Nokia CEO hints at switching to another mobile OS

Emil

Staff

Nokia sold 28.3 million smartphones during Q4 2010, up from 20.8 million in Q4 2009 and 26.5 million in Q3 2010. While Espoo is definitely seeing growth, Q4 2010's number represents 31 percent share of the smartphone market in that quarter, according to the company's own estimates, down from 40 percent in Q4 2009 and 38 percent in Q3 2010.

Many believe that the company needs to adopt a new operating system, and we're not just talking about Meego. Android has been suggested, but for various reasons, including the fact that Nokia CEO Stephen Elop worked for Microsoft from January 2008 to September 2010, the consensus is that Windows Phone 7 is on the table. During this past quarter's earnings conference call, Elop certainly hinted that adopting a new mobile OS and ecosystem is possible, according to All Things Digital:

"There are clearly some gems upon we will build Nokia's strategy," Elop said. At the same time, he said the company must move faster than it has if it hopes to regain lost ground. In particular, Elop said the company must have a better strategy around operating systems. "The game has changed from battle of devices to war of ecosystems," Elop said, adding later that "Our industry has changed and we have to change faster." Although Elop didn't name any names, he did talk about the need for the company to "build or join a competitive ecosystem," suggesting that it might be open to shifting to a competing platform. And while he wouldn't confirm such a move, he said that the company could pull off such a switch because of its strong brand and relationship with operators.

Nokia's Strategy and Financial Briefing will be taking place in London on February 11, 2011. Let's hope that after we wait patiently over the next two weeks, Elop will tell us something much more specific about the company's roadmap.

Permalink to story.

Oh man, I really hope they start developing with WP7. I think this would be a huge benefit to both Nokia and Microsoft.

I`m rooting for Android but I guess it`s a lost cause. A Google Nexus N would have been awesome though...

I really hope Nokia does not sell out and go WP7. Then they might as well start selling solar powerd calculators. WP7 is not an Os, its a glorafied Etch A Sketch.

Android is great, a bit young still, but come on. Android have nothing on Symbian just because its still so fragmented, and alot of mobile manufacturers still lock down the system and give you ancient versions. (see xperia x10). and we need competition, not all marching to the same drum. Andriod is going to be big, and is big, but there is still some years until its manture enough.

Symbian is the most stable and competent mobile OS out there. Is also the most energy efficient.
MeeGo will kick *** when its finalised, but for now Symbian is still king.

You dont sell 100 million Symbian devices in a year and then just go over to another OS just because some americans does not understand anything beyound flashing lights and limited OS:es with a glossy GUI. . Yes I mean you Engadget and friends
If you want new innovative hardware features, you go Nokia, its that simple.
If you want a energy efficent OS to run it, you go Symbian.

What cant you do with these devices. It was after all Nokia that sold one of the first smartphones ever. The first if you dont count IBM's Simon
...when did Apple produce its first touchphone ..2007? ....when did Nokia?....2004
When did Nokia create its first smartphone .. .1996

If you want a limited, but for some a pretty experience for kids you go iOS. If you think Windows ME was the best MS ever created, you go WP7.

If you like to customize and want freedome, some technical great advancments, OS wise, you go Android.
If you are a techsawwy geek that wants no limits what so ever, except you own imagination, you go Symbian.

Do you want to think for youself and create you own solutions, go Android or Symbian, later on also meego.

If you want a powerhungry ***** to say what you can say and do, and if you are easiely distracted by flashy lights and bullshit explinations ...go iOS.
If you have no clue, and like limitations, and no support even for otherproducts from the same manufacturers, and a step back in time...go WP7

(...and a side note . Manufacturers that no longer have their own Os, and instead went for Android, and some WP7, not going so well lately. LG, Motorola and Sony Ericsson is starting to loose sales. People ar hardly mentioning their brands anymore, just the name Android, how is that going to effect these companies in the long run? Why buy a LG Android or a SE, when you might as well buy a HTC or a Samsung? Docomo is atleast smart, they are still producing upcoming symbian phones as well. WP7 .. yeah .. ask LG how well that have been so far. )

JudaZ said:
I really hope Nokia does not sell out and go WP7. Then they might as well start selling solar powerd calculators. WP7 is not an Os, its a glorafied Etch A Sketch.

Android is great, a bit young still, but come on. Android have nothing on Symbian just because its still so fragmented, and alot of mobile manufacturers still lock down the system and give you ancient versions. (see xperia x10). and we need competition, not all marching to the same drum. Andriod is going to be big, and is big, but there is still some years until its manture enough.

Symbian is the most stable and competent mobile OS out there. Is also the most energy efficient.
MeeGo will kick *** when its finalised, but for now Symbian is still king.

You dont sell 100 million Symbian devices in a year and then just go over to another OS just because some americans does not understand anything beyound flashing lights and limited OS:es with a glossy GUI. . Yes I mean you Engadget and friends
If you want new innovative hardware features, you go Nokia, its that simple.
If you want a energy efficent OS to run it, you go Symbian.

What cant you do with these devices. It was after all Nokia that sold one of the first smartphones ever. The first if you dont count IBM's Simon
...when did Apple produce its first touchphone ..2007? ....when did Nokia?....2004
When did Nokia create its first smartphone .. .1996

If you want a limited, but for some a pretty experience for kids you go iOS. If you think Windows ME was the best MS ever created, you go WP7.

If you like to customize and want freedome, some technical great advancments, OS wise, you go Android.
If you are a techsawwy geek that wants no limits what so ever, except you own imagination, you go Symbian.

Do you want to think for youself and create you own solutions, go Android or Symbian, later on also meego.

If you want a powerhungry ***** to say what you can say and do, and if you are easiely distracted by flashy lights and bullshit explinations ...go iOS.
If you have no clue, and like limitations, and no support even for otherproducts from the same manufacturers, and a step back in time...go WP7

(...and a side note . Manufacturers that no longer have their own Os, and instead went for Android, and some WP7, not going so well lately. LG, Motorola and Sony Ericsson is starting to loose sales. People ar hardly mentioning their brands anymore, just the name Android, how is that going to effect these companies in the long run? Why buy a LG Android or a SE, when you might as well buy a HTC or a Samsung? Docomo is atleast smart, they are still producing upcoming symbian phones as well. WP7 .. yeah .. ask LG how well that have been so far. )

Well, hello there fanboy with a huge, pointless rant :)

WP7 is as much of an OS as any other. It's fresh off the block and has some needed refining, but otherwise is fantastic. There is a load of fantastic features and a lot about the OS that people are drawn to. You say we need competition and for all to not march to the same drum? Hellooooo! Open your eyes! What do you think Microsoft is doing with WP7? Your perspective on WP7 is simply immature.

Android is great. It's also perfectly mature and continues to mature as well as any other OS on the market. It definitely has fragmentation issues, but that's what you get with an open source OS for a device that the average consumer replaces every couple of years.

If Nokia's OS was as totally amazingly perfect as you seem to think, then the company wouldn't be in talks about moving to another OS. It's is simple as that.

Also, who cares who produced the first smart phone? Apple, Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia... people care about what's available now.

Gosh, rereading your post... I can't tell if you're just a glorified troll or sadly just a serious poster who is very ignorant about any OS besides symbian. I wish I had more time to respond.

treeski said:
Also, who cares who produced the first smart phone? Apple, Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia... people care about what's available now.

well it was IBM

treeski said:

Gosh, rereading your post... I can't tell if you're just a glorified troll or sadly just a serious poster who is very ignorant about any OS besides symbian. I wish I had more time to respond.

I'm not ignorent about other OS:es .. i have an iPhone (sure only an 3GS, but why buy a new version of something you didnt like), i have and Android phone (currently x10), and several Symbianphones. Nokia N8-00 , C7-00 and still an N95., also a Nokia OS 7230 :) ..... No WP7 , but I have tried it, and i have had a windows mobile 6.5, that was an totally ok Os, didnt sell very well though

WP7 is basiclly windows mobile 6.5 Lite

It the same base, but with pretty makup, and lots of removed features.

....Nokia in talkes about another OS? ...
yeah ... this is the same old rumours Eldar keeps trying to spread, still pissed of about not getting to leading the livejournal group in russia. ... He also claimed the N8 camera was worthless, that 100% of the N8 would fail within days. (mine been running 3 months fine thank you) and that Nokia was about to drop symbian (5 times a year)

Nokia is thinking about a new OS ...MeeGo.

by the way ..if I am a fanboy of anything it is actually Microsoft.. thats why WP7 pisses me of so.
Why why remove features and go the Apple route? Why Ms why???

also tierd of people going on and on about Android, an complaning about Nokia features that dont exist and make stuff up (like Engadget. they even claimed the E7 had a resistive sceen...hello?? what they didnt get was a theme feature, that you can turn of with 3 clicks, that they clamed was a bug, and then interpeted it to be a diffrent type of hardware then it actually is)

...but i must admit, it was a rant on my part

Android FTW

Still takes several companies like Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Motorola and still... they barely now beat one company running Symbian, Nokia (I'm not counting DoCoMo eventhough they are releasing new symbian devices as well)

Android is great, but I dont think its anything for Nokia.

also one major thing on the american market. Many buy Android phones, if they like it or not . ...until recently only one company sold the iPhone. Almost every other phone on every other service provider sells android phones, and nothing else ....ok some RIM devices..

So if you couldnt get or didnt want AT&T you where stuck with Android.

Unless you import an unlocked Nokia device.

This because Nokia so far has refused to bow down to demands of big american service providers, so you cant get them unless you are prepared to buy it at full price and get full freedom of operator you want.
(does for some strange reason not seem to be a popular thing to do over there)

a big reason the Nokia X7 was cancelled with AT&T ... they provider started demanding Nokia locking down the features in the device...and Nokia said **** off.

Back