New To Forum, Friendly hello, slow pc issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

Hello, I am new to this forum, just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I have a pentium 2.6 gig currently overclocked to 3.2 gig, running win xp pro with 512K ram, 1 cd burner, 1 dvd burner, i 80gig hd and 1 200 gig HD partitioned to 100 gig each. will provide additional tech specs if anyone needs to know.

I download lots of stuff which I think is the main part of my problems, although I suspect that SP 2 may be part of it also, but havnt had lots of time to troubleshoot due to my work schedule.

spyware and addaware find nothing, nor does virus scan.

I also have issues with burning DVD's, got a program called Sonic My Dvd that lets me create DVD movies, and when it is loading, it takes forever to initilize, eventually it does, and works fine, but it hangs excessively, and goes to not responding for about 3-5 min before it will work, where before my problems started it would load instantly.

I have changed nothing since it worked to when i started having problems, except for installing a few programs, that I cannot remember, and I have reformated and reinstalled and still have the same effect, so I suspect that its either hardware related, or sp2 related, Havent installed without sp2 yet.

wondering if anyone else has experienced this or similar issue with sp2, or has any ideas for me. due to lack of time, trying to narrow down the posiblities so I dont waste what little time I have. thank you in advance.

P.S. My pc also shuts down way slower than normal, stays on saving your settings screen for a long time.

You say you have no spyware and viruses, so my next suggestion would be to try defraging, which could affect performance.

Very little HD space could be the prob on performance also. I have SP2 and a similar PC as u and I haven't experienced this problem.

Welcome to the forum to by the way :)

see anything suspicious?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:52:12 AM, on 6/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperServer\DKService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\P4\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanUp] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /cleanup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1054704544093
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperServer\DKService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

I seriously doubt that is my problem, I would think i would get all sorts of errors if i have a ram problem. all i get is slow loading burning software, and slow shutdowns. everything else seems to work fine, like games and such.

is there any way to tell what a svchost.exe is or does, since there are multiple instances of them, any way to break them down individually? is 24K ram for an svchost excessive? or normal? check yours ;)

svchost is windows file, handles processes from dll files, so it's normal. I don't know what else to tell you. What are you using for spyware removal?

spybot search and destroy, and addaware 6, but due to fact my problems arise from fresh install i think its SP2, or mayby my burner is going bad, taking it a while to refresh, i havnt tried disconecting my burner yet, but that is what im gonna do next i think.

actually, i lied, its hanging at Windows is shuting down, goes through saving changes part fast;) if it makes any diference, sorry bout that.

Well, if anyone cares, I did another format/reinstall and this time only installed SP1 and all other updates, but did NOT install SP2, and as I suspected, its working great now. so something in SP2 was causing my burning software to hang, and take forever to load. So if anyone is experiencing similar issues to mine, I recomend reinstalling windows and NOT installing SP2.

familiar story

Sounds so familiar in these forums. SP2 usually causes nothing but grief. Countless amount of suffering result from installing or upgrading to SP2.

Unless someone has a shotgun or Magnum pointed to your head, don't install it on your machine.

Yeah sp2 sucks balls, I have had no reall significant protection at all and it doesn't
really fix stuff it actually brakes more then fix things :giddy: .

anyway I can't go back to sp1 since some games need sp2 to run booooo :unch: .

but if your not a gamer, sp1 will do.

I personally disagree with SP2 being the culprit...if a system has existing problems than yes SP2 will sometimes make them worse or more frequent, but in my experience i've run across no systems that SP2 didn't like.
Keep in mind it is not only asecurity update, but a major OS update as well.

Have you tried any other burning software such as Nero ? ?

I also agree with the last post try running everything at the suggested clock speeds.

patio. :cool:

Ive tried about 5 diferent burning programs and all hang while initilizing, overclocking is not the issue here as it worked fine before i installed sp2, and it works fine after ive removed it.

So in short, the only diference between when it works and when it doesnt is the installation of sp2, which tells me that sp2 is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back