Non-install error code 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC refused to boot up today. I am running Windows XP, and it hung up right before the network login screen (the cntl+alt+del screen). It gets the blue background, and mouse cursor, but nothing else.
I tried to reboot into safe mode, but it hangs up there also before the login screen.
Next I tried to repair / reload WinXP using the Boot from CD and my system disk, but it gives me the following error:

\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe followed by error code 7.

Google search results give various ways to fix, but all involve copying the missing file into the windows folder, but thats not possible since I cant even get booted up. None of the BIOS settings were changed from my usual settings, and I have more than enough RAM to run windows unless they BOTH failed simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

Error Message: Ntkrnlmp.exe Could Not Be Loaded Error Code 7

Do #2 first, follow by #2 if that doesn't work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580

This issue may occur if your computer's BIOS has issues when ACPI is enabled.
(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)

Something changed or you wouldn't be getting the error.

Yeah, I've already been there.

#1 doesnt work for me because I am not upgrading.. I'm just trying to repair my existing XP

#2 has been tried several times, including booting straight from the CD-ROM, to no avail. Every way I try it ends up in the ntkrnlmp.exe and error code 7.

So,...

Is there another way to re-install XP besides booting from CD-ROM? Or is there a way to restore the default BIOS settings?

Are these the only two possible causes for the Error 7 message?

I have replaced both sticks of RAM and still got the same error... So I moved my HDD to another skeleton PC I had, and got another BSOD, but not the error 7.

Could this be something on my HDD?

To verify, I am going to slave my HDD to another working PC tonight, and see where that gets me.

As you will have seen when you searched, the error code you got is well documented. I pulled 3 things out:

1. Hardware failure
2. Registry problem
3. BIOS change

I can't find any consistency except that "something" that is vital to the operating system can't or won't load. Not news to you, I know. I don't know how much RAM you have- 2 sticks = ??. Is it possible that the motherboard can't support it?

You can try accessing the BIOS- see if you can get default settings in.

I wouldn't mind knowing what make and model your computer is. sometimes we find specific problem showing up on a specific make and/or model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back