Nintendo turned down Project Natal technology in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a CVG source, Nintendo turned down the device that became Microsoft's Project Natal. Israel company 3DV Systems reportedly showed the technology to Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata and other execs toward the end of 2007, but Iwata wasn't convinced Nintendo could sell it at the right price-point. There was also concern about latency during gameplay. Microsoft later purchased the technology and its creator, eventually revealing Project Natal at E3 2009.

The unnamed insider said, "Honestly - I've heard Iwata describe the prototype he saw at length, and it's definitely Natal… What we witnessed at E3 was smaller and the facial [reading] stuff had improved, but it's the same technology. We remain unconvinced Natal will deliver on the more sophisticated elements of what Microsoft is promising at the price they're aiming for."

CVG notes that the cost issues fit with Microsoft's recent decision to remove a chip from Natal to save on research and development expenses. Neither Nintendo or Microsoft responded to the site's request for a comment.

Permalink to story.

Natal might be good for other purposes, but not for Gaming. Nintendo saw this; what Microsoft wants to accomplish with Natal is just too impractical gamers. Not saying it won't sell, but it won't change anything on consoles, controllers will always be dominant and preferable.

Don't think its meant for gaming in the typical sense Guest. And I don't think it'll be marketed with emphasis on gaming improvement in normal games. Because honestly I don't think we are technologically their yet not need a controller of some form. It'll be interesting to see though how they do it and if consumers will jump aboard. Nevertheless the Natal does have a lot of potential in a casual sense imo.

Oh yeah, Nintendo? I remain unconvinced that the Wii is capable of pushing out a double digit list of games that don't suck. Also that your own motion controller isn't also a gimmick.

Really I'm glad Nintendo didn't, now that MS has it we'll be seeing it on the PC some time after it's 360 depute.

From what I've seen Natal could become a nice alternative for thous of us who like touch screen stuff, but not the fingerprints, and want to work in 3D not just a 2D surface.

I think they made the right choice. People bought the WII because it was cheap and fun. Adding something that would increase it's price a lot would have been counter-productive.
Besides, i'm also skeptic about how well it will perform on the xbox.

hello ...

i may not have an Xbox360 & don't intend on getting one (i'm a PC & PS3 gamer) .. i would love to see this technology a la Johnny Mnemonic on my PC & future tellys ...

i'm much hype about MS surface than natal ...but hey i want to see what it gives

cheers!

If you look carefully at all the public material it seems that the 3DV technology is no longer going to be used. The current info is that Natal is based on a projected infra red pattern and a mono camera.
-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back