No Internet access, can't access antivirus program

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfutcher

I was on a website and realtime protection suddenly had 10 alerts. I hit quarantine for almost all but must have missed one. I hit halt internet traffic and now can’t access the internet. Everything froze and then the computer shutdown. Wireless laptop connected to router and that I can log on with. PC is Dell with XP. When I restarted the computer, I got a message saying that the computer was being shut down in 60 seconds and to save work. I cannot access the Trend Micro to run the scanner even when I try safe mode. Now I am getting messages that say securtiy center alert and want me to enalbe protection but I'm afraid to click that because it may be more viruses. I am currently trying a sysclean that Trend Micro had sent me beofre to see if that helps. Would really like some help as Trend Micro is closed until Monday. If I try system restore would I be able to access the internet and does it remove and files . Thanks, Sharon

Sharon,
try a system restore. If it works you will only have to reinstall the Windows Updates... Hopefully you can perform a system restore :(

Sharon, you may need to reset your router.

Start> Run> type cmd> enter> at the C prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (note space before the /)

Exit the Command prompt when finished and shut the system down.-

• [1]. Shut down your computer, and any other computer connected to your router.
    [2]. On the back of the router, there should be a small hole or button labelled RESET. Using a bent paper clip or similar item, hold that in continuously for twenty seconds.
    [3]. Unplug the router. Wait sixty seconds.
    [4].Now holding again the reset button, plug it back in. Continue holding the reset button for twenty seconds. Unplug the router again.
    [5].With the router unplugged, start your computer.
    [6].Connect to the router again. Then turn the router back on.
    [7].When it stabilizes, reboot your workstation and try to access the internet. If you have any issues, access the Router configuration page and re-enter your authentication information.
    [8]. Reboot the system and test the internet. You may have to reconfigure the router settings based on your setup.

NOTE: this does not get rid of malware. But if that was a cause of the problem, it should get you up again so you can check security out.

Thanks for the help. After posting this, I started getting messages about trojans and worms being on the computer and to click and enable firewall, but I wasn't connected on-line and things looked suspicious. Then something installed and things got worse so I called someone to come look at it and it ended up that the computer was really infected and system restore wouldn't have helped and we had to reinstall everything. I am now using firefox instead of windows explorer. He also added Adblock plus (is that good?).

Thanks! Sharon

What antivirus are you using now? You should be ok, as long as you keep Windows updated and do malware scans regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back