New power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to replace my two-year-old power supply and/or case to install an SLI motherboard with Pentium D?

chlorf said:
Do I need to replace my two-year-old power supply and/or case to install an SLI motherboard with Pentium D?
Power requirement for SLI slots RIGHT HERE, add 75W per slot to your supply calculation (3.3V => 6A more, 12V => 11A more).

I don't understand that, so I'll just get the cheapest 500W power supply I can find. That should be OK, right? Also, do I need a new case or cooling system?

Thanks,
Alex

Highly recommended that you do NOT get the cheapest power supply you find. It would be much better to get a high quality 400W (for example) over getting a cheap 500W. Cheap power supplies have to be one of the top problems people have, and causes strange system failures from an unbalance power distribution.

Thanks

Well then, to be safe I'll get the most expensive 600W power supply I find. But will the same old 3 fans and case meet my newly awesome system's requirements?

Depends. If your new motherboard is an ATX motherboard (which most SLI boards are, if not all...??), then you just have to be sure your case is also ATX capable.

Most SLI boards require ATX12V v2 compliance. Check that the PSU you purchase meets this requirement if your motherboard needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back