No permission

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a solution for a problem I am experiencing - Google brought me to thread number 156887. [Hell, trying to create this thread I can't even use links!] I wanted to contact gescom, the starter of the thread. I registered, tried to reply in the thread - "no permission". I tried to write a PM to gescom, again: no permission. Then I found the "visitors messages" function in a user's profile. Again: no permission! Is this the regular policy for new users? I always thought, this kind of forums are living by everyones participation :-(

Not very motivating!

So now, here's my text for gescom:
Hey gescom,

I just registered to reply to your thread "Gradual System Crashing / Text Labels, Icons Blanking Out". For some reason I'm neither allowed to reply nor to write a PM - I hope this one gets through. I'm experiencing exactly the same problems as you are! System is 3-years old HP Compaq notebook running Windows XP. Text is randomly blanking out, Chrome tabs are crashing, etc - and it started about one week ago. Do you really think it is a software problem, even caused by malware? I actually would rather guess it's hardware related - but memchk86 could not find any errors. On a desktop pc I would exchange the graphic adapter...
Are there any news, did the fixes any help?

Good luck and best regards
Daniel

Might any of you guys with permission could either send a PM to gescom with a link to this thread, or let him know of my message?

Thanks very much,
Daniel

The thread in question, is a malware thread and the permissions are set so only the malware forum leaders, and the original poster can reply to any topics.

New users also have PM's restricted to begin with, but these disappear once you start posting away on the forum.

You will also find for the first 5-6 posts or so, that any links to add to posts are disabled. Again this will disappear after the first few posts.

Might I suggest you create a new thread in the Malware forum, and ask for assistance yourself please. Although your problem might be similar, the proceedures used to help assist with your problem are customised to each individuals computer, and therefore will require their dedicated assistance.

Your permissions should grant you access to create a new thread in that forum.

Hello Leeky,

thanks for your reply. I just have never seen so many resctrictions and am wondering if e.g. the PM function has been abused. I have no real motivation to be that active here. In some forums I'm already registered for ages (5-10 years) and have still made less then a douzen posts myself. Also, as I explained in my message to gescom (btw: Could you please let him know of this thread?), I actually doubt that it is a malware-related problem - creating a thread myself has no sense, although if it would be software-related, I absolutly agree in the point about the dedicated assistence.

I just mean, computers cause enough problems, I don't see the need to have problems contacting another user in a forum. They were developed to keep communication easy :)

Kind regards
Daniel

If you don't wish to create a thread for your own problem, that is certainly your prerogative but contacting a member through this forum is inappropriate. This particular forum is for website related issues and not for questions and answers for your computer problems nor is it a substitute for private messages with another member.

Hello mailpup,

you are quite right! I've chosen this forum (since it's called 'Site Feedback and Suggestions'), because it contains obviously critism (feedback) of the regulations for new members! I never wanted to discuss my problem here - I just had the hope, gescom (with 16 posts :) could let me know of his state via PN, after reading my message here, or he could even tell me his mail-contact, and then we would be able to communicate :) (Hell, that sounds easy).

But if I need another ten posts in this thread, I bet we all have wasted lots of time, solved nothing at all, but hey, then I'll at least be allowed to write PMs :)

Whats your suggestion, what should I do now? Quickly give some spam-like answers in threads I have no clou about, to reach any post-marks?

Regards
Daniel

PS: I'm really, really, in the need of a substitue for private messages :)

You are welcome to post questions and criticisms of the website and its regulations but if your other goal is to try to contact gescom by leaving this thread, you've already done that. So, short of trying to solve your computer problem by posting your own thread in the appropriate forum and if you insist on doing it your way, your options are limited.

Back