No power to keyboard, mouse, and other periperals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently after reactivating windows on boot my keyboard and other usb accesories would not receive any power. My computer is a bit of a unusual setup, being an old install of windows media center supplied by dell. (Still has dell flash screen after award bios screen).
Specs:
Abit IP35 Pro
ATI 2900xt
Intel q6600 quad (idles at 25 C, loads at 39 C).
HDD 1x maxtor 250gb 7200rpm 1x samsung (dell windows install on this one) 160gb 7200rpm
PSU: Silvertone ST1000 (1kw)
Ample case fans, good cooling all around.

Originally after I put this proc in after christmas my comp would BSOD with errors ranging from win32k.sys to other drivers (ATI included) to PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
I then flashed bios with an updated version and my comp worked very well. After the weekend on vacation i came back and found my comp bluescreening again, and then this no power problem after a good 10 forced shut-downs. I just wanna make this clear, my monitor and speakers are working, and windows boots to the desktop with no errors. The keyboard works in BIOS and the mouse receives power in bios menus. Again, these are usb and i have tried to use a ps2 keyboard.

Thanks and a happy new year,
-theultimateanswer!

Is this a new install of Windows ?

If so have you loaded all the drivers / chipsets from your motherboard CD
You can also download these drivers from your m/b manufacturer.

Also have you got SP2 installed first

Did the PS2 keyboard work

No, this install came with my dell dimension 5100 about 3 years ago. I have loaded most of the drivers from my mobo cd (excluding RAID drivers) and the comp had worked fine. SP2 is installed and the ps2 keyboard worked in bios, but still not in OS.

controller on board going bad ??
check in bios for stop on errors make sure keyboard /mouse are checked or enabled
check the cable connections not likely ,but what the heck routine thing to do
this is based on 2 different keyboards??

I don't remember if bios uses the controller ,while in bios at time
it may not
when booted to OS then the I/O controller takes over keyboard /mouse

TY, but oddly enough i reset CMOS through the switch on the back of the mobo (much easier than jumpers!) and my computer works fine.. I change a setting with uGuru utility and BSOD errors start.... I reset again and comp works fine... I think it is because uGuru actually changes bios settings. Most likely problems with my in OS overclocking attempts.

I don't know a thing about that app.
but you can check the bios for a security check that does not allow the bios and MBR to be written to.
this is in place because at one time that was a great big back door for virus's
I don't allow any program to access bios
other than the flash from the manufacturer
watch out if this thing corrupts the bios chip you'll be looking for 35.00 to 50.00 out of pocket to replace

The good thing is this app was made by Abit and even has a section in bios labeled "uGuru"
My comp has been fine all day, i think the OCing did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back