NO CABLE SIGNAL - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Firstly I would like to say I have used the search facility and it wasnt really giving me answers specific to what im looking for

I have a system, which up until around 3 months ago was working fine.... And then one day it decided enough was enough and it wouldnt boot up for me. I got power but just nothing appeared on the screen!

Very Annoying!

I had since gone out and purchased a new one. I have some time off work at the moment and Ive made it number 1 Priority to get it back up and running hopefully!!

Ive been searching google to no avail and fortunately came upon this site... Im hoping you can help me out so here goes

The system itself as I say lights up. I have 3 leds on my case.

HDD
TURBO
POWER

When I switch it on I get the power LED on okay and you can hear the fan whizzing away as normal. The hdd lights up in red also...

I have chenged the hard drive this morning for a brand new one and again the same still so the hard drive isnt at fault Im assuming

The monitor just sits in like a standby mode...

It has power and an orange light shows. normally it starts on orange and as the system boots up it turns to green and the monitor displays...

this isnt happening. It just sticks on the orange standby type mode

I then decided to test the monitor... I took my new monitor off the system im using right now and connected it to the one that wont switch on. The monitor displayed

MONITOR WORKING

CHECK SIGNAL CABLE

the pins look okay on the connection

But I am very un-sure as to where to go from here. Ive hit a wall and not going any where fast?

Any diagnostics I can try Or anything I can check?

Looking for advice or a solution if anyone has been in my siutation before?

Is the VGA properly seated in the slot ( AGP or PCI ) ?

& if it's an AGP card & it is well seated, try pluggin in a PCI card & connecting the monitor to that one. It could also be that your VGA card is shot & needs to be replaced.:dead:

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Looks like a vid card or power management problem. You should try the system with another video card. Clearing the CMOS memory should take care of possible misconfigurations there. What happens when you leave the power on? Does it look like the machine is booting Windows or does it hang?

WOW... now im scared....
Too much tech spiel there ;) hehe

I will check the card now

*trondles off checks card and comes back*

PCI - It has a label on that says

SPARKLE 32MB "PCI" TNT2 M64

Ive removed and cleaned contacts refitted tested....and still no response to the actual boot up

See if you can locate a jumper on the board that has the mention "CLearCMOS" or something similar. You generaly have a small drawing or a table showing how to set the jumper for it to be on or off.

Unplug the machine. Set the jumper to on. Wait a minute then set it back to off then plug the machine & turn it on again.

^^ @ Nodsu. It just hangs it switches on and then you get the feeling it will boot - and then nothing as per your above post its like its hanging and wont go anywhere....

I dont actually have a video card spare without opening the current pc im on which I dont fancy doing. I have tendencies to break things that dont need fixing if you get my drift..

Im trying to explore all options without spending money, Or ill end up with a box of components I have bought to test with ;) that didnt make a difference

you mention cmos memory? how is this cleared? Is this done automatically when a new video card is inserted?

Your replies are much appreciated

Sorry if i sound thick this is all new to me

like a jumper on a harddrive?

Im looking at the pci board - this is the board you mean didou?

I dont have any obvious diagrams that are staring me in the face... I do however have

2 rows of 13 pins each that a jumper would fit on but there is no jumper on it at all :(

No, it's a jumper on the mainboard, I'll try to get a picture of it.

This is how to do it on my board ( a7n8x ).

clearcmos.png

*Edit* Image added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back