No picture on monitor

gingerbill

I have an oldish dual core PC , EP41-UD3L motherboard , 4 gig ram , GTX 260 running XP .

I stopped using it a couple of years ago and gave it to my dad , its sat gathering dust so I decided to set it up for him to use . It had 3 HDD in it , the main one I have in my new PC as a slave , currently in it is one IDE and one SATA HDD . I unplugged the IDE drive and got ready to re-install windows.

Problem is theres no picture on the monitor , I tried another monitor , same story, I put another graphics card in , same story . You cant plug a monitor into the motherboard so I assume theres no built in GPU. The PC ran fine for me last time I used it about 18 moths ago , the memory was removed but I put some more in.

Really got no idea what to do as with no picture I cant do anything and I'm stumped. I can't tell if everything/anything else is working without a picture , all the fans are going , all the motherboard LED lights are on. I can't hear any beeps at all when switching the PC on.

I havent built a PC for years or messed around with them but am I correct in thinking that even if the memory isnt working or the HDD ishould still get a picture? . Kind of hard to do anything without a picture.

Faulty RAM can stop a PC from even getting to the POST screen (the first bit you see on screen), yeah.

It's also entirely possible that the chipset or PCI slot on motherboard is fried.

Do as above: reseat the RAM. Try with only one stick in, in different slots, etc. Check to see if all fans are running.

If it has been actually gathering dust, as well as metaphorically, then I would give the thing a clean as well.

Back