New video card, Stuttery media...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I've just bought myself a Tyan Tachyon Radeon 9600Pro and fitted it
into my machine. Since doing so, any form of media playback occasionally
'stutters'. This includes watching anything in media player, listening to
MP3's in winamp and even watching DVD's in WinDVD...

I'm led to believe it's the new card, because quite frankly this didn't
happen before with my previous graphics card, and i'd understand the mpeg
and dvd playback as they (presumeably) use the video card....but winamp?

anyway, please could anyone try to help me with this, i'll be so thankful

berg

I might know the solution to your problem. All non-intel chipsets (VIA,ALi,SiS,nVIDIA) require a custom GART (AGP) driver for proper operation of the video card. What its most likely doing is the card doesn't recognize the chipset you have so it blocks some AGP features that your video card may require to work right. Reference your motherboard manual for type of chipset you have and a link to get drivers for it. Other problem is if you uninstalled SMARTGART, this is a crucial driver component if you want to ensure your new card is working properly and to its fullest performance level. If you uninstalled this, reinstall your drivers to get it back. I think you may have forgotten to install your GART drivers for your motherboard. The other thing is if your motherboard is too old (RADEON 9600 PRO doesnt operate well in a AGP 1x or 2x mode which it will use if it cant find GART driver info on your chipset, this will cause the instability you may be having)
Post more info on your system and I will be able to help you further.

I think you basically want to know what motherboard i have. It's a 'Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra', which is relatively new and supports 8x AGP...

i would try and cooperate a little more but it's late, and i need some sleep, i'll check back tomorrow...

berg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back