Northbridge and southbridge too much hot / Windows 8.1 don't use total cpu clock

I have a GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard, but the southbridge and northbridge are overheating, I exchanged the heatsinkers, passed some thermalpaste, and putted an tiny cooler on top of the northbridge heatsink to try to make it less hot, I don't have an pc case yet so I think it make an difference on heat circulation, and I still curious about that amout of heat generation, and afraid of getting another broken motherboard.

And about the Window 8.1 issue, I don't know why, but in Windows 7, the OS uses the 3 GHz ,but WIndows 8.1 only used 2.79 GHz, maybe some incompatibility with the motherboard?(I don't use Windows 8.1 on the pc, but I don't find the answer to that question on Google or any other place)
  • Motherboard: GA-G41M-ES2L Rev 1.0 Bios version: F9
  • Processor: Intel Pentium E5700 @3.00 GHz
  • GPU: Nvidia 8400 GS (Overclocked)
  • RAM: DDR 2 1x1 Gb and 1x2Gb ,all at 667MHz
  • Nothbridge temperature: 35°C (With cooler and custom heatsink)
PS:Sorry by my bad english, maybe you find some erros, but I expect you can help me on my issues and curiosities

PS²: I don't know how to get southbridge temperature, if someone knows how to do it, I would be appreciated to know how:D

The bridges, they run pretty hot when all is 'ok'. 35C looks real good to me. Ventilation if out of case is good idea, especially if room is hot (>23C). Case will channel ventilation across motherboard and out the PSU. An extra fan can help too, but is not essential.

Since you have an older system, I would suggest renewing thermal paste on both CPU and GPU - though be careful with removing heatsink on GPU as it may use thermal pads. I would not overclock an older GPU as it could easily exceed design temp. 75C is 'ok'. Put an extra fan on this if you see it higher. As to CPU >74C is not good.

There are several free utilities which measure temps, but you may need to try 2 or 3 to find one which 'knows' your system.

As to " in Windows 7, the OS uses the 3 GHz ,but WIndows 8.1 only used 2.79 GHz", I wonder if this could be evidence of the Specter patch. It might also be chipset drivers. Tough to tell.

You have the latest BIOS, so according to the QVL you could upgrade CPU to a Quad (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-ES2L-rev-10#support-cpu).

3 sticks of 2GB RAM would give you 8GB ( see https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-ES2L-rev-10#support-doc for the QVL). Matched set of 4x2GB might clock better.

Very careful shopping on eBay might get you a Quad and RAM for less than $40 (check 'sold' for what is actually paid, do not hesitate to offer less on a 'best offer', be careful about large shipping cost offers, stick to 'used' or better for guaranty, bid only on vendors with many positive transactions who are in same country/region).

The bridges, they run pretty hot when all is 'ok'. 35C looks real good to me. Ventilation if out of case is good idea, especially if room is hot (>23C). Case will channel ventilation across motherboard and out the PSU. An extra fan can help too, but is not essential.

Since you have an older system, I would suggest renewing thermal paste on both CPU and GPU - though be careful with removing heatsink on GPU as it may use thermal pads. I would not overclock an older GPU as it could easily exceed design temp. 75C is 'ok'. Put an extra fan on this if you see it higher. As to CPU >74C is not good.

There are several free utilities which measure temps, but you may need to try 2 or 3 to find one which 'knows' your system.

As to " in Windows 7, the OS uses the 3 GHz ,but WIndows 8.1 only used 2.79 GHz", I wonder if this could be evidence of the Specter patch. It might also be chipset drivers. Tough to tell.

You have the latest BIOS, so according to the QVL you could upgrade CPU to a Quad (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-ES2L-rev-10#support-cpu).

3 sticks of 2GB RAM would give you 8GB ( see https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-ES2L-rev-10#support-doc for the QVL). Matched set of 4x2GB might clock better.

Very careful shopping on eBay might get you a Quad and RAM for less than $40 (check 'sold' for what is actually paid, do not hesitate to offer less on a 'best offer', be careful about large shipping cost offers, stick to 'used' or better for guaranty, bid only on vendors with many positive transactions who are in same country/region).

About the GPU temperature, it stays about 49~51°C in overclock and CPU stays in 37° idle, and in full use stays about 45°, I changed their thermalpads (the first thing I made when I got the gpu was cleaning), and about the temperature software, I still in search of it, I tried Speedfan, with no sucess, and now I'm trying HWMonitor, which only shows NB temp.

About the clock issue on Windows 8.1, I think it can be more probably due to motherboard drivers, because I had some issues when using SATA DVD driver and SATA HDD at same time, the DVD driver was recognised on BIOS but not in OS, when I changed to 7, it goes fine, recognises both two, and uses total cpu clock.

So, the RAM sticks, the motherboard only have two slots, and it only booted with two RAM sticks of 8 which I tested on it, and sometimes it won't boot with those who previously worked, I think it can be an chipset issue.

And, about the eBay, so... I don't have money and international credit card to afford an quad-core, neither 2x4Gb RAM sticks, my setup, I just builded it because it was really cheap (80R$ which was the repair cost, the vendor selled me an broken motherboard for 135R$).

Sounds like you are doing really well with this. Maybe there is a local version of eBay. 3GB can be a bottleneck - but not so much if you are using a 32 bit OS.

Keep up the good work. (Perhaps if you show it or tell about it to vendor, he will give you a job fixing machines.)

Sounds like you are doing really well with this. Maybe there is a local version of eBay. 3GB can be a bottleneck - but not so much if you are using a 32 bit OS.

Keep up the good work. (Perhaps if you show it or tell about it to vendor, he will give you a job fixing machines.)
Sorry, I forgot to mention I use x64 system, but in the case, both of them will recognize 3Gb (x86 Linux distros only recognize 2Gb)

And thanks to honoring my post, I'm really thankful of all help you folks are giving me!

Back