No Man's Sky is finally getting full multiplayer support

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Back in March, we got word that Hello Games would be releasing a massive update for No Man’s Sky this summer called “NEXT.” Billed as “the biggest ever,” Sean Murray was vague with the release date and details. However, it was speculated that the devs would finally give the space sandbox a full-fledged multiplayer mode.

Today Murray confirmed that the update would indeed bring genuine multiplayer to the game. The previous iteration of multiplayer left little to be desired.

“We are letting people know that you’ll be able to play No Man’s Sky as a full multiplayer experience with your friends in NEXT,” said the studio head. “We wanted to share our new cover art too.”

Murray had previously explained that they had decided to call the update NEXT because it was the “next step in a longer journey” for the studio and the players. Adding multiplayer support is undoubtedly a big step in the right direction when you consider Murray had said the game would be multiplayer at launch.

While he did note that the universe is so massive that the odds of two players ending up in the same location would be remote, this turned out to be a lie. There was no multiplayer support when the title released, and the company endured a massive amount of criticism over the issue.

It did come to light later that Sony had pushed Hello Games to release the game even though they knew it was not ready. Murray and team buckled to the pressure and launched a product that had no chance to live up to the hype.

To the studio’s credit, it has worked very hard over the last almost two years to improve the title, and there is no argument that the game has changed for the good. All the added content from the three major updates — Foundation, Pathfinder, Atlas Rises — has been free, and the fourth installment will be no different. Multiplayer support is the NEXT step in bringing No Man’s Sky to the level of quality that Hello Games promised.

The NEXT update will hit PlayStation 4 and PC on July 24. This date coincides with the launch of the long-awaited Xbox One version of the game.

Permalink to story.

I can't believe Murray is still willing to show his face after boldface lying to people for the release. I own this game but don't / won't play it anymore because of the deceit... This game needs to die and people need to stop supporting Hello Games because of it.

I can't believe Murray is still willing to show his face after boldface lying to people for the release. I own this game but don't / won't play it anymore because of the deceit... This game needs to die and people need to stop supporting Hello Games because of it.
But why does it need to die? While sure you can say that "Sean lied", it wasn't only his fault- as the article says, Sony pushed the release- A lot of features promised had to be cut out due to that. Now, the game is already nearly at the level promised pre-release, and this update, as confirmed by Sean on twitter, will add more pre-release features, expanding on single-player also. You can say "what if he is lying again?", but why would he? The update is free, if Hello Games wants to get some $$$, they need it to be good- and it releases in 69 days. I believe.

Sean lied, plain and simple. He could have published those so called "facts" when they happened, but instead he was happy to take the money and run. No respect for him and glad I never bought that bogus game!
He's actually using the money to reinvest in the game and if we get a good game out of it, then good for us. I don't own the game but I don't want people to pay for a game they hate. It's also been said many times Sony had pushed them to release the game.

Sean lied, plain and simple. He could have published those so called "facts" when they happened, but instead he was happy to take the money and run. No respect for him and glad I never bought that bogus game!
He is actually spending all that money to bring the game to where it should be. Respect for him and glad that I own the game now, after multiplayer has been announced. Read the actual article- Sean did not lie, at least not on purpose...

He is actually spending all that money to bring the game to where it should be. Respect for him and glad that I own the game now, after multiplayer has been announced. Read the actual article- Sean did not lie, at least not on purpose...
Then they should've done better to communicate that. As it stands, he lied (even if not on purpose) and let people be deceived at launch. That's not how you make friends with the people who would buy your game.

I bought the game on release and like everyone else I was disappointed, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did as it fleshed out into a decent game. I know the studio messed things up badly thanks in no small part to Sony but at least they are continuing to make amends. Also this is the only game I've ever played were I've accidentally killed an animal by crashing my exocraft up the poor creatures butt. I lept my nomad off a ledge and there was no way to avoid the creature on landing. It was hilerious at the time. :D
20171202223520_1.jpg

I bought the game on release and like everyone else I was disappointed, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did as it fleshed out into a decent game. I know the studio messed things up badly thanks in no small part to Sony but at least they are continuing to make amends. Also this is the only game I've ever played were I've accidentally killed an animal by crashing my exocraft up the poor creatures butt. I lept my nomad off a ledge and there was no way to avoid the creature on landing. It was hilerious at the time. :D
View attachment 84470
I have to say that it wasn't a dissapointment to me as a game and I never felt short-changed. I'm not a fan of MP in general (I've never tried the Elite:D MP) so that was irrelevant, though I did feel it lacked a bit of a story/motivation (but there was far more of story than Elite:D) but I happily spent more time in NMS pootling around than following the story in most other SP story-driven games I've bought. After seeing the games industry evolve over the years it was easy to conclude that the hidden issue with NMS was that Sony weren't the bedfellow for that little Indie company and that it was released too soon (and that Sony wouldn't want to be associated with an Early Access game). As a move to get the game released, hooking-up with Sony was the dissapointment for me.
What does excite me now is the potential for some real co-op, as long as that co-op experience can be towards a goal, ie the story. This is a game that does keep on giving and always has been value for money IMHO.

You've got to respect the guy for pushing on through all of the hate and continuing development of the game to a point where now you can recommend it to others (unlike other companies who keep abandoning their products). #****ea
Oh what a poor guy, getting all that undeserved "hate" and the only thing he did is scam people over a game to get away with millions of dollars. EA are scum, but even they don't lie as much as this guy and release games with not even half of what they promised. To just see some people defending him is ****ing ridiculous.

Oh what a poor guy, getting all that undeserved "hate" and the only thing he did is scam people over a game to get away with millions of dollars. EA are scum, but even they don't lie as much as this guy and release games with not even half of what they promised. To just see some people defending him is ****ing ridiculous.
But the value of the game now is worth it- and with NEXT coming up, I would gladly buy it again. He is spending all the money he got on /free/ updates. He did not run away. There are no Microtransactions, no paid DLC, no abandoning of the game- unlike Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 4 and many other AAA games.

Then they should've done better to communicate that. As it stands, he lied (even if not on purpose) and let people be deceived at launch. That's not how you make friends with the people who would buy your game.
Honestly, I have no idea what happened there- If you watch old footage and interviews, the game actually was there- the E3 2014-15 version was playable; the whole team, not just Sean, was very excited to publish it, talked all about those features that only now have made it into the game... I guess is that Sony pushed the launch, and put a taboo on talking about what happened- because it was not just "lies", there was some truth behind what Hello Games were saying. Peace.

But the value of the game now is worth it- and with NEXT coming up, I would gladly buy it again. He is spending all the money he got on /free/ updates. He did not run away. There are no Microtransactions, no paid DLC, no abandoning of the game- unlike Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 4 and many other AAA games.
He can afford to spend some money on the game now that he already rinsed people who bought it, don't be so naive. There are no DLCs because he can't afford to add them to a game that is already so fked up and on the brink of death. No reasonable person will ever support someone who is a fraud like him.

He can afford to spend some money on the game now that he already rinsed people who bought it, don't be so naive. There are no DLCs because he can't afford to add them to a game that is already so fked up and on the brink of death. No reasonable person will ever support someone who is a fraud like him.
You have some sort of hate boner or something? It's like you want to push the blame on just 1 guy, not the publisher and tight schedules. The character of a person can be seen in his work and how he responds to criticism and he clearly deserves a second chance. The whole "don't be naive" doesn't apply here - we are not talking about EA or something stupid like that.
BTW you are also wrong about how he "couldn't" afford to add DLC - it's not about how he didn't add DLC, it's about how he didn't just take the launch money and started a new project somewhere else like so many others do.

You have some sort of hate boner or something? It's like you want to push the blame on just 1 guy, not the publisher and tight schedules.
So tight schedules are the reason game was half released if even that? I'm pretty sure in that situation you delay the release rather than release it like that without any mention that it's not even close to being finished.
The character of a person can be seen in his work and how he responds to criticism and he clearly deserves a second chance.
Well his work is scamming people. Don't make him the victim, he is the one who blatantly lied, took loads of money and now 2 years later he is adding something that should've been there at release.
BTW you are also wrong about how he "couldn't" afford to add DLC - it's not about how he didn't add DLC, it's about how he didn't just take the launch money and started a new project somewhere else like so many others do.
Adding a DLC would be fatal for him and the game considering what happened on release, doesn't take a genius to realise that. Doesn't matter if he abandoned the game or not, doesn't make him less of a fraud.

You know if the game was just bad I wouldn't care that happens all the time, but this was nothing like that, this was a pure scam, nothing more. If you think it's not and they really wanted to make it work but couldn't, then you truly are gullible.

So tight schedules are the reason game was half released if even that? I'm pretty sure in that situation you delay the release rather than release it like that without any mention that it's not even close to being finished.

Well his work is scamming people. Don't make him the victim, he is the one who blatantly lied, took loads of money and now 2 years later he is adding something that should've been there at release.

Adding a DLC would be fatal for him and the game considering what happened on release, doesn't take a genius to realise that. Doesn't matter if he abandoned the game or not, doesn't make him less of a fraud.

You know if the game was just bad I wouldn't care that happens all the time, but this was nothing like that, this was a pure scam, nothing more. If you think it's not and they really wanted to make it work but couldn't, then you truly are gullible.

-Sony was managing the release and pushed it so it came out incomplete, not Sean.
-Why does it not matter if he abandoned the game or not? He could've simply leave the game like other developers and take the money- instead he uses it to fulfill the promises. Sean really cares about the game.
-His work was not lying, his work was making this game good- and **now** he has succeeded at it.
-The game was pretty playable even at the release, some people put 30+ hours into it before any updates came out. The game was boring, but had amazing graphics and good lore. Not a scam.
-Why do you care so much about a game you hate so much?
[Is someone paying you?]

-Sony was managing the release and pushed it so it came out incomplete, not Sean.
Definetly nothing he could to about it, right? Maybe use your brain for a second.
-Why does it not matter if he abandoned the game or not? He could've simply leave the game like other developers and take the money- instead he uses it to fulfill the promises. Sean really cares about the game.
Doesn't matter because he already took the money, holy ****. By your logic it's ok to scam people as long as after you scam them you don't run away like that makes it less of a scam.
-His work was not lying, his work was making this game good- and **now** he has succeeded at it
LOL. All he did is lie. Stop denying reality. He didn't succeed in making the game good because it's not, it's garbage. This is where it's obvious how much of a fanboy you are.
-The game was pretty playable even at the release, some people put 30+ hours into it before any updates came out. The game was boring, but had amazing graphics and good lore. Not a scam.
None of that. It is simply garbage. Only brainwashed fanboys can make poor excuses.
[Is someone paying you?]
I don't care about the game, I care about it being a scam because it harms the gaming industry and the people who bought it.
[Is someone paying you?]
No, but I should ask you the same question. Why would you ask that? New account made just to defend this utter garbage, suspicious.

Definetly nothing he could to about it, right? Maybe use your brain for a second.
Doesn't matter because he already took the money, holy ****. By your logic it's ok to scam people as long as after you scam them you don't run away like that makes it less of a scam.
-His work was not lying, his work was making this game good- and **now** he has succeeded at it
LOL. All he did is lie. Stop denying reality. He didn't succeed in making the game good because it's not, it's garbage. This is where it's obvious how much of a fanboy you are.
None of that. It is simply garbage. Only brainwashed fanboys can make poor excuses.
[Is someone paying you?]
I don't care about the game, I care about it being a scam because it harms the gaming industry and the people who bought it.
[Is someone paying you?]
No, but I should ask you the same question. Why would you ask that? New account made just to defend this utter garbage, suspicious.

You should take a break from gaming. Focus on something else. If you have this much hate over this, please take a step away from the PC/Gaming console.

From the way you talk you've never worked with a schedule. No, Sean couldn't have done anything about it. A schedule is a schedule, if you fail to deliver then the side that put the money down can just pull the plug. You have a ton of examples of games that never got released because of schedules not being met.

No wonder more than half of the stuff you say is just plain simply weird.

You also seem to not understand that this isn't about forgiving them. It's about looking back at what happened after the launch and see if he has done enough to warrant a second chance. All you are doing is signing a death sentence without any care in the world. If everybody thought like you then every bad game launch or bad update should mean the death of a game studio and the devs should not be allowed to work in the gaming industry ever again... it's not how the world works dude.

Last edited:
Why not to preorder simulator at its finest. It's nice to see them actually trying to make up for their f*ckup, although I think it's too little too late.

From the way you talk you've never worked with a schedule. No, Sean couldn't have done anything about it. A schedule is a schedule, if you fail to deliver then the side that put the money down can just pull the plug. You have a ton of examples of games that never got released because of schedules not being met.

No wonder more than half of the stuff you say is just plain simply weird.

You also seem to not understand that this isn't about forgiving them. It's about looking back at what happened after the launch and see if he has done enough to warrant a second chance. All you are doing is signing a death sentence without any care in the world. If everybody thought like you then every bad game launch or bad update should mean the death of a game studio and the devs should not be allowed to work in the gaming industry ever again... it's not how the world works dude.
I'm not saying anything weird, It's just you interpreting it to the best of your abilities, which I guess isn't enough. It seems you get the impression that I'm harsh and that I don't believe in second chances, I think you just ignore the fact that this game is a scam and a really big one and treat it like it was just another bad game. That's why I think you're gullible.

You should take a break from gaming. Focus on something else. If you have this much hate over this, please take a step away from the PC/Gaming console.
I'm afraid I won't be able to take your advice, dr.armchair pshycologist, go shitpost somewhere else.

I'm not saying anything weird, It's just you interpreting it to the best of your abilities, which I guess isn't enough. It seems you get the impression that I'm harsh and that I don't believe in second chances, I think you just ignore the fact that this game is a scam and a really big one and treat it like it was just another bad game. That's why I think you're gullible.

I'm afraid I won't be able to take your advice, dr.armchair pshycologist, go shitpost somewhere else.
Since you are using only the present tense then I was correct to assume that you don't believe in second chances. You may think I'm "gullible", but it doesn't change the simple fact that I read you like a book (you kinda made it too obvious, I didn't even need to read between the lines).
No, NMS is not currently a "scam" as you like to point out time and time again. If it was, people wouldn't be praising it right now and saying that it's worth buying it. It had a very problematic launch, but it has more than made up for it. In the end you are just really salty while not telling us the real reason why you feel like that. You are just sticking to insulting the game and devs which makes all of your arguments look superficial and childish.

You've made zero arguments as to why people should still hate the game now.

Last edited:
Back