Non Bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this belongs here, so if not hopefully its moved to the right location or someone can point me to the right fourm.

Got a compaq computer, a basic one, one day the orginial hard drive went out so i went and bought a Seagate one, it came with a cd, i installed the new Harddrive, put the Cd in, have it where the cd rom boots before harddrive, cd works i follow instructions and make it where it has xp partitions then it tells me to eject disk and put in OS disk and restart.. So i do and the COMPAQ in red letters come up then a blinking curious like this _ blinks for a min then says

"NO OS SYSTEM FOUND ON HARD DRIVE PLEASE INSERT OS CD PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD ROM" (not EXACT wording but close) so i put in xp pro cd and press any key and the same damn message pops up so its like the CD rom i have isnt reading the cd.. however it reads the seagate install just fine. SO therefore i run the wizard again whip the drive re-put xp partitions on.. now im getting this

"NTLDR IS MISSING press ctrl alt and del to restart"

i have tried a number of things, looked at the guide on this fourm, but i cant get the blue windows xp window to show up sense its not booting from the cd no more. I have had this same problem but i have gotten it to work i just cant remember how. IF someone can refresh my memories that would be great. I got it to work with Windows Home one time in the past but have whipped the drive clean sense sense i was gonan use it just as storage on this computer.. and now im using a Windows PRO cd trying to get windows on it again for my newphew to have a computer.. does it matter im using a diff. version of windows now? i figured sensed i wiped the drive clean it wouldn't matter..

I have also copied all files from this computers hard drive, into the seagate and tried to put that seagate with all the copied files into the broken computer and all i get is a blinking curious like this _ no messages pop up.. So i whipped the hard drive clean again put xp partitions and get the NTLDR is missing message.

I don't got a floppy on this computer, i was thinking of burning the boot up files on a cd-rom but i don't see how i can put that in then xp in at the same time unless it asks for disks.. haven't tried it yet.. not sure how all that works.

any ideas would be great.

PS. I have the jumper set to "cabled enabled" or something like that.. I did have it on MASTER and tried it and same errors.. I have tried every Jumper combo it shows on the front of the HD. If it absolutely matters to have ti on MASTER before whipping then please say so.

g0d53nd said:
so i went and bought a Seagate one, it came with a cd.

Not sure what CD you are referring to.

But this is the clearest answer to give you

Turn on your computer
You will notice a hit DEL (or F1 or F2 or F10 or other) message, to go into setup
This is the computer's setup bios - we need to go in there to set the CD drive to first boot.
Once in the computer's setup screen, locate the boot (or startup) sequence and change it to:
1st boot device = Cd
2nd boot device = Hard Disk Drive
3rd (doesn't matter)
Once the order has been updated, pls Save and Exit you system bios (usually F10)
Place your Windows CD in the drive (not that other unknown Cd)
Restart your computer
When prompted to Hit Any Key to Boot From Cd (just hit the space bar)
You are now starting Windows Setup from your Windows Setup Cd

I hope this helps

I usually run Cable Select (on the HDD pins) but pls try Master if the fault persists

god53nd
When you first used the seagate CD for the new drive, did you format the new drive?. You did not mention this. That may be your problem.
After you format the new drive with the seagate CD then you can install the operating system following the instruction

kimsland - Thanks for suggestion I have tried this, and when i put in the Windows CD, I can hear the CD Rom loading it up then i get the "Missing NTLDR Please Restart''

Eddy Rassy - I have used this computer, but in the harddrive i do want to put in the broken one and did "right click>format" i did do that and put it in the computer and still get the NTLDR.. I haev also used the seagate cd it came with and picked "set up new harddrive" picked it wipped it clean and made a xp partition.. is this the same as formating it? or should i format it and just try xp cd first?

g0d53nd said:
kimsland - Thanks for suggestion I have tried this, and when i put in the Windows CD, I can hear the CD Rom loading it up then i get the "Missing NTLDR Please Restart''

This means you are NOT booting from the CD
Please confirm that the CD starts first

Only the harddrive startup can give this message
Have you set bios to load CD first
Is the CD connected properly

god53nd
After you did the XP partition, then you have to format the drive for FAT32 not before.
I am not sure what to tell you but keep on trying to boot from the windows XP CD if the drive was properly setup by seagate CD where the first level format is done it should boot up from XP CD.
You may try to run the seagate disk wizard again and start over
Good luck

do not format fat32
has follows
forget the seagate disc if it's IDE HDD
put the disc in, reboot , on a regular desktop machine hit delete key
exceptions are boot prompts from HP or dell or gateway can be
F9 to change boot order on the fly
or F1 to get to bios
once in bios find boot order make sure cd or optical drive is 1st
and HDD 2nd
do F10 or find save and exit
say yes
on auto reboot the install disc should have prompt to boot from cd if not
and you still get a error the optical drive is not reading disc,the disc is dirty or a bad,broken (illegal) intall disc
if it does load after the F8 prompt do install you should see the drive or drives to install to
here's where you will delete all partitions on c drive
and then make new ones then format same (NTFS format)
WARNING: if you want to save any data on the drive you should find a way to copy first.

ok i got everything to work, i ran the setup disk for the seagate, made it xp partitions , then i put in a DIFFERENT xp disk the home edition one my friend happen to have and it worked, so maybe the xp pro just was bad, at least i want to say it was, but i have had it work before *shrugs* anyways thanks for all help and pointing me in the right direction everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back