No video from 8600 GT video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconrob

I thought I had posted but seeing as I cannot find it I am going to post using the guideline I found as a "sticky" on the upgrading your video post. BTW I am from America (Va) and my budget is whatever it will take to get this thing fixed. I spent ~$120 on the video card.

My specs will be posted below.

This fiasco all began when I noticed my computer rebooting itself at night after I had gone to bed. The error was related to a nv_4 found in the event viewer. After a few weeks the compter began to shut itself down while I was using it. I started to troubleshoot. I used a different monitor and cable and the video shut off for the last time. I had to switch to my onboard viseo to see anything. Everything works just fine using the onboard video as you can see from this post. I went out and bought a Nvidia 8600GT and upgraded my powersupply to what you see below. If the stars align (I don't have any rhyme or reason why this works) I sometimes get the new GT video board to work and it will for a few days without an issue. I can play Silent Hunter and America's Army and all is well. When the board fails it is usually on a morning when I get up and try to wake the computer up from hibernation. The computer doesn't even try to wake up. The monitor stays black. If I shut down the power and turn it back on the HD blinks once or twice and doesn't try to come up. To get the computer to come up I have to switch to onboard video. It appears to come up if I do that. I have had the video card working 2 times now only to fail a few days later. I sure could use some help. I have seen quite a few posts on this issue and it doesn't make sense. HELP!

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Code Name Manchester
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Package Socket 939
Family/Model/Stepping F.B.1
Extended Family/Model F.2B
Brand ID 5
Core Stepping BH-E4
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2004.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 10.0 x 200.4 MHz
HT Link speed 1002.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100 rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP rev. A2
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 200.4 MHz (CPU/10)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 8 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 11 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

System

System Manufacturer Gateway
System Name GM5045E
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor
Mainboard Model C51MCP51
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version 6.00 PG
BIOS Date 02/10/2006

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Samsung
Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Goldenmars Technology
Module 3 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Samsung
Module 4 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Centon

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

My power supply has the following:

3.3v 28a
5v 42a
+12v1 20a
+12v2 20a (total 27a)
-12v 1a
-5v 0.8a
+5vsb 2.5a
PS450W (Supplier???)

1. Motherboard - Foxconn model listed above
2. Graphic interface - onboard 6100 used to have the 6200 turbo cache but that started to fail as I mentioned.
3. Memory - 4 sticks of 500mb to total 2G
4. CPU - Athlon
5. CPU Speed - 2GHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model -
7. Watt output/Amperage

Where is Va? I would suggest that you try another power supply. I look like your power supply is a "no name" supply. Something around 600 watts will do better for the 8800

Va is Virginia

Another power supply? why has it worked before? Just so confusing. Would I be safe buying a new card, maybe a lower class?

This sound correct

I am coming around to the power supply idea. I looked up the specs on what evga says I should have for a power supply. Here is what is written:

8600GT 512MB and 1GB models
Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(minimum +12 Volt current rating of 22 amps)

I have 20amps on my two 12v rails (who knows how accurate that is on a Athenatech Inc power supply) Does the above ask for 22amps on each rail? If so I am understanding my issue better "I think". Please let me know your opinion.

Now that I have my manufacturer of the power supply as Athenatech Inc, what is the take on this manufacturer? Junk? Good? ....

Ok falconrob,
I lived in Richmond, Va for 12 years ;) Your Athenatech Inc power supply may work but I consider it a "no name junk" supply. There are things like motherboard, CPU and add-on devices that can have a bearing on power supply loading. All these besides the video card...

A large amount of Amperage on a single +12v rail is desireable, since the load on the rails is never distributed evenly across both. Here's a better one. It has 30A on a single +12v rail(Don't be fooled by newegg, they listed it as 2 17A rails), and should work well with an 8800GT as well as with the 8600GT.

I have never heard of Athenatech, I've seen a bunch of crappy cases on newegg made by them though, but thats it.

Thanks for the feedback here's another question

Do I need to worry about burning up my traces or anything for that matter on my motherboard if I buy the powersupply you mentioned? I want to be sure that by going to a "better quality" power supply I won't end up with a blown up motherboard. I am not sure if this is even a risk but I do want to be sure I can use the power supply you suggested. My motherboard is in the specs at the beginning of this thread.

I appreciate the help. Thank you.

It should not blow up, lol, if anyhthing you have a less chance of blowing up than when you had this PSU. It has a 20+4 pin mobo connector so you don't have to worry about compatibility. Heck, I'm using one and it's holding up a Dual-Core Opteron, 2GB of DDR2, 3 Hard Drives, a 9600GT, and a Lightscribe DVD+RW.

I am looking to buy the EA430 like you both suggested, and from New Egg. I'll report back sometime later when installed.

A more powerful supply will neither fry your components nor increase your utility bill, since your PC will still only draw the amount of power it needs and nothing more. Whether you use a 700W PSU or a 400W one, it won't matter.

BTW, nice call on the PSU Obi.

Please Help Me!

I bought the power supply suggested(Antec earthwatts 430) and still just the onboard video works but the new card does not. What can I try next?

It may be the card then. Try one from a friend's PC if you can and see if it works. If it does, your card is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back