Newbie with a ms office update question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... before y'all send me hate mail for posting in the wrong place... I apologize in advance. I couldn't figure out where I should post this so i'm just doing it here.
I have the little yellow shield in my taskbar that is telling me to do updates. However, when I do them, it stops midway and brings up the box that tells me:

The feature you are trying to use is on a cd rom or other removable disk that is not available.
Insert the "Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage" disk and click ok

Problem is, I did not purchase the disk but instead bought via a online download. How can I either get rid of the update shield or somehow figure out how to download the update?

Thanks in advance.

Kecia

Common Problem and not your fault. But could be worrisome if you no longer have the disc. Microsoft apparently wanted to irritate all its users, so they made it necessary for ALL users to have their original disc available to perform updates. You will need it for any updates of Microsoft Office 97, Office 2000 Professional, Small Business, Academic, or Upgrade, Office 2003 Professional, Academic, or Small Business and so on. I don't remember if they require it for Office 2007... but probably they do.
If you are using an illegal copy, Microsoft will not say anything to you, unless is it a widely copied disc.
Bottom line. You need that original Install Disc 1 and 2, or you will not get the updates. You do NOT need to remember your product ID number, but you cannot use a disc other than the one you originally used to install the program... Microsoft was way ahead of you and figgered out what you might do, so be sure you have the correct disc set... it doesn't have to be the exact same disc, but must be the exact same version.
The updates are critical so do not go without them if you are a full Office user.

Since you do not have the disc, and you used a download, and it has Frontpage, you are probably screwed and will have to do without the update.
If you downloaded from a Valid Microsoft Download Site, Call Microsoft and ask they what to do.

This is a perfectly fine question.

Usually, most companies charge an extra fee to courrier a CD to you. Check with Microsoft how to order the CD. Or ask them how to workaround the problem.

Microsoft has a solution if you have a valid download. I just called them. They said downloads were rare, but sometimes done for certain academic locations. They can tell by looking at the install from whence it came. The download on your computer is coded in such a way that they can verify it. If you bought the download at a significantly reduced price, or from an unauthorized site, you are not going to get it done. Microsoft says they you still would have had a certificate of authenticity in one form or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back