No audio on XP after hardware changes, what drivers do I need?

hellsbel

This is probably a piece of cake for you guys, but this one is killing me. One of my computers (not used very often, located in my parent's house) doesn't seem to have audio. My sister's friend claimed to have changed some hardware, including motherboard. I got the computer in my hands and tried to make it work, no luck. It was filled with crap so I decided it is a better option to format it. (Although the sound was not working before formatting the local disc either.)
After several days of desperation I'm not even sure if I have an on-board audio on this computer anymore, even if Everest proves me wrong. I got rid of the no audio device problem by installing realtek ac97. But what next? What audio codecs etc do i need to install in order to get my sound back?
Everything seems to be working, nothing is muted, there are no conflicts in device manager and onboard audio is enabled in BIOS. Also ran intel and windows update driver update detection.
Do you think it is one of the audio drivers problems, too? If yes, then how to solve it? I'm going nuts here without sound!

& Everest told me that my motherboard is MSI 848P Neo-V (MS-6788)

and I can't open up the computer to search for model numbers (in order to google them and find drivers) so could you please not suggest that!

a moment ago I read other similar problems in the very same forum and one of them told me to go to msinfo32 in run. frankly, it won't launch. could it be a part of the problem?

oh i have installed everything from the motherboard manufacturer site meant for xp (i probably forgot to mention i am running xp pro). no go.

i have also tried a lot programs to detect outdated drivers, and there are a few, but none of the programs allow me to actually update them without product activation. unluckily, i do not own a credit card to pay and neither does anybody i know (welcome to estonia hooray). but if you do know a freeware with abovementioned purpose, then please help the poor girl out!

driver update from msi does not seem to work, just sayin!

Go into BIOS and look through all BIOS menu pages. See if something like onboard audio appears anywhere and make sure it's not DISABLED

As I said in the first post of the thread, I've been to bios several times and onboard audio is set to auto like it should : (

As I said in the first post of the thread, I've been to bios several times and onboard audio is set to auto like it should : (
Sorry, i missed the fact about BIOS when i first skimmed the thread.

Re: msinfo32 problem, can also happen if a problem with Windows subsystem called "PC Health" (not related to audio). Do you have your XP install CDs (you need them to reinstall PC Health)

As to your audio problem List any Problem Devices
/* edit */ OOps. of course you can't do this step because of msinfo32! just skip to dxdiag for now */ end edit */
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Here ya go!

I just noticed I missed a driver from the msi homepage. I did download it, but apparently I suck too hard to know how to install a driver what lies in a folder and consists only system files. although the dxdiag says I already have it. my head is seriously going to explode.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_00801462&REV_02
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6300 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 9/24/2008 10:40:22, 4122368 bytes
Well, at least some good news to start
1. Your onboard sound card IS being dected (That's the Hardware ID " PCI\" string thingy shown above)

2. And Windows DOES believe the Realtek driver (v5.10.000.6300) is installed and working

I'll take a look at rest sometime later or tomorrow when i have the chance

In the meantime, are you sure the audio jacks are working?
> Is there an internal speaker?
> Click Start->Run, enter services.msc scroll down to Windows Audio, does it show its Status= Started?

/* edit */
Also try reinsalling PCHealth (instruction in post #7). See if msinfo32 will work for a Problem Device report too

<snip> i did download it, but apparently i suck too hard to know how to install a driver what lies in a folder and consists only system files. although the dxdiag says i already have it. my head is seriously going to explode.

No prob. And I skim threads/posts too quick sometimes :stickout: But i just caught what you also said about installing a driver folder with only system files.

When all you see is a driver folder with system files, take a read here: See [post=1094585]How to Install a Driver when there's no Installation .EXE file to run[/post] :)

/* EDIT */
And i'd try installing the download in any case. Sometimes
> It might be an updated version of the driver and/or
> May be a hardware specific driver that will replace a Windows generic driver that gets used if no h/w specific driver is otherwise found

my computer decided that the previous driver was more compatible, i am not sure if i see a point in uninstalling/installing.
windows audio is started, at least two days ago it was haha.
there are no internal speakers and the last time i used the computer the sound was.. well, existing.

and thank you for the advice on installing drivers without .exe to run, this might really come in handy : )

i have reached to the point where most of the attempts for re-establishing the sound are meant to fail. well, every attempt to be exact.
anyway i tried to go to the msinfo32 to check the probable device conflicts, but it will not launch, neither does help and support (tried in run and folders). When running sfc /scannow there is a tab about windows file protection which will stop when halfway loaded. Dougknox registry something is not helping. Also installed a new msinfo32 information file from the installation disk, i did reboot after that, but still no effect. Adding %1 in run makes no difference.

<snip>i tried to go to the msinfo32 to check the probable device conflicts, but it will not launch, neither does help and support (tried in run and folders)
The symptoms you mention in the quote above point to reinstall "PCHealth". Look back at post #7 in this thread. Did you try that method?

Re: audio

Yea...I'm also thinking audio jack is broken (I assume you've already tested the cables and speakers to know if they work?). You've done the other typical stuff to make sure not muted? volume levels up? Also see [post=1002891]Guide to Troubleshooting Windows Audio and Sound Problems[/post]. Scroll down to Tips section and see if any apply (like just testing the windows system sounds)

Otherwise... looks like audio jack hardware problem. I'm not really a h/w guy in which case you may be best start a new thread with a title something like "How can I repair the audio jacks on my PC"

in worst case, google USB sound card. There are many inexpensive USB sound cards available too, if need be

Good luck :)

OH!

One more thing, fyi for the future: Try DriverIdentifier as a truly free tool to search for drivers BUT note its driver downloads are slow (but still, slow downloads aren't a bad price to pay for an otherwise "free" tool :D)

But i'd also add:
1. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's not always wise to try to update every driver just because one is found
2. Always create a System Restore point before trying a new driver, just in case things go awry!

Back