No Signal to screen after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this site, so forgive any faults in this post.

Machine had powered itself off at some stage.

When it is now powered on, normal activity appears to take place, fans start up, keyboard lights flash, and the hard drive appears to work (can feel vibration) but nothing comes to the screen.

Can it be simply that the video card is blown ? or are ther other options I can try before acquiring another video card. (type: Ge Force PCX).

Hi TomArd and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

What you have is a fail to post situation, there are several reasons for this and the fact that the machine "just" turned itself off leads me to believe it may be more than just a failed graphics card.

We suggest when this happens to strip the system down to just the VGA card 1 stick of memory and of course the CPU, and see if it boots then, if you have more than 1 stick of memory try each one.

If at this basic level it doesnt POST then its time to swap out the VGA card then the memory and finally the board in an attempt to find out what has failed.

A failed PSU can also cause the problem of POST fail, if you dont have spare parts then your only option is to take it to a repair shop where the needed parts can be tested.

Regards

Thanks for your help.
I have only one memory stick and when I booted without that I got the "beeps".

I should also have mentioned that there was thunder in the area before i discovered that the machine had powered itself down (another PC on the same circuit was unaffected).

Can an element of the PSU fail ? I have never had a problem with a PSU and just assumed it worked or didn't work.

The machine is a Tidy S34 with 3 dials on the front. One of these is "VU" which is at zero, it goes from 0 to 100db, (the other 2 dials "Volt" and "Temp" are showing readings.) I'm not sure what that dial would normally show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back