files i want?

and then of course upgrade my BIOS so i can use the 40 GB one. And uh, yea i have no idea what MOBO means. lol :monkey:

oh and more thing, once i get the damn thing to recognize the 40.0 GB hard drive, how will i clear all data from it so its just basically a huge blank disk to put stuff on it?

Remember i want my 15 GB to house my OS and temporary things, and thr 40.0 GB to house all documents games and blah blah blah.

PS. and yes, once im finished getting what i want out of that incredibly small hard disk, the 3GB hard drive will never see the light of day...again.

If your bios doesn't support large harddisks, or your mainboard manufacturer doesn't have a newer BIOS version available, and/or for some reason you're unwilling/unable to flash your BIOS, you can always use a disk manager software which will help your system to get over the HD size limits imposed by your BIOS. For instance, Ontrack Disk Manager (ask Google) comes to mind, or if your large drive was made by Western Digital, then WD Eazydrive could be your choice. Take care - Ontrack Disk Manager often is branded, i.e. it will only cooperate with the drive it came with originally. Eazydrive will only work with WD drives. Best to look at the website of your HD manufacturer whether he has something useful you can download.

Of course, using a disk manager software will open a new can of worms, possibly causing trouble at a later time. For example, it's not always easy to get rid of the things again when you don't need them any longer. Before you actually proceed along this path - when you don't know exactly what you're doing, I'd recommend you read a bit in the internet about HD management, partitioning, BIOS limitations and so on. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information.

Regards, Martin A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back