Nokia demonstrates 1Tbps data transfer technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

When discussing fast Internet options in the US, Verizon’s FiOS service is usually near the top of the list. Sure, it’s not a quick as a 1Gbps fiber connection from AT&T or Google but it is way better than what most people have access to.

Even 1Gbps will soon pale in comparison as some companies are working on 10Gbps technology. Yet even that will be slow compared to a new technique Nokia recently demonstrated.

The field test, which actually took place last week but wasn’t widely reported until now, involved Nokia Bell Labs, Deutsche Telekom T-Labs and the Technical University of Munich. Using a technique called Probabilistic Constellation Shaping (PCS), they achieved a net transmission rate of 1Tbps (1,000Gbps) via fiber connection.

That’s close to the theoretical maximum information transfer rate – the Shannon Limit – of an optical fiber network and makes FiOS look like a dial-up connection.

As the Technical University of Munich points out, the trial used quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) formats to achieve higher transmission capacity over a given channel to significantly improve the spectral efficiency of optical communications.

While most of us would give an arm and a leg for a 1Tbps connection to the home, that’s not what they’ll be used for (at least, not for a while). Instead, as ZDNet notes, such pipelines will help meet the growing demand for higher-capacity networks (for which we can thank streaming and our mobile data addiction).

Photo courtesy Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I look forward to when the technology is implemented in the telecoms / ISP industry.
A single 1Tbps line could run over 16.5 million simultaneous calls at standard PSTN calls (64Kbps per channel)! or 5,000 Virgin Media 'Big Kahuna' 200Mbps lines when it eventually trickles down to consumers in 20 years.

Many many a moons ago, I remember sitting in the break room at work talking with a co-worker about tech in general. I remember he mentioned that certain hospitals have a connection between themselves (& internet) at 1Gbps. To this day I remember how my mind was blown for about 2 weeks! I just could't believe such a thing was even possible.

forward a multitude of a moons...forward...and yes, 1Tbps is astounding, but my mind isn't blown. Perhaps it's because I know that improvements in tech is to be expected?

Regardless...awesome stuff! How fast would people reach their 250GB limits? :p

Many many a moons ago, I remember sitting in the break room at work talking with a co-worker about tech in general. I remember he mentioned that certain hospitals have a connection between themselves (& internet) at 1Gbps. To this day I remember how my mind was blown for about 2 weeks! I just could't believe such a thing was even possible.

forward a multitude of a moons...forward...and yes, 1Tbps is astounding, but my mind isn't blown. Perhaps it's because I know that improvements in tech is to be expected?

Regardless...awesome stuff! How fast would people reach their 250GB limits? :p

In exactly 2 seconds! :D

Back