no display adapters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi peeps i just joined cos i found a lot of questions and problems get solved on these here boards so i do hope someone can help!! Basically my device manager isn't recognizing that i have any graphics hardware installed at all, its not even in the list at all! I recently bought an Nvidia fx 5200 to spruce my 'getting on a bit' PC which worked fine a couple of days ago untill i decided to play around with getting some better drivers to get more games to work on it. Basically i followd the set instuctions about completely removing the old ones before putting the new ones on, but when i went to install new ones, computer no longer seems to recognize it after restart or now even the on-board graphics which i know work fine cos im using it now! (Intel chip-set) It even states it in Display>Settings that im using it! This is such a confusing problem i don't even know where to begin! I have tried uninstalling and even removing the fx 5200 physically thinking i cud at least start again with standard vga generic driver but no such luck..!? Any advice on this issue or if anyones heard of this problem b4 would be much appreciated as im stuk with old intel graphics at mo! :confused: :(

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

If you go to Device Manager and select "Show hidden devices" from View menu, do they appear?

Does "vga" exist in non-plugandplay devices?

Do they appear if you right-click there and select "Scan for hardware changes"?

Thanx for quick response!

But, no, no and no im afraid!

Tried the hidden devices thing before, vga is not listed in non plug n play and makes no difference when scan for changes..!

Are you sure you've got the proper drivers for your card? Have you tried a re-install of the drivers or removed and re-inserted your card?

Resolution! (sort-of!)

it's ok, thanx for any help that people gave but against my better judgment in the first place it was in fact an issue with M$ SP2. It is known but at the moment a very rare occurance. So much so that information on it i believe has not been publicly released by M$.. at least not on their website. This is probably because they are not completely sure yet why it happens yet! It basically means that after SP2 installation, the display adaptors, mouse and network adapters sections on device manager do not appear anymore. Even though they may appear to still be installed on your system (ie you can still you use them), if you then try for example to uninstall the drivers to update them, the computer will no longer recognize said hardware, thus be useless (ie will not activate new hardware wizard on start-up). As you can imagine, theres as yet no sure-fire method to resolving this except straight from my sources (which i have tried and tested to get it working), you may try to use system restore to a point before SP2 was installed, and THEN find the uninstall program for it in your %windir% folder to remove all files put in its place. (also driver/cab cleaner is usefull). After restart however, just about all hardware ever attached to your system will be re-recognized again, so its just a matter of telling it which you are now not using and getting the old driver CD's for those that you are.

This is was just meant as an informative guide for those who may be interested in how i got it sorted! Thanx again for anyone who read this post! :) :grinthumb :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back