Newbie with big problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, let me say Hi to all of you people.

Can you please excuse my directness.

I was asked yesterday to look at my friends computer. He said it was slow.
I have had a look at it, and I think he has some big problems.
My friend has a child with a rare disease called Ring14 syndrome. It is a genetic disorder that affects the chromosome 14, causing fits, blackouts, extreme learning difficulties. He and his wife no nothing of PC's but are organizing a seminar in the UK this year and need their computer very much.
This is where I hope you guys can help me.

I know the PC is infected with malware, but there are also problems that I don't know how to fix. The control panel will not show on any menus. Display settings cannot be changed due to computer restrictions, add/remove programs will not load due to the same computre restrictions. The all thing seems in a right state, and I do not know where to start.

Please can you point me in the right direction?

Virgil

What computer restrictions are you talking about?
As for your problem, you could try installing AVG Antivirus or the NOD32 trial and try to clean it out but that'd take a lot of time. If you're willing to do that though, it's the best choice. Just make sure that you use multiple antivirus programs like AVG Free, Avast! and the NOD32 trial if you need it to scan and remove all the junk in the computer. Then install AVG Anti-Spyware and Ad-Aware Personal and scan the computer to remove any spyware. You'll find all the aforementioned programs via a simple Google search or by getting them from www.download.com.
If you're not even able to install the programs, then try to transfer all the necessary data from the PC to a portable disk or burn it to a CD/DVD if possible, and then format the HDD and re-install Windows. After this, install the AV programs as mentioned before and copy the stuff from the CD\DVD\portable drive to the PC's HDD and scan that to remove any infections. Do not copy the data before installing the AV programs since this will take you back to square one.
I'm no expert on this but these are the best options for you IMO. Others may be able to help you better though, so wait a bit for more replies.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s see if we can get rid of the malware.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of virgil only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks.
I have leant my friend my PC for the time being. I will follow your instructions and get back in a few days, thanks.

Virgil

Bad news I'm afraid.

I decided to do a factory restore. However, the page just froze with no mouse or keyboard actions possible. After trying this 3 times I lost power input completely. Now I have a power light on but nothing else.

I have an expert coming to look tomorrow, i'll let you know his findings.

I`m real sorry to hear of your problems.

I hope you manage to sort things out and would appreciate any feedback you have.

Good luck.

Regards Howard :)

Hi.
The tech guy came. Initially thought the graphics card was dead. Substituted for one of his. Became apparent that the card was not dead but had been turned of in the BIOS, so had the USB support. He said it could have been down to the infection. Anyway, took the PC away, cleaned it out and reinstalled XP and AVG. Returned the PC to my house all for the princley sum of £30. What a gent!
If you live in Bristol UK I can definitely recommend his services.

Thanks for your help guys.

Virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back