Nintendo profits jump 500 percent on soaring Switch sales

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo on Thursday reported impressive earnings for its latest fiscal year, one that saw the company sell more than 15 million Switch consoles (bringing the total to 17.79 million). By comparison, Nintendo sold just 13.56 million Wii U consoles during a five-year span.

During the most recent fiscal year, Nintendo’s top-selling game was Super Mario Odyssey which sold 10.41 million units (more than half of all Switch owners bought the game) followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 9.22 million units sold and Splatoon 2 at 6.02 million copies moved. When adding in games from other publishers, there are now a dozen Switch games that have sold more than a million copies.

Also worth noting is the fact that Nintendo has sold more than five million SNES Classic Editions, the retro-inspired miniature console that’s still next to impossible to find in stores.

As for earnings, Nintendo brought in 178 billion yen ($1.62 billion) in operating profit, a massive increase of 505 percent over the previous 12-month period. Revenue, meanwhile, soared by 116 percent to 1.06 trillion yen ($9.66 billion).

Nintendo’s financial report was accompanied by news that CEO Tatsumi Kimishima, the man who stepped in to replace the beloved Satoru Iwata after his passing in mid-2015, will retire on June 28. He is being replaced by Shuntaro Furukawa, a board member that is 22 years younger than Kimishima. Furukawa is a product of the Family Computer (NES) era and joined Nintendo in 1994.

Permalink to story.

And Nintendo added loot boxes to Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp... who knows if that had anything to do with the revenue. Most likely not since it happened fairly recent. XD

Aaaaaand Nintendo does it again! Nintendo has always done great despite people loving to ignore/hate it's products now-a-days. Every unique idea they have gets ripped off by the others. People initially hated the motion-tracked controllers on the Wii when it was announced, now every console has some version of the same idea. Now they'll somehow steal the "tablet" style of the Switch. Watch it happen!

Aaaaaand Nintendo does it again! Nintendo has always done great despite people loving to ignore/hate it's products now-a-days. Every unique idea they have gets ripped off by the others. People initially hated the motion-tracked controllers on the Wii when it was announced, now every console has some version of the same idea. Now they'll somehow steal the "tablet" style of the Switch. Watch it happen!

People did not hate the Wii controllers when they first came out and every console most certainly doesn't have "some version of the same idea". That's completely false. Stop trying to paint Nintendo as a victim, they are not.

Also, people can't "steal" Nintendo's tablet because there are already hundreds of other tablets on the market. You can't steal something from someone they didn't make. Nintendo is the only one with the first party games to make any system they make work.

People did not hate the Wii controllers when they first came out and every console most certainly doesn't have "some version of the same idea". That's completely false. Stop trying to paint Nintendo as a victim, they are not.

Also, people can't "steal" Nintendo's tablet because there are already hundreds of other tablets on the market. You can't steal something from someone they didn't make. Nintendo is the only one with the first party games to make any system they make work.

Are you just arguing just to argue?

Nintendo Wii released 2006 and yes, there were tons of people all over the internet criticizing Nintendo for making such a stupid design for a controller. Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect both released in 2010. Sure as heck seems like 4 years is a good amount of time to design a new product from scratch and release it but I'm sure it's just coincidence...

Also, I obviously am referring to a gaming console in the form of a dockable tablet, not just that it's a tablet. Of course tablets are everywhere. *sigh* ::rolls eyes::

Are you just arguing just to argue?

Nintendo Wii released 2006 and yes, there were tons of people all over the internet criticizing Nintendo for making such a stupid design for a controller. Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect both released in 2010. Sure as heck seems like 4 years is a good amount of time to design a new product from scratch and release it but I'm sure it's just coincidence...

Also, I obviously am referring to a gaming console in the form of a dockable tablet, not just that it's a tablet. Of course tablets are everywhere. *sigh* ::rolls eyes::

How about this, backup your claim of "there were tons of people all over the internet criticizing Nintendo for making such a stupid design for a controller" with proof and then I might start believing it. Otherwise it's conjecture. I personally think you saw a handful of people back in the day criticizing it and took it to mean everyone was doing it and now you are in defensive mode. Take the goggles off.

Xbox Kinect is a Camera that detects motion. How exactly is that similar to the Wii Controllers? What, does anything dealing with motion have to be pre-approved by Nintendo now? Ditto goes for the move, which is also a Camera based solution. These technologies have more in common with MoCap than they do with the Wii Controllers, which use a very simplistic IR sensor.

The switch most certainly not the first gaming tablet. Being dockable has nothing to do with it's core functionality. Many other gaming tablets can hook up to the TV just like it and they did that before the Switch even came out. The Switch sells because it has 1st party games.

How about this, backup your claim of "there were tons of people all over the internet criticizing Nintendo for making such a stupid design for a controller" with proof and then I might start believing it. Otherwise it's conjecture. I personally think you saw a handful of people back in the day criticizing it and took it to mean everyone was doing it and now you are in defensive mode. Take the goggles off.

Xbox Kinect is a Camera that detects motion. How exactly is that similar to the Wii Controllers? What, does anything dealing with motion have to be pre-approved by Nintendo now? Ditto goes for the move, which is also a Camera based solution. These technologies have more in common with MoCap than they do with the Wii Controllers, which use a very simplistic IR sensor.

The switch most certainly not the first gaming tablet. Being dockable has nothing to do with it's core functionality. Many other gaming tablets can hook up to the TV just like it and they did that before the Switch even came out. The Switch sells because it has 1st party games.

I really shouldn't even take the (continued) bait but...

You seriously want me to try to find 12 year old rants from people for proof for you? I've been in the tech business for a long time and have always followed tech-related news. I remember this well because I also ONLY have had and support Nintendo consoles.

Also, your telling me you see no connection whatsoever for gaming consoles that have equipment that requires and/or encourages you to actually move while playing games? Prior to Nintendo's Wii, there really weren't any sensor equipment like this. Regardless of method, there was nothing before, then Nintendo had the idea, then later both Microsoft and Sony created products that encourage motion. Yes, legally they can and I'm not saying they couldn't. I'm simply pointing out they obviously got the idea from Nintendo's revolutionary idea that was a money maker.

I'm not even going to bother with your "whoop-de-doo this is common" comment on the switch just being another gaming tablet. You are just proving my point. It's unique, your not impressed, yet the idea will be taken by others soon. It's not just a gaming tablet, it's a gaming console that is unlike the current competition.

The Game cube did poorly, I remember them practically giving them away in 2003. N64 also did fairly average when compared to PS1. Sorry but Nintendo does Handheld gaming right which is why the Switch works, wait until Pokémon comes into switch and the sales will be insane.

I really shouldn't even take the (continued) bait but...

You seriously want me to try to find 12 year old rants from people for proof for you? I've been in the tech business for a long time and have always followed tech-related news. I remember this well because I also ONLY have had and support Nintendo consoles.

Also, your telling me you see no connection whatsoever for gaming consoles that have equipment that requires and/or encourages you to actually move while playing games? Prior to Nintendo's Wii, there really weren't any sensor equipment like this. Regardless of method, there was nothing before, then Nintendo had the idea, then later both Microsoft and Sony created products that encourage motion. Yes, legally they can and I'm not saying they couldn't. I'm simply pointing out they obviously got the idea from Nintendo's revolutionary idea that was a money maker.

I'm not even going to bother with your "whoop-de-doo this is common" comment on the switch just being another gaming tablet. You are just proving my point. It's unique, your not impressed, yet the idea will be taken by others soon. It's not just a gaming tablet, it's a gaming console that is unlike the current competition.

Um, Nintendo used existing technology to make their wii motes. They use an accelerometer for tilt and IR sensors for position. Both of these technologies were well established at the time and you could even purchase Air Mice / presenters at the time using the same or better technology. Nintendo was the first console maker to use it, that's about it. Also "Nintendo's revolutionary idea"? Really? The Wii was great but in no way revolutionary. Revolutionary would suggest that it's way was the way of the future, yet even Nintendo has largely put motion controls in the backseat. VR has done more for moving while gaming than the Wii has ever done.

"You seriously want me to try to find 12 year old rants from people for proof for you? I've been in the tech business for a long time and have always followed tech-related news. I remember this well because I also ONLY have had and support Nintendo consoles."

Right here is you admitting to have a bias towards Nintendo products. This is something you should mention right off the bat. You purchase and support only Nintendo consoles, you are obviously biased and should take that into consideration when posting. And yes, I do want proof. Do you expect me to just take your word for it when you just admitted you only buy Nintendo? Yeah, no.

Yeah, the switch is unlike other gaming tablets in that it has Nintendo games. Name something else unique about it besides the 2 hour battery life and performance below that of my Nvidia Tegra tablet.

Every time I see an article about nintendo doing good I feel like living on another planet since at my location (eastern europe) nintendo is nowhere to be seen and never comes up as a topic among local gamers. Maybe I'm in the wrong age group, but I never knew someone who owned a nintendo, nor I ever notice it in the tech shops at the same time when the shelves are full of sony and microsoft consoles.

Every time I see an article about nintendo doing good I feel like living on another planet since at my location (eastern europe) nintendo is nowhere to be seen and never comes up as a topic among local gamers. Maybe I'm in the wrong age group, but I never knew someone who owned a nintendo, nor I ever notice it in the tech shops at the same time when the shelves are full of sony and microsoft consoles.

It varies from region to region really. The world has so many people nowadays that a console can sell million and you could rarely see one. The PS Vita is a good example of that as well. Very popular in Japan but not at all in the USA.

I definitely think its an age thing, As a child I was in the years 8 to 13 bracket when I had my Snes and Game Boy, I loved the gameplay... so much more than I did with the Sega or Playstation that always felt to be aimed at older teenagers.

Even now I look at the Switch and It feels like it's aimed at younger audiences. A colleague of mine bought a switch just so he could play through the new Zelda title, then he sold the system and bought himself a tablet to play Fallout Shelter.

The switch seems to be holding its resale value too. This could be another reason the console is doing so well. You can buy one, play your favourite game and still sell the system for almost the same price you bought it for.

Um, Nintendo used existing technology to make their wii motes. They use an accelerometer for tilt and IR sensors for position. Both of these technologies were well established at the time and you could even purchase Air Mice / presenters at the time using the same or better technology. Nintendo was the first console maker to use it, that's about it. Also "Nintendo's revolutionary idea"? Really? The Wii was great but in no way revolutionary. Revolutionary would suggest that it's way was the way of the future, yet even Nintendo has largely put motion controls in the backseat. VR has done more for moving while gaming than the Wii has ever done.

"You seriously want me to try to find 12 year old rants from people for proof for you? I've been in the tech business for a long time and have always followed tech-related news. I remember this well because I also ONLY have had and support Nintendo consoles."

Right here is you admitting to have a bias towards Nintendo products. This is something you should mention right off the bat. You purchase and support only Nintendo consoles, you are obviously biased and should take that into consideration when posting. And yes, I do want proof. Do you expect me to just take your word for it when you just admitted you only buy Nintendo? Yeah, no.

Yeah, the switch is unlike other gaming tablets in that it has Nintendo games. Name something else unique about it besides the 2 hour battery life and performance below that of my Nvidia Tegra tablet.

I mentioned Nintendo was the first to encourage movement in games which is true, you point out the technology itself has been here the whole time used in other products/ways. What does that have to do with my point? This was the first time used for VIDEO GAMES.

Also, why would a bias for Nintendo bother you on a topic ABOUT Nintendo. My original post was, Nintendo had an idea, others copied it soon after. If anything, my bias would mean I'm more knowledgeable on the topic.

Name one thing unique? I didn't know you could attach your gaming-console controller directly onto your Nvidia Tegra tablet or any other tablet without dangling cords or batteries. Awesome! Send me a pic how that works for you.

I'm done arguing with you. Your just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll let you have the last word since you so obviously want it. You can't hold a debate without muddying the waters any way you can.

Last edited:
The Game cube did poorly, I remember them practically giving them away in 2003. N64 also did fairly average when compared to PS1. Sorry but Nintendo does Handheld gaming right which is why the Switch works, wait until Pokémon comes into switch and the sales will be insane.
I know the N64 sales were sub par but remember it's also when Sony entered the video game console industry so they took a lot of customers being "the new shiny toy". They sold more than 3 times the N64. I also heard the PS2 was the best-selling gaming system of all time which is impressive. The Gamecube didn't stand a chance there. I think also people look at Nintendo as a brand for younger kids, where people saw the PS as video games for adults too which was a smart marketing move for Sony.

I mentioned Nintendo was the first to encourage movement in games which is true, you point out the technology itself has been here the whole time used in other products/ways. What does that have to do with my point? This was the first time used for VIDEO GAMES.

Also, why would a bias for Nintendo bother you on a topic ABOUT Nintendo. My original post was, Nintendo had an idea, others copied it soon after. If anything, my bias would mean I'm more knowledgeable on the topic.

Name one thing unique? I didn't know you could attach your gaming-console controller directly onto your Nvidia Tegra tablet or any other tablet without dangling cords or batteries. Awesome! Send me a pic how that works for you.

I'm done arguing with you. Your just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'll let you have the last word since you so obviously want it. You can't hold a debate without muddying the waters any way you can.

"If anything, my bias would mean I'm more knowledgeable on the topic."

Bias and knowledge are two different things and in fact often do not come in pairs. The fact that you can confuse the two is very worrying.

"I didn't know you could attach your gaming-console controller directly onto your Nvidia Tegra tablet or any other tablet without dangling cords or batteries"

You do realize there are a ton of wireless controllers for tablets right? You can get them for as little as $8 bucks. It's not like Bluetooth is a new invention. Heck even the original Wii used Bluetooth. You should have probably popped onto Amazon and taken a look before making a statement like this. I guess for people like you who've never gone beyond the Nintendo ecosystem wireless controllers are something amazing but in fact they've been around for some time now.

"This was the first time used for VIDEO GAMES."

Nintendo was most certainly not the first to use motion controls in video games, they are just the first to have a hugely popular product based off it. Stop giving credit where credit isn't due.

I know the N64 sales were sub par but remember it's also when Sony entered the video game console industry so they took a lot of customers being "the new shiny toy". They sold more than 3 times the N64. I also heard the PS2 was the best-selling gaming system of all time which is impressive. The Gamecube didn't stand a chance there. I think also people look at Nintendo as a brand for younger kids, where people saw the PS as video games for adults too which was a smart marketing move for Sony.

The N64 had excellent games but so did the PS1. It's kind of weak to write off the PS1's victory as simply "it's new". The PS1 had better graphics, better controllers, and a more diverse stable of games. It would have sold more simply because Nintendo didn't have enough games appealing to all audiences. The GameCube was in the same boat. Nintendo does best when it brings out the kid in every Adult, which it did with the Wii and does (to a lesser extent) the switch. The Switch IMO isn't as good as the Wii. The Wii provided an experience no other console could. The switch on the otherhand is a compromise between a console and a handheld for those who need to take their games with them. Otherwise you might as well just rent a switch, play the handful of good games, and bring it back.

Back