New Soundcard has problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkalsey

Basically, I went out today and bought some nice 2.1 speakers, and I thought to myself 'why not get a new soundcard'. MY old one was a Realtek AC97 one, which I know has had a lot of problems. I bought a PC Line 5.1 Channel Sound Card (model: PCL-SC5100). Went home, fitted it into a spare PCI slot. I didn't connect any wires for CD/DVD audio. I couldn't take out my old sound card because it was factory built, so it was onboard. I put it back together, and installed the drivers. After installing the drivers from the CD, it worked, much yayness. I restarted the computer as the setup asked me to, and when I did my computer didn't load up the logon screen. It just stayed black. Yikes. I loaded it in Safe Mode, uninstalled those drivers and restarted. It worked, but no sound was coming out. I put a song on, and I had this message come up (using Winamp ) Bad Directsound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code:8878000A

Yikes...

Well, this is my problem. Since, I've reinstalled and uninstalled the old drivers twice and it didn't work. Seeing as I had the other sound card still in, I tried installing the old drivers for the AC97, and it still doesn't work. I'm having a lot of trouble with this, please give us a hand guys. Thanks muchly. =D

EDIT: My specs, incase its too much trouble to go back and forth to my profile.
Intel P4 2.6GHz
512 DDR RAM
80GB HDD
ATi Radeon 9200SE

Old sound card: Realtek AC97
New sound card: PC Line 5.2 Channel Sound Card (model: PCL-SC5100)

And I've tried loading Everest/AIDA32 to try and find out the make and model of my motherboard, but under the Motherboard Name field it just reads Unknown. I dunno if I have a crappy Mobo, or if I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again guys.

I'm sorry you're having problems. It's a pain in the ****, isn't it? Assuming you already know that you have to disable onboard sound when installing a new sound card, I don't really have an idea for how to fix your sound problem, but noticed you mentioned not knowing what kind of mobo you have. You could try http://www.belarc.com, download the Belarc Advisor (it's on the downloads page, link is at the top in the middle of their homepage) Belarc doesn't keep or use any of your info. All you're doing is downloading a small program and it tells you what you have on your PC if it's identifiable. Belarc identified a few things that Windows couldn't. Good luck!

Wow, erm...its all the little things, isn't it? As a matter of fact, I didn't disable the factory sound card before installing the new one. As in, not physically removing it or making any software configurations. I'll have a looksee round Control Panel to see if I can figure it out, but I'd appreciate if someone could post a little guide on how to. Much appreciated, cheers guys.

EDIT: Sorry, I realised the term 'post a little guide' was a bit broad. Basically, if someone could explain on how to 'disable' an old sound card and 'activate' another one, I'd be very grateful. Thanks again.
I also tried runing the Belarc advisor, and after the program had run I was just greeted with a blank Internet Explorer page. IExplore has been very buggy on my system...

PS: Yeah, problems like this ARE a pain in the a***. :monkey: :knock:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you take a look at this post HERE. You will notice a link to the free Everest programme. It will give you lots of info about your system.

In order to disable your onboard sound, you will need to go into your bios.

Your mobo manual should tell you how to do this.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry, I don't know if I wasn't clear before but I'll just mention it again. I did try using programs such as AIDA32 and Everest to identify my mobo, but the fields read 'Unknown'. Sorry about that.

I'll see what I can do with the BIOS. A friend told me to explore that, but just didn't know what to do :knock: .

Cheers again guys. I just miss sound from my computer. I won't even hear this click....*clicky*

EDIT: I remembered from when I went into BIOS previoulsy, the top rerad something like 'Phoenix BIOS'. Dunno if thats the make or the software app. And I would've thought BIOS was a universal thing, so it would operate the same on every computer. I thought it was possible from the Control Panel. The interface is a lot less intimidating, if you know what I mean. =P

Once you get into bios, select the advanced tab, and look for peripheral configuration, or something like that. You will then be able to disable your onboard ac97 sound.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Ace! I'm about to do it in a mo. I just need to know, do I have to enable my new sound card while in BIOS, or will installing the new drivers from the CD solve that?

No you wont need to enable your new soundcard in bios. It should be automatically detected.

Go into control panel, add remove programmes and uninstall anything to do with ac97.

Now reboot your computer and go into bios. Find and disable the onboard ac97 sound.

Once you`ve finished in bios. Save and exit.

Once your computer has rebooted, shut down windows, and unplug your computer.

Now install you new soundcard into a pci slot.

Boot your computer and Windows may say found new hardware. Just cancel this, and install the drivers for your new soundcard from the cd.

Regards Howard

Umm, sorry to keep this problem dragging on, but it just isn't being solved. Nonetheless, I appreciate all you guys helping out and all your efforts.

In BIOS, I went to advanced, and the closest thing you'd get to a peripherals menu, seeing as there was only one in the advanced settings, and I had a screen like this. I had no idea what meant what.

I/O Device Configuration

Serial Port A: [Enabled]
Base I/O Address: [3F8]
Interrupt: [IRQ4]

Parrallel Port: [Enabled]
Mode: ECP
Base I/O Address: [378]
Interrupt: [IRQ7]
Data Channel: [DMA3]

I don't know if that means anything, or even if I'm in the right menu. Appreciate the efforts, guys. Thanks.

Mmm. Open your case, and look on the mobo to see if you can tell what model it is. This is usually printed on the mobo inbetween, or near to the pci slots.

If we could identify your mobo, it would help a great deal.

Regards Howard :)

After quite an indepth look, there was some writing on the bottom side of the mobo upside-down. it was in one line, I'll write it as it was.

Mat, NO: 143276 ALASKA3 20020814

There was also a barcode on a sticker stuck on the mobo. I dunno if it'd come in handy, but I'll put the number down anyway.

40001098-00133

Thats all I could find. Sorry if you're still at square one...

I`m afraid that doesn`t help any.

Looks like you`re going to have to search through your bios, or contact Emachines.

Regards Howard :cool:

Okies, thanks very much for all your efforts guys. I'll get back to you if I find the mobo manufacturer and model. Ciao.

In my vain attempts here, it appears my younger brother had found the original PC doccies, and lo...User's Mobo Guide! RAR! I had to blackmail him with cookies, but its here now.

Ok, here goes. Its a Intel AL845GE Motherboard. Hope that helps a bunch.

*fingers crossed*

Reading the guide, I've found what I'm looking for. There is a menu named 'Onboard Audio Options'. This in the guide, however. Once I load up BIOS, the menu is nowhere to be seen. The guide says there should be three menus, only one is present. I don't know what I can do about THIS problem. Help appreciated, thanks.

Good thread!

This could be very complicated being an E-machine,
I recently ran into a prob with one not giving me full access
to bios(non-intel). Ended up with a jumper on th MoBo
(kinda like clear cmos or flash jumper)
Howard is right you'll need to yank e-machine for the
how to on this one!
Unless of course some one reading this thread has done this already.

G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back